1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Eternal Myth

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 20, 2007.

1. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

As u have rightly named its only a myth :)) well not only a myth a mirage also.
    its over a decade now using internet and roaming around aimlessly in virtual cyber world i have reached il , initial days when we had chatrooms of rediff,sify,yahoo and msn we had this mask men and women many with many ids starting was fun and then it became an addiction later aversion
    now i dont chat much in my yahoo id also this tells how much mature i have become :))
    yes we find all potraying themselves in v nice way with pleasant manners and if we really peep into their lives we find them v different .
    i need to thank il bcz after i found indusladies i have stopped even logging into my chat id i am happy here with my own name and identity than some mask around me afraid to disclose my details isnt there any more .

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,

One of the best posts I have ever read. Not just the post and its philosophy and bhashyams, but also the references to extra reading that I get from your works. Thank you.

Back to this post, had to read it twice to appreciate it fully. It is so sure that the cyber world is a Maya samrajya populated by perfect people and minds. We are all golden Mareechas here. I too have made a couple of friends thru the cyber world. But I resolved in my mind right at the start that I would not meet any of them face to face, since the charm will evaporate. Am now enjoying a holiday in India, enjoyed the Chithirai Thiruvizha in Madurai, peacfeul ten days in Chennai. Was tempted to call and meet fellow ILites.But something kept me back- the 'charm will be harmed' fear, fear that I might be disturbing them-- so met none, though the loss is mine.

I hope someone will nominate your post for Finest Posts.

Dear Lavanya,

I enjoyed your reply to Cheeniya, all your posts rock.

regards
    Vidya

3. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    A very good post apt in the present day of cyber.It is the anonymity thats attracting people and makes them pour their heartout to totally unknown faces. As for myself I do not mind being anonymous and I am a little nervous of meeting any cyberfriend in person.In fact it increases my happiness if people start wondering who this person is!Hozzaat for a change?
    Regards,
    Meenu

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra
    You have indeed summed it up very nicely.
    In most of us, there is a variance between what we are and what we want to be and in some cases, this variation can be so large that it can even lead to a mental imbalance as in the case of a split personality. Our cyber friends really help us to minimise this variance and remain stable!
    The variance itself is due to the fact, as you have pointed out, that we are not allowed to be our real selves by the complex characters who we have to deal with in our real life. A good person is not allowed to be good by circumstances beyond his control. We have seen it many a time. 'He is basically a good chap and it is surprising why he behaves with his wife like this' is something we hear very often.
    In the cyber world, we all try to be what we want to be and it is nice to interact with people who exhibit kindred emotions.
    May the cyberworld friends help us to be at peace with ourselves and remain sane!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Radha
    I fully agree with you that our experience with IL is refreshingly different. There is mutual respect here and no one is over anxious to impress others. The minor aberrations in interactions at times even point out that there is no 'masking' in IL and that indeed gives us a feeling of comfort.
    I am happy that you grew out of chatting! it is a dangerous addiction and I have seen this addiction ruining relationships! I have noticed that chat addicts displaying very nearly the same symptoms as a drug addict when deprived of his drug!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Maya Samrajyam and Golden Mareechas are so apt and who else can think of such a comparison to describe the core character of a cyber friend but you?
    As long as we stay at a distance and watch the beauty of the Golden Deer, no harm will come to us but only when we decide to go after it for any reason that we really come to grief as the Lord Himself has shown.
    To this extent, I understand your apprehension in facing the 'real' person behind your cyber buddies. A sensible decision, I would say. Dont say that the loss is yours. If you had met any of them and discovered that they were not half as good as you imagined them to be, the loss would have been greater.
    Let me assure you that the cheeniya you see here is the sweetest!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    The aspect of anonymity is what makes our cyber friends so fascinating and it is like attending a masquerade! Why would anyone want to spoil the fantasy by starting to rationalise it?
    Having said all this and more earlier, I am not suggesting that every cyber friend is a fiend in disguise! There may be really good people here and a meeting might even enhance our mutual affection but is the risk worth taking?
    Where is the need for cyber friends to meet each other physically as long as our emotional needs are amply met by the unknown friends?
    Sri

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Sri, sorry for using your thread to reply to Vidya.

Vidya, thank you for liking who I am. :) What you see is what you get with me. Have no fear to meet/talk to me outside the cyber world, as I have no cloak to hide behind.

L.

1 person likes this.
  9. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

In continuation and with reference to your reply I would like to add that since there is no emotional accountability in the cyber world, we do project ourselves the way we would have others look at us. It is also pertinent to add here that most people agree with perceptions of an ideal person and exhibit this persona in the virtual world and therefore our interaction is also pleasant. As you have rightly quoted, cyberworld friends help us to be at peace with ourselves and remain sane !!!!!!!!

10. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    The doors of my threads are always open for all of you to interact with each other! My aim of being here is to forge a strong feeling of camaraderie among the ILites and if I can achieve it through my sub forum, nothing could make me happier!:)
    Sri