1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Eternal Myth

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Totally fun!!! At the cost of repeating here's a joke - once an Indian editor went to Russia and was curious about what is written in the news papers there. So he asked a person who speaks English to explain and the man said that their new papers are filled with 'truths, half truths and lies' and explained like this further to the puzzled editor. The truth is all in the sport section, half truths in the weather section, and the rest is all lies :)

So while our Mr.weatherman may be right half the time, you are better off carrying a little umbrella or simply getting drenched in the rain :) Enjoy your trip!!

Dear cheeniya sir, sorry to have diverted the thread - now after interacting with oj-da i do realize why ILs miss him here. I look forward to hearing your feedback and take the thread back to the 'eternal myth' that you had started speaking about!

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

Like Srama, I too feel uncomfortable for having turned your space into my chat room. But then, knowing you, I am sure you are not mad at me for my little slips. Btw, why have you stopped writing? How does one write when Cheeniya doesn't?

oj

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji
    One of my greatest grievances in life is that I do not have a real sister. I have only one brother seven years elder to me. As you rightly point out, a brother-sister relationship is very special.

OJ da has already listened to your prayer and complied with it. He has come out with a delightful thread so very typical of him and he has even posted a sequel to it. I do hope this time, it will be a long stint with IL, preferably interminable.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Srama

You have raised a very interesting point. But I do hope that you do not want to make it sound like some kind of a corollary to Berkeley’s theory. What you are saying is a totally different thing. Basically seeing and observing are two different activities. It is possible that you may see something but not observe it. Likewise, you may observe something with unseeing eyes. Very often what we see may not be taken by our brain for a detailed analysis. Seeing is merely a physical act which our eyes perform routinely. But it is entirely our choice whether we want our mind to process the information communicated by the eyes. When we do that, seeing gets upgraded to observing. To give you an example, we ‘see’ thousands of boys and girls moving around in pairs in public places and the mind remains dormant and unprovoked by what we see. But if the girl of a pair is the daughter of a close relative or a friend, our mind wakes up with a jerk and starts processing the visual information. As I am writing this, I googled for the difference between seeing and observing and Google came up with 12.70 million results!

I think that all of us should constantly endeavor to reduce the gap between what we really are and what we show ourselves to be in the cyber world. This calls for a high degree of honesty and integrity. If we can’t let our cyber friends see our true selves, then we must try to look at the flaws in us that inhibit us from showing them in a public forum where we remain anonymous. There I totally agree with you that ‘we need to start being more human in the roles we play in person’

I must assure you that what I have written in my original thread is about people who are aware of their undesirable qualities in real life and camouflage themselves with sweet words and adorable sentiments to capture the hearts of their cyber friends. Believe me, I have come across quite a few of them in my life. After all, we are judged only by the words we speak here because there is very little scope for others to watch our actions in real life. I certainly agree that it is a beautiful world if no one has any axe to grind. Caution is necessary only in chat rooms and friendship sites. They are filled with lethal landmines. IL is totally a different cup of tea. People here are keen to help each other in various fields and the exchanges are invariably healthy. We do come across a parasite now and then but it is weeded off by our vigilant moderators.

Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Things appear when it is being observed. Scientist are struggling with this truth as it is against physics. In Biology of Belief, Dr.Bruce Lipton indicates that Protons appear when observed. How can one thing be in two different places at the same time? Is science disproving itself? We have to begin to accept some of the scientific theories that existed before were not complete. One of the greatest Gurus in India said science is like C and spirituality is like O. The science when it completes the circle, it would converge with spirituality. He described that the science believes that the distance between the beginning to the end of a dot is a full circle while the spirituality believes that it is an instant access. May be that is why learned people said that the distance between the Universal Absolute and ourselves is the distance between us and our Self.

Dr.Lipon also disproves all earlier scientific theories that gene of a person plays an important factor in behavior, health and body composition. Dr.Lipton scientifically proves that gene plays no role in any of those and it is the environment that determines all of the above. He proves that cells live in a city of environment and they interact and behave in a particular fashion which has no bearing with the gene.

Michael Talbot in his book, "The Holographic Universe" indicates that every person's physical appearance is what is being assumed by the mind of each individual as every being is nothing but a hologram. The psychics are able to see the hologram and even some physicians do see the hologram of the people but won't accept it as they would be excommunicated by the physicians community. They have admitted their seeing holographic image of their patience in private conversations. By making some changes to the hologram, even a human body could be cured. In this book, I came to know for the first time that whatever we see in this world is not direct image of the object falling in the screen through our pupil. Actually, before the object gets on the screen, our brain interrupts and presents its past experience and project an image in to our screen. That is why the same object could appear differently for two different people.

After reading all these difficult subjects, I came to the conclusion whether it is direct interaction or internet discussions, I have no idea who I am talking to and how they look like. My humble opinion is either way it is just our perception and not real.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    You have nicely summarised the whole thing in those last three lines of your FB:
    "After reading all these difficult subjects, I came to the conclusion whether it is direct interaction or internet discussions, I have no idea who I am talking to and how they look like. My humble opinion is either way it is just our perception and not real."

According to Berkely, Viswa does not exist until I see him. Then what about all these interactions? Are they mere reflections of my own thought process? This riddle continues to plague us until we physically come across the person we are talking to. It is in this sense that I take Berkeley seriously. The multitude of nameless and faceless individuals to whom I open my heart so readily in the cyber world are at best a figment of my imagination. I do not know who they really are or whether they really exist in the person they are making themselves out to be. I often wonder if the person I am talking to is really conveying his real character through the words that he keeps exchanging with me. If he is otherwise, would I be still talking to him? When I am not so sure, why am I talking to him? Because there is no harm in talking to a non existent person in terms of Berkeley's view point.

Sometimes in life, when everything is going against us and people we know are just looking the other way, it makes a lot of sense to believe Berkeley and imagine that we are in a totally uninhabited island! Putting it the other way, people exist for each other only if there is a mutual concern for each other. Probably this is what Berkeley implies!
    Sri

7. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

The opening paragraph with the venerable Berkeley's hypothesis sort of skidded over my head, as I read the article in an incipient stupor , after a considerably heavy dinner of pesarattu+ korma+onion pacchadi. And that dinner was no mirage that came into existence just because I observed the dinnerplate. The reality of it is still gurgling inside my belly right now.

Are acquaintances of the Virtual world the only unknowable phantoms we interact with ? What about the so-called Real World in Real Time ? Can we honestly claim to "know" the persons we call a friend, a colleague, a parent, a spouse, a sibling ? Our perception of each of them is limited to what they choose to reveal of themselves to us . Often, our concept of a person is only an amalgam of our opinions ( however skewed or prejudiced) about their words and deeds and the general perceptions of the immediate circles that enclose both of us. There is the ever present, but unacknowledged, danger that it could be a faulty concept or , at the most, an incomplete one.

We are all islands , strangers to each other, except when we scrape against one another due to social necessity. In that event , we play out our conditioned / programmed parts to our best advantage (Just the other day, I was reading your article about the "absolute necessity" of etiquette , to keep society civil and well oiled ! )

Virtual world , on the other hand, gives one the chance to be what one IS or wants to be. As I see it, most people who go Virtual are lonely, vulnerable and basically just looking for some affection and acceptance . This matters very much because one draws nourishment from words of appreciation or acceptance, the balm to soothe the innumerable abrasions caused by the harsh real world . The Real World has neither the duty nor the charity to keep one happy and humoured always.

The biggest attraction that the Virtual World offers is the cloak of Anonymity. We are just names ( and avatars) free to be interpreted as any personality. What The Others think of one does not matter so much as other's opinion does in the real world.
    Had I , Priya, met you, Cheeniya Sir, in a bakery or a staff-room, I doubt if I could have worked up the gumption to start jabbering like a crazed parrot , right after saying hullo. But I could do it here ! Because, to me you are just a fecund mind with a sprightly pen/keyboard. And it does not matter a whit to me whether , in real life, you are a superannuated bihari policeman or an anglo-indian seamstress. What matters to me is that I can share the thoughts in my mind with another mind that shows interest in reading what i tap out. Anonymity helps me to be myself, without my having to resort to socially approved masks.

I have been around a few sites and always been myself . There was only one instance where I had an unpleasant experience. Some years ago, in one of the popular gaming and networking sites, I "friended" a person named " Uma " and we had many interesting discussions via the "Chat box" Then it was slowly revealed that Uma was not a lady but a man named Umashankar . I found my misconception funny, but carried on. Then he started saying he was unhappy with his cold natured wife, how happy his chats with me make him feel etc etc. I quickly unfriended him, but he started flooding my inbox with weird messages. My ( then-)husband suggested I should "reveal" to him the "truth" that I was really a middle aged widower with 3 sons and that would derail him ! I merely quit the scene. It is funny in retrospect, but it was quite scary at that time. Now when I think of it, I feel its not something that could not have happened in real world too. How often we read news of conmen victimising women ! Real or Virtual, people can be inscrutable .

Berkeley's world may have been a figment of his imagination. But at least he was there to imagine it. He probably never heard of Sri Ramana's famous question : 'Who am I ?" Whose imagination was he ? or you ? or I ? Its mindboggling and leaves me humming "Baba" Rajnikanth's song : " Maya-Maya ! Ellaam Maya !"

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    What an awesome analysis of ‘Real world in Real Time’!

We are all mentally and socially conditioned to live a life not of our choice but of others’ choice. In the pretext of teaching our children good manners, we slowly populate their minds with our thoughts and our perception of right and wrong. This naturally results in their developing a split personality, one reserved for making their elders gratified with their efforts and the other to live a life of their own inner craving. Sometimes this goes to such extremes as Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde but in most cases, the inner craving lies dormant till they get access to the cyber world. As politics is the last resort of all scoundrels, cyber world is the last refuge of all split personalities, minor and major!

You have raised a very valid question about the people in ‘Real World in Real Time’. My honest answer to your question is that I know nothing other than what they choose to reveal to me. In my younger days, I was always intrigued by the exhortation of Socrates “Know thyself”. I used to wonder why would anyone keep repeating this to each and every one and get poisoned in the bargain. As I grew older, I slowly realised what a big challenge it is to know oneself. It was then I came across the Johari Window Concept of self-analysis. During my faculty days in SBI, I had applied this test to many young officers and was amazed to find that the largest area of personality was something about which they had no clue at all nor others knew about it. The open portion that was known to the self as well as others which was technically called ‘the arena’ was very limited. I understood the import of ‘Know thyself’

According to this concept, when our awareness of our own selves is limited, how can we claim to have knowledge of our real life acquaintances? I do entirely agree with you that our concept of a person is only an amalgam of our own opinions about his words and deeds but that is the ground on which we are expected to raise all our edifices of relationship with others. If the ground is strong, the edifice will be enduring. Otherwise it will collapse. And do we have any viable alternative to make it more fool proof and realistic? I am afraid the answer to this can be only in the negative.

On the contrary, the virtual world is a ‘make believe’ world. Here we are free to choose our roles. We can act our roles to perfection and win accolades. This is a safe place to be in as long as we are able to maintain our anonymity. When like minds interact here, it results in a great boost to our self esteem. Pitfalls if any in this world will be our own making.
    Sri

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

First paragraph is Greek and Latin to me.

Anonymity gives a lot of courage to say things which we otherwise would not say....contradicting, disagreeing. Direct in person we are more tongue tied. I recently met a cyber friend in person...we used to argue vehemently, agree, disagree on a lot of topics. But when met in person...conversation was limited to small talk and basic courtesies.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear shyamala
    While travelling by a train through villages in the wee hours of morning, we can observe a multitude of men and women answering the call of nature either turning their backs to the train or covering their faces. That's the freedom anonymity gives us!

What you say about personal contacts with cyber friends is very true. We don't get tongue-tied but the tongue ties itself into a knot in such situations. When this happened to me for the first time years ago, we kept repeating to each other 'So' and 'What then'!
    Sri