1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The exemplary writer.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Mar 7, 2008.

1. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

I first got introduced to Roald Dahl, not when I was a small little girl but rather in my early twenties when I was working in BCBS. A young student of mine gave me this book and said “Ma’am, please read this to us in the class and trust me you will find the entire class very attentive to what you read” I was intrigued. Since the library class was the last period I had the better of the day in which to finish reading this book. As was my habit I sat with my book in the lunch period and started reading it. Soon I could not contain my laughter, I was very soon laughing outright the teachers around me very giving me funny looks I did not care for any of those I was just enthralled with the book. This book made me curious to read all his other works and I found a writer so fascinating, the entire world knew of him and yet I so little.

There are so many websites dedicated to him. There is an official Roald Dahl website too. Some of his works have been converted to motion pictures, one of them being Matilda, I do not know if many are familiar with it. A small girl with an extraordinary ability to read and absorb things and her love to study more and learn more give rise to some hilarious results for people around her. Then there is Charlie and the Chocolate factory another book which became a motion picture. This being about the young Charlie who would like to get into Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, this book described the chocolates in great detail making you long for one and I must say a must read for all children. The one which I first read was The Witches, this being about a small boy who gets into trouble with a coven of witches who have gathered to kill children by selling them poisoned sweets and by giving them chocolates which can turn them into mice. I also read Boy and Going Solo both of which are based on his life.

I have to say they have left an indelible mark on my mind. I was wondering his writing would keep any child absorbed. He could make any child read. His writings are very addictive and I think we need more such writers who could keep the reading habit in the children of today alive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aqua,
    Nice to know about how you ened up reading Roald Dahl.....Charlie and the chocolate factory.....even now, I love to read this book, the factory,the chocolate lake, the nut sorting.....mere thoughts of this make me head to the refrigerator and grab a bar of chocolate that is in there, which I had saved for my DS.
    A nice book to introduce to young readers......:thumbsup