1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The end of the world in retrospect

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The end of the World
    ( Written by me on 22.12.2012)

I am in a smug reverie. This smugness is not a deliberately put on one. It is absolutely genuine arising out of not having to witness earth splitting into half spilling out its core contents of iron and nickel alloy at a temperature of 5400°C and scalding everyone in the vicinity. I have been crying hoarse that Mayans are slippery guys who can always find a way out of their bluffs with further bluffs. In the case of Mayans, it is ‘bluff begetting bluffs’. But what makes them interesting is their innovative approach in bluffing. I’ll come to that later. Further this time around, Mayans’ credibility got further enhanced by people around the world who seemed to be eagerly looking forward to the end of the world. Whenever I came out with any statements countering the claims of the Mayans, my friends resisted the temptation to beat me to pulp with great difficulty considering my advanced age! Nevertheless, it did not stop them from branding me as a killjoy and a spoilsport. But the unkindest cut of all was their statement that I was always a loner and hence reluctant to be part of mass destruction. ‘He wants to be alone even in his death’, one of them remarked!

Take this peer of mine next door for example. He prides himself as a man who never fails to be a part of all major events of history during his life time. He had seated himself in his arm chair on the terrace and kept looking at the sky all night for some rogue planet crashing into the earth. He had even borrowed a binocular from a friend who is an amateur ornithologist. Every time he saw some unusual movement in the sky like an intercontinental flight cruising at over 50000 feet, he would yell for his people and declare that he had sighted the rogue planet making its way. It was a pathetic sight to see all his folks with puffed eyes and swollen faces due to sleep deprivation next morning.

There was another guy from one of the smaller towns of Tamilnadu, who wanted to make up for all past misdeeds, encashed prematurely all his fixed deposits and spent it feeding the citizens of the town for two days before the predicted end of the world. I am sure he would have had no money even for his breakfast next day! Had these Mayans not misled him, he would have continued his misdeeds merrily and the world not ending on schedule was perhaps a big shock for him.

Having said all this, I must say I am convinced with the explanations given by the Mayans’ descendants for this faux pas`. When the deadline given by them was crossed without much of a hassle, I looked up all the hundreds of sites on this issue to find out what really went wrong and why an event that the world was eagerly waiting for never really took place. From the various bits and pieces of information that I could piece together on the subject, I understood that the guy who really prepared the Mayan calendar had a horrible handwriting and faced the wrath of his mentors right from his childhood but looking at way Mayans recorded their events and dates, I could not but sympathise with this boy’s woes. I just had a look at it at the trusted Wikipedia and to me the Mayan writing resembled the intestines of someone like Bakasuran whose normal pastime was eating.

What this guy had written was the equivalent of 21122112 but due to the aforesaid bad handwriting of the Mayan guy, the modern interpreters read it as 21122012. If we go by what this Mayan calendar guy had actually written, the end of the world should occur on 21.12.2112 and not 21.12.2012. A direct descendant of the calendar guy expressed surprise about a zero coming into this series and expressed greater surprise about why it had not occurred to anyone that zero in this series was totally incongruous. He stood by this prediction but pointed out that we would have to wait another hundred years for this grand event.

We discussed this during our walk this morning and my peer next door was livid. He called the calendar guy such names which were truly slum class. He pointed out how one fellow’s bad handwriting changed the ‘head writing’ of the whole world!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    15 people like this.

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Hahahahahahahaha... Enjoyed reading it... Neighbour calling all his family for sighting.... Gr8...:rotfl:rotfl

I like the small town guy... feeding all the poor... Super..:thumbsup

I told my friends here... Not to go to the Beach... Suppose, a tsunami comes... and they will be the first to go... You see, we normal human beings, we want to be the first when something good comes... When it is Bad things inevitable... we dont want to be the first... will try to be in the last....

My friend very sincerely asked me... How it will happen thoughout the world at one go or what.... I told him it starts from the midnight of 21st... so it will start from Japan and then India, muscat and end with USA... See, it will take the time difference into consideration... travel time... hahahahahahaha... He doesnt know what to say....

You see, I am one of those people like the europeans who was wishing... that this really happens... You see, my DD is in 12th... she need not worry about the exams.... I have taken a huge housing loan... I need not struggle working to repay this....:spin:spin:hide:...

Like the scene in the Vennila Kabadi kuzhu movie.... start from the clean slate.... fresh....

I was praying... against all odds... I also thought, I should not suffer or feel the world vamoosing.... So slept early yesterday... You see... when you kick off in the sleep... you will not feel anything... hahahahahahahahaha:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl...

But.... what is this... I got up in the morning... the water has not entered the land... the mountains has not come down... Nothing happened... I just have to take my bath and go to the office like any other day.... This is absolutely not fair... I was feeling hungry and has to order food.... Worst part... I have to pay...

This is not fair.... MAYANS.... or whatever... this is not fair, to cheat or postpone like this...

Why....??????

Veda

6 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Vedaaaaaaaa!
    I thought you had taken a 'head bath' as far as I was concerned! Now what a pleasant surprise it is to see you back and I had to wait almost for the world to come to an end to meet you again!

You have made a profound statement there saying 'we want to be the first when something good comes... When it is Bad things inevitable... we dont want to be the first.' Very true but at the same time I do not know if individual concerns will be there when the entire human race faces instant extinction. I am conditioned to think in these lines thanks to many American movies that I have seen in this genre.

Your DD not having to face the exam or your repayment programme getting nullified will be the kind of benefits that will accrue to every family I guess. That could be one reason why the world was looking forward to this event! By sleeping early to avoid witnessing the end of the world, you have imitated the cat that closes its eyes and thinks it is nightfall! I see that as far as you are concerned, the end of the world would involve water rushing into our homes or St.Thomas Mount becoming St.Thomas pit! It is a pity that you could not escape your bath due to this prophecy not coming true!

Thanks a lot for your lively first FB!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

Glad to see your above post and enjoyed reading it. How everyone was waiting to see what is going to happen and I think those who wanted the world to come to an end must have got disappointed. I was sure nothing is going to happen. But in my dream I saw water coming to our house but before anything could happen it stopped and nothing bad happened. Thanks for the lovely post

2 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

With a binocular from a friend who is an ornithologist, looking for a planet in the night, I am sure a bird sighting in the darkness is enough to cause an excitement to the gentleman! Cut him slack sir, cut him some! But I tell you what, I could spend my night easily looking at wonder at this gentleman!

Cheeniya sir I do have the pleasure of having a Mayan calender at home - I have gone up several times and looked at the calender in wonder and amazement. Yes, bought by us on our visit to their ruins in Chichen Itza not so long ago. I had not paid much attention to it when I bought it and with the dooms day talk, it was fascinating to watch DS decipher what's on the calender as I wondered often as to what prompted me to buy something like that! Oh well! Now anyways DS will be happy to learn that there was a mistake all because of bad handwriting and I can already see a talk about why he prefers typing on the computer! But sir, it does make me wonder if the actual date was lost in translation? I have not done much reading on this, but I wonder what the older Mayans who are alive and well think of this? Well, we don't have to worry about that anymore now, do we?

But sir, very unfair pushing it by just 100 years! Agreed you and I will continue to see the lovely world but what about the future generations? Going by what you have written, I am almost assured and should not worry for the Mayans always find a way out of their bluffs with further bluffs I guess. So here's to future generations who can dare dream of travel to the moon and space for a holiday and to future Mayans who can continue to figure their way out.

4 people like this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Dear cheeniya sir,

I am pretty sure that this Mayan descendent looked very similar to vadivelu when he says, "eppadi ellaam samaalika vendi irrukuthu" :biggrin2: (to what length one has to go to save face)

This snippet is a good comedy piece :thumbsup

Enjoyed it. :)

4 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

So you write only when there is a big turmoil in the world. Last time it was Mars, the next one is when world is about to end..at least that was the prediction.

So, it is all due to bad handwriting of Mayan. Doctors are notorious for their bad handwriting and bankers have always an eye on numbers. I was seeing on line joke a few days back. Doctors were on strike with banners in their hands about the demands in an illegible manner which no one can understand. So, this is a combination due to bad handwriting and numbers jumbled!!! You are a banker...so took that point!

Hilarious one! Thank you very much.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Aha! Sir Sri Sherlock Holmes
    So that was the root cause of all these confusions - poor handwriting!

See that's why we children should have listened to our moms when they insisted on writing neatly and legibly :)

An entire humanity misled into believing, some in dread, some in hope. Well the one who benefited the most must be the Hollywood movie maker...feeding (off) the imagination of the already worried mind.

My heart goes out to the gentleman with the binoculars seeing Niburu in every thing flying in the dark and to the benevolent misdeeder too.

Well it is amazing to know this was all about numbers on the very day we observe the birthday of a man known for his numbers - Dr. Ramanujam.

Enjoyed your humor very much sir - yet another piece from you that exudes class!

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    So for you also like Veda, end of the world means water coming into your house, the only difference being you had a dream of it and he did not have any such dream. You must be as blessed as Noah for even in your dream, the water did not cause any destruction. Remember the Covenant that God entered with Noah that water shall no more become a flood and destroy all flesh? I saw the spirit of the Covenant expressed in your signature too.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    First things first. You know my peer next door did not have a wink of sleep on the not-so-fateful night being busy scanning the sky for any suspicious movement, I lost my sleep watching him in action throughout the night. We slept off a compensatory sleep from dawn to dusk on the following day and it was here a thought struck me. Why was my neighbour so certain that the rogue planet would strike the earth only at night and kept a watchful eye on the sky? Even in Veda's reply, he has stated that he went to sleep early not wanting to witness the elements melting in fervent heat and the whole earth getting dissolved. All this opens a new line of thought. Man fears calamities only at night and not during the day. Sun's reassuring brightness probably fills him with a confidence to take any calamity by its horns! Take my neighbour for example. If the rogue planet made its way to the earth in broad day light, he would have been unable to witness it until it came to touching distance!

Coming to this Mayan thingy, please do see it in Wikipedia and you would understand why I called it the intestines of Bakasura. Whatever the original Mayan intended to convey about the end of the world, this goof up has completely eroded their credibility. If we get back to our Vedic calculation, the end of the world is a long, long way off. I can give you the precise number of years this earth will last but unfortunately I do not have enough numbers on my key board!
    Sri

2 people like this.