The four legged Canine

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Lotus007, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Lotus007

Lotus007 Senior IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]I am terribly scared of pets, but love to see people who cuddle and keep them at home taking good care of them. It is not easy to have pets, as we should be able to take care of them fully else we should not take over this responsibility.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Lotus,

I agree with you totally. I have seen owners locking their pets up in apartments and hang out till late nights. The dog sits near the main door and keeps whimpering when it dawns just like a child waiting for his parents to return home after work. It has been very taxing to see such sights. I feel animals are not suited for apartment houses as they movement is restricted and they do not get enough exercise too. A good post to ramble on.

3. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Hi pal

I love the young pets especially kittens and pup however I am too scare if they rattle around wagging their short tails and licking up with moist mouth ever.. I love to see them at a distance. I feel sad when it is locked up with "give me freedom" filled eyes.

I enjoyed reading story of Honeybun and what a nice explanation of a doggie's body language..

cheers
    Lakshmi

4. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Mals

Beg to diasgree with you that apartments aint suited for pets ... huge dogs like a Great dane may be ...

it all depends on how much you take care of them !!!

Pets ( especially dogs) need to be taken out in the early morning , afternoon , evening and once before retiring for the night .

Its not that pets in apartment blocks are left unattended!! Out of the ten dogs that come to the vet, 50% of them are never accompanied by their owners :) ( I can say this as a fact because I do voluntary work )..

Finally it all boils down to ... your life time commitment .. when people ask me for my opinion regarding having a pet at home.. my only answer is - If you are willing to treat them as you treat your children and love them more than yourself .. then go ahead .. otherwise please dont !!! Also please note ... your kids will grow up and become indepedent ... your pet wont !!! Its like having a perennial child at home :)

I am sure Paulina and others would agree !!!

cheers

Bhooma

5. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Bhooma :hiya,

Agree with you whole heartedly !! Our pets are like our kids ....I like the way you have put it across ..."having a perennial child at home ".Only those of us sitting in an empty nest with the children all flown away to distant lands can truly appreciate this feeling.
    Our two dogs Romeo and Juliet are the light of our lives and they are always with us except when we have to go out.
    There is no problem about having pets in apartments provoded there is no restriction on it.It all depends on how much effort one can put in to keep a pet happy and to see that its basic neds are met.Ofcourse big breeds are difficult as they need more space to exercise. But there are so many smaller or medium sized breeds that can be kept in the apartment.We never let our pets be locked out or chained up outside. No doubt they are both highly pampered ...but thats the whole point of having a pet to love and cuddle.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

P.S. A big woof woof to Joshua from Romeo and Juliet