1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The end of the world in retrospect

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 22, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    A hilarious snippet. In our flat all were resigned and none bothered about the end of the world.
    There are many who are very much frustrated about the happenings around the world and they would have felt happy if the world ended as predicted by Mayans.
    It is better all to leave this world together than seeing some living and some dying.
    We have to see a lot more good and bad happenings before the world ends.
    PS

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear RGS
    About this world coming to an end scare, I had a few worries myself and they are not about perishing with all. But I certainly worried about missing IL and its wonderful members, your poetic responses to any kind of thread, the love that I enjoy in this beautiful community and above all my partnership with Kamla in the FP forum. Thankfully the world did not end much to the chagrin of many but to most of us, the scare gave an opportunity to evaluate the quality of life we have so far led. Many have vowed to take corrective action too if they had any aberration in their character and attitude. Hope it will not have the same fate as New Year Resolutions for this world coming to end end scare is not an annual feature as New Year!
    'Turning to a new leaf, you have concluded. That leaf is hopefully the one on which Lord Krishna came floating to save humanity!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Cheeniya Sir, just a different take on this:

It may sound a bit odd
    Or even cruel to a few.
    I don't find it so hard
    If I only have a few

Days left for me to live.
    Will be happier to go,
    Before my dear ones leave.
    For I can't see them go.

People may call me selfish
    Or even so weak in heart.
    Already seen a few, I wish
    To go to the yonder part.

On this auspicious day
    I lost someone so dear
    Years back, yet it stays
    In me and heavy to bear.

If only I have the power
    To bring someone back
    At the cost of mine, I'll never
    Think twice or just go back.

I will be prepared to face
    My maker with a smile
    And may even try to race
    With time to write a rhyme.

6 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    Thank you for your nice FB. I agree with you that the entire earth getting wiped out in one stroke is a better option than going one by one. Of course, there would be no 'Breaking news' stuff from TV channels around the world and that will make it a dull affair. For a person who waits for 'Breaking News' even if Manmohan sneezes, it would be a colossal loss!

I always tell people not to gloat over having escaped from this calamity predicted by the Mayans and I remind those who tell us that the world will surely not end during our life time that at the rate at which we keep committing our sins, we are bound to be here in some form or other when the world ends even after a billion years!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  5. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Decipher wrong and blame the writer ! Aren't we pros in such games !

Why blame only Mayans ? ingeye nadantha koothai kelunga ! They showed some weirdo priest/sage doing some homam with dry red chillis to ward off impending doom ( predicted for 21st.Dec.) and later claiming stupendous success for his holy mediation! And the crowds getting into raptures ! Enge poi muttika ! Markandey Katju is 200% correct in his "90% idiots" comment.

And then, there's that joker in Madurai Adeenam who put out some horror stories of a deadly cocktail of earthquakes, volcano eruptions and Tsunamis preparing to despatch earth and humanity to oblivion.......just a day after merrily releasing his institution's glossy calender for 2013, and whats more, naming a successor as well! Ayyoooo ayyo !

The producers of the Movie "2012", who thought up this novel promotional blitz are having the last laugh !

People who get taken in by such scaremongering are losers and deserve to lose, like your acquaintance who bankrupted himself feeding others ( Thats some enforced punyam earning ! He will go to heaven, god bless him ! )

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    Chilli in fire is an age old remedy to ward off evil eyes. I lived among ten tenements in a colony type house in Triplicane as a young boy. Each family would always be waiting for casting their evil eyes on other families for the flimsiest reasons possible. If my mum cooked onion sambar the smell of which would waft through the colony and this would make all the families who had only 'vathal kuzhambhu' for the day extremely jealous and several pairs of evil eyes would bombard our house like Leonid showers hitting the earth! As a result everyone in my family would end up with a bad stomach with all its hundred manifestations. My mum would pick up a handful of red chillies and throw in the burning oven. If the chillies did not cause any irritation, it would mean a lot of 'dhrishti'. In fact more chillies were used by the families in my colony for burning in the oven than for cooking!

That calender of Madurai Adheenam was probably meant to be some kind of Time Capsule for the posterity to record our history. But I can't understand Katju's generosity in over rating our intelligence. 90% is a very generous view. Probably he had in mind 99% but did not have the guts to mention it openly. Anyway, the world not ending on 21st just means that my ramblings will not stop for the present!
    Sri

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir
    I just happened to peep in your ramblings and found your latest post lurking in there..
    I think I did mentioned sometime earlier in someone else's post about MY INTERPRETATION of the infamous MAYAN Calender... I strongly believe that this person (GOD bless his soul) simply got bored of counting!!!.. now you as an accountant may find it hard to believe.. but I can fully understand this poor man or woman's (lets not be sexist here what say???) plight.. imagine if you had to carve out all those numerical symbols day in and out with a nasty boss who didn't allow any scope for rest (all my imagination!!) wouldn't you land up making a mistake??? and remember there were no erasers invented for stone carvers.. so these small mistakes happen .. and were at times overlooked...and your point on the bad handwriting simply makes my heart winch in pain as this carver's plight when he discovered his mistake..now what these ancient Mayans didn't imagine is that several centuries later someone somewhere would find their calender.. misinterpret it and sell it to Hollywood and make a block buster movie based on it!!!..and suckers like your illustrious neighbour who sat up all night waiting for the DOOM to happen or the gentleman who distributed his wealth to earn brownie points in the next world made it a success beyond what it was meant to be..
    So sir.. I beg to differ with you on your point of the infamous Mayans be branded as bluffers as they were innocently spending their time in the ancient world doing things which they considered a "good and fruitful time pass activity" without realising that this simple act of theirs would be the main plot of a multi- million box office hit and lead to such scare !!!..
    enjoyed your blog... please keep blogging straight into the new year....
    WISHING YOU AND FAMILY ALL THE BEST IN 2013
    Kerman

1 person likes this.
  8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

OK old devil, you are finally out of your lair! Man, why do you torture me so? The first three paragraphs of your retrospection were classy, but no more classy than your own long nurtured class. But then you decided to outclass yourself, which suggests to me that you were quietly planning a vicious attack on people like me who have earned the dubious reputation of being born brainless and failing miserably through their lives to grow more than a micromilligram or two of grey cells.

Bad handwriting indeed! “My foot,” say I. You subjected me to a Spanish inquisition of sorts. Perhaps the Spaniards themselves had faced the same fate when they colonized in South America. You forced me to try innocently at first and then finally with disgust to figure out how the Mayans wrote 21122012 or 21122112!

The very first question that attacked me was how these guys accommodated the zero in their system. I used to think that we Indians had mastered the art. And then looking up the ever reliable google sources, I found out that they did have a zero, but they had a system based on 20, rather than 10. No harm in that of course, the nineteenth century mathematician Cantor did show us endlessly many alternatives to the decimal system. But I was nonetheless troubled.

I figured out after some struggle how they wrote their 10, and given that they had a 20 base system, writing 10 did not require a zero. So far so good. But when I went further, I was caught unwarily in this trap you had set up for me and other idiots like me. I stared at their 20 and simply couldn’t figure out how and why it should have been written the way it was written. In good or bad handwriting I mean.

Till, finally, sense dawned, though, much to your satisfaction I guess, I was resembling “folks with puffed eyes and swollen faces due to sleep deprivation …”. With 20 as the base and zero at their disposal, their twenty had to look like our 10!

“Voila,” I yelled in the middle of the afternoon waking Shankari up from her peaceful siesta. She gave a violent start before she sat up and stared at me with eyes resembling molten lava! “Why did you wake me up?” she demanded. “Didn’t I feed you more than you deserve for lunch?”

“I didn’t wake you up,” I mumbled, somewhat embarrassed I admit. “Actually, I was trying to speak to Cheeniya. He lives in Chennai, so I had to raise my voice a few decibels higher than my usual mellifluous sing song.”

“Oh my God! You are still upto your Cheeniya tricks are you? But no, I won’t tolerate this nonsense anymore. What were you exchanging with him? Admit it, before I file an fir with the police. Against both of you.” She said this with an air of finality.

I was back now to my infinitely humble, timid state. So, before she could call up the police, I interjected in my softest of baritones. “I was trying to tell him that the Mayans’ 100 resembled our 50. And that means, that their 2000 ought to have looked like our 1000 and 12 like our 6. So, it is my considered guess that when they spoke of the year 2012, they wrote it as though it was the year 1006.”

“Wh.. what rubbish is this? What Mayans? 2000? Have you gone absolutely crazy? You need to be sent to an asylum, not the police, and Cheeniya be made to pay the bill for your treatment. This is worse than the your Bluetooth delirium.”

She was glaring and eying simultaneously for the nearest weapon available to attack me, unarmed though I was. Having failed to arm herself, she finally expressed her agony with a two syllable command. “Get out!”

“What?” I asked somewhat puzzled.

“Get out of my bedroom before I kill you.” That was scary you know.

So, I tried to plead. “You see, I think I know now how they wrote their year, but I have to yet figure out how the months and days were written …” My voice trailed off, for she had discovered my mobile phone and was holding it in a manner that didn’t suggest that she was offering that I call Cheeniya up over the phone. It looked more like she was aiming to throw it at my skull. Which, as I have already told you, does not contain more than a couple of micromilligrams of grey matter.

To save my rudimentary share of brain cells, I had no choice other than obeying her order. So, I am sitting here in the wilderness now, still wondering how they wrote their months, leave alone days.

“He wants to be alone even in his death.” I seem to recall having read this sentence not too long ago, written by a chap who claimed to be immersed in a “smug reverie”.

I wonder where.

4 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Kerman
    Talking of numbers, I must first tell you about myself first. I am not a professional accountant but I do have a great taste for figures (not human figures but mathematical ones). I studied a totally irrelevant subject for my post graduation but ended up in a Bank on a fateful day in July 1965. There were no computers then, not even adding machines and all the transactions were handled manually. During my early days there, I was part of a team called performance appraisal wing. Some 200 branches would send their performance figures under various categories and a handful of us would collate them manually and submit the summary to the top management with our comments. This job involved endless totaling up of numbers and we became so obsessed with it so much that even when we saw a calender on the wall, we would mentally start adding the numbers!

I am telling you all this just to convey my agreement with your view that the Mayanic accountant got bored of counting. And I agree with you a lot more when you say what is carved cannot be erased. Erasable figures came into being much later in history. So this particular M finding that he had committed a blunder in numbers might have decided to keep mum hoping that no one would have enough grey cells to find out the mistake. We should not look at this episode in the light of the 'delete' facility we have in our PC and rudely comment 'What's the big deal about changing the number?'

Thank you for your good wishes for the New Year and I heartily reciprocate the same.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear OJ

I am beholden to you for this 837-word of delightful dissection of my rather insipid thread. You hopped, skipped and jumped from the Spanish Inquisition, Cantor and his mindboggling alternatives to the decimal system to the 20-base number system of the Mayans. That ‘0’ lurking among the 1’s and 2’s kindled my curiosity and I came out with some childish prank on the possibility of a Mayanic blunder but little did I expect that a scholarly exposition would follow my rambling.

I am now subdued and confined into a remorseful corner with my monumental ignorance of the 20-base number system of the Mayans and the revelation of the difference between the 0 in a 20-base number system and a 10-base one. What was even more amazing was the fact that the number 10 would not have a 0 in a 20-base number system like, for example, 8 in a 10-base number system. Further only when they came up to 20 in their system, they expressed it like our 10. I hope I am with you till this point.

Just as my avid grey cells were lapping up all these new theories came the disturbing realization that I was causing a mini tsunami in one of the most peaceful families of Kolkatta. I have heard that every action has a reaction but I least expected that the epicenter of the reaction would be a couple of thousand kilometers away. I also know that this is not an unusual phenomenon in celestial circles as I have come to know of it from a famous Tamil song that goes on to say that if the Lord smiled in the coastal town of Tiruchendur, its echo could be heard in the distance hills of Tiruttani or is it the other way around? It is like the Ashani sanket gladdening the hearts of the poetic Bengalis.

I have heard that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned but now it looks as though I must add a woman woken up from her siesta too to the list of items that put hell’s fury to shame!
    What’s worse is that I get included in the FIR for some innocent remark that I made against the Mayans. And that threat about my having to foot the bill for the treatment of a genius that she looked upon as stark mad is the unkindest cut of all. And before my eyes opened the scene of Copernicus who ‘moved the earth and stopped the Sun’ being branded raving mad by the Church!

All I can say in utter humility is that I feel honoured by this FB of yours OJ!
    Sri

2 people like this.