1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Enigma Of Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 14, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Reminds me of a Charlie Chaplin Movie -The Kid- abandoned infant by his mother on a street corner near garbage bins with a slip -please take care of this orphan. Charlie happens to passby, returns to the crying child, tries to dump but fails and finally adopts him.
    Some five years later his mother, now a rich lady, finds him and all is well.
    What if the child as a young man is told about this? Will he forgive her?
    Life is too complex.

2. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Forgiveness is for our peace not for others, I totally agree blood is thicker than water, I can share my own life lesson here, forgiveness is taught by nature, yes you read it right .Nature taught me to forgive, during my first pregnancy, my inlaws had many issues and I was under tremendous stress, things are also not right between parents and inlaws, parents kept most of things out of my reach becoz of my advanced pregnancy, inlaws used to pick fights, I don't blame any one here and I blame myself or my harmones at that time and age I went to labor premature baby and we lost him. That was worst thing happened to me and I can never forget that day becoz of my stress levels. Doctors found no reason , it was all natural, every thing was fine, randomly went to labor early,when I retrospect I always found stress as reason and some where in heart I used to think that inlaws could have waited to fight till I delivered the baby. but life has to move on later I had delivered a baby and then 5 yrs later when I was in labor for my second delivery my midwife said 5 yrs back I attended you Same day she saw the records, yes you all read it right, Inhad delivered another baby on same day And time 5 yrs later, one day we were crying on that date another day we were in joy, In all these yrs some where in my mind had resentment on my inlaws but nature had taught me lesson, forgive forget move on, now I am more pesceful

satchitananda and stayblessed like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

To forgive you have to be in a position of strength, you have to be too strong to be broken. When you forgive people from that position, you will feel a sense of power, domination, coursing through you. Also the act of forgiveness must be accompanied by a clear cut message that the forgiveness should not be taken as weakness and the forgiven must know that you are in a position of unassailable strength

satchitananda and stayblessed like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very true.

5. satchitananda

Hugs to you cutepoojitha! Can only imagine the pain of losing a promised bundle of joy. It is really amazing the end of your narration. Can only think that it was the baby who you lost who was determined to have only you as his parents and came back to you. I am really happy that you have succeeded in finding your peace.

6. satchitananda

I agree with that. But unfortunately, that is not always the case, in fact, I should say rarely the case. Maybe if one were in a position of strength, one might even be able to forgive much easier, because what the other party does can be ignored, or one can set the situation right for oneself, or one can get one's own back easily. The difficulty is when we are in a vulnerable position and can do none of the above. Also trying to get one's own back often brings us down to such levels that we start hating ourselves, for that is not who we are nor who we were brought up to be.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is an interesting discussion on forgiveness.Shri Viswa,the master of psychology has elaborately dealt with the bliss of forgiveness and categorically stated that forgiveness brings more good and peace of mind to the victim and he attains peace of mind to concentrate on other important things in life rather than brooding about the harm done to him.
    As per karma theory,we can accept and forgive.It is ok for small misdeeds like passing hurtful remarks or petty thefts. But can we apply the same rule to greater crimes like rape,murder etc.Then what will happen to judicial system? What will happen to rule of the land which does not depend on individual fear or hesitation to be involved either out of fear or to have some peace of mind? Is it in the interest of the society ? How can we prevent criminals from adhering to frequent crimes if we go on forgiving them ?many people do not lodge complaint because they are afraid of enquiry.They let things go. Criminals who start with simple crimes will land into multilayered crimes if forgiven at the initial level.The victim's psychological satisfaction or saving the community from larger crimes?We have to decide which is more important.
    To forgive, you need only controlling your anger and forgetting tit for tat. But to deal with crimes,investigation etc need courage,conviction and the communal interest in mind.If the Govt also has no set of rules and goes on conducting psychology classes on control of mind,theory of forgiveness and the solace the victim receives etc,ultimately the society will be full of terrorists indulging in more heinous crimes expecting forgiveness at all levels leading to chaos and confusions.
    I therefore feel that forgiveness etc should be limited to minor crimes like insulting,minor mishandling etc .The bigger crimes have to be dealt with in accordance with law how much ever tension it creates in the mind of the victim.Individual peace of mind is nothing compared to major harm done to any one in the society.Though it is a fact that punishment cannot bring down crimes, forgiveness also cannot help reducing the crime rate.
    Jayasala42

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Being haunted by things is part of the price we pay for remembering things all too well. Just goes with the territory of being able to conjugate irregular verbs in 3 languages. If you cannot forget, because your synaptics are fused with a pretty strong soldering agent, there are some dual-use avenues for such memories. Ignore and move on, or plot revenge. Either way, the only question should be: Are we having fun?

satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Of course we are mostly talking of forgiveness on a micro level here. But even in criminal cases, the question is one of forgiveness on the part of the victim/victim's family so as to be able to leave the episode behind and move on. That does not imply that criminals are not subjected to the criminal justice that is the law of the land.

10. satchitananda

True, memory is a strange thing which seems to remember all too well that which it shouldn't while tending to forget essential things like where one placed one's glasses, money, purse, book etc. It is the ignoring and moving on that we struggle with. Plotting revenge is the job of professionals. Small timers like me can only wait for the right opportunity to give it back in the same or equivalent coin, but no, I can't term it as any kind of 'fun' 'coz like I said in an earlier post, it is not what we are or brought up to be. All we end up doing is despising ourselves not only for having been victim to such people but for going down to their level.