1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Fame Affliction

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The two things I am really allergic to are riches and fame. Well I, on second thoughts I don’t mind being rich(Provided the taxmen don’t come calling) but fame? No, thank you very much.

As far as I am concerned fame is the unnerving feeling that lot of people whom you don’t know, know you.

Believe me, I find that it is really unsettling when people whom I cannot tell from Adam greet me on the street with a smile and a “How’re you? Haven’t seen you for a long time?”. How can they considering they probably haven’t seen me at all. Or if they have they

The other day when I had gone to buy milk, a very pleasant stranger smiled at me and asked “How are you?” and probably doubting my knowledge of English gave out the Hindi translation: “Asp kaise hain” I was too dumbfounded to respond. Was it a case of mistaken identity? Or am I, despite my best attempts, becoming famous?

The suspicion was strengthened when a famous news channel anchor who goes for his morning walks in the same park where I go, one fine day waved at me and said “Hi?”. My heart almost stopped. I was too dazed to respond.

It certainly cannot be my blogs. The blog sites (Including IL) to which I contribute don’t have my picture. One of them has a picture of a huge lab and the other a that of a plate of tomato risotto. Whatever the doubts I have about myself I am 100% convinced that I don’t resemble a uber fat canine or a plateful of an Italian rice delicacy from any angle.

Even before I moved from Delhi to Noida I had this sneaking suspicion I was being infected by fame virus. There I was living in a locality where top government officials stay. I found that whenever I went for my morning walk, security guards outside buildings and cops used to salute me. Who the hell were they thinking I was?

My cup of fame misery overflowed when I recently received a wedding invite from a total stranger. Nope, this was not a case of mistaken ide identity. Whether he knew my face or not, he certainly knew my name. It was not just written on the cover of the invitation but embossed in gold letters! I was about to bang my head against the wall but was stopped by DW.

“Who is this guy”? I asked her.

“Search me. Must be some friend of yours” she said shrugging her shoulders.. I swear I have never heard of the guy who sent me the invite. Both the bride’s and groom’s family were total strangers to me.

And the invitation weighed a ton. If I ever meet this guy who sent me the invite I am going to clobber him with it. That should knock some sense into him.

My only consolation is that some wise chap has said fame is fleeting. I certainly hope so and that it is not a lasting affliction.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Let me hasten to assure that if you came in front of me and said you were Balajee, I will most certainly go "From where?" :) Jokes apart, perhaps you are well known and it is not hard for people to put two and two together and find out your identity if they followed you closely enough. Recently I was reading an article on social etiquette when it comes to one's internet friends - it is a thing i believe. While it went on explain various steps, the first one undoubtedly was to introduce oneself and mention where they have met (in the cyber world) and then proceed to talk further. I wish I could dig that up for you, it made a fascinating read.

Now that you are somebody, if we run into one another, please do let me know for I would like to know somebody who is a somebody, especially popular people like that news anchor you mention recognizes you! Enjoy the fame Balajee, don't ponder so much.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Fame.. I am famous where I live.
    Only if you look at the amount of invitations I receive by mail.:rolleye:
    I get invitations from all the major credit card companies to use their credit card. Our bank sends invitations to participate in in some event or the other, just need to send some money.
    Restaurants send invitations to their opening day.
    Now with elections round the corner we even get phone calls inviting us to join their party.
    Our fifteen seconds of fame...every day.

Welcome back after a long break!

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    Enjoy the flame of famousness, and don't forget to attend the wedding party. Mathematically, it has been proved that two and two is twenty two.
    I was coming out from Walmart and the the cute girl at the gate looked at me and said 'looking cute'. Now you can understand what FAME can result into.

kkrish, startinganew and Viswamitra like this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    Fame is something that one earns and does not drop out of the sky.It is therefore something to enjoy as long as it lasts.As you rightly said fame is ephemeral and becomes a part of the indian history in course of time.It is this fact which keeps many people well grounded. I had an essay"on the instability of the world grandeur"in intermediate which talks about the subject.A refreshing change of topic.
    Regards SLN

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

You are an Aum Atme supporter and have written so many articles against our beloved PM who commands so much respect from the world leaders according to Indian Television shows and the Indian newspapers that support BJP. You may be watched by the Research and Analysis Wing only for this reason alone and you are already famous. You may not be seeing those who are following you wherever you go and others must have seen you being followed and that is where the familiarity comes from. For all practical reasons, your new address may be in the diary of a RAW officer and hence he might have sent an invitation to you without realizing who you are. Frankly, your broadband connection might be hacked and RAW could be reading all your articles.

You have to write your next article about how you practice vegetarianism and how you worship cows found near the Temples regularly. Then you may become even more famous among the BJP followers. Please get off from the list of RAW as soon as you could. :banana:

satchitananda, kkrish and Balajee like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, am really proud to know one member of the who's who! :-D Wouldn't be a bad idea to scratch your head when people greet you and ask 'do I know you?" Might solve the mystery. I agree with Viswa! Watch out for the RAW!!! :-D They might be missing you sorely!

Balajee likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

SATCHI, YES RAW might cook me up. fine i can ask a guy who greets m wjetjer i know him but how about total strangers who send me invitations for weddings to bharata natyam arangettrams//

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Just go, attend, enjoy the feast and come back!:-D