1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Elephants Of Jaipur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Elephants of Jaipur

You will never see an elephant on the streets of Mumbai, just in the zoo. Jaipur these chaps are a common sight on the roads. And they create their own brand of mischief.For others they may be a nuisance,for me they are a source of amusement.Gentle giants they are.

At Amber Fort, the are used to take tourists up and down the steep Hill.Previously they would carry 4 people on their back, now two,and rates 4 times now.i used to take my guests there,for this is a treat for them.You are made to sit on them, and an iron rod closes .The elephant gets a perverse delight to walk on the edge,and as it sways, u are over the wall and looking right in the valley down,and wondering what if the rod opens up !

After some elephants came in heat, and created havoc, the authorities decided to employ the female elephants, who are more sensible it seems and less tempermental.Their names are all on filmi actresses, like Kajol,Karishma,Aishwarya etc. So the males rest, while the wives work.HAHA. They have made a village for them,called Haathi Goan, with ponds etc, where the elephants are bathed and massaged, even the males!

During the early eighties,when the Maruti 800 had just come in, and every top guy had one, there became a problem. These Marutis used to have a antennae , long enough, and u could hear the radio.Now as people went to Delhi in their new found cars, where u did not have to stop to fill water, as they left jaipur, they encountered the elephants. At the signal, both man and animal stopped. Elephants love swishing their tails, and as they saw the antennae they smiled.One swish, and the thing broke.Arguments broke out, the mahout pleaded helplessness, the cops, they were at their wits end.

One carwas just behind the elephant, when the big fellow wanted to do potty .And thap thap thap out it came , on the bonnet with such force the car got damaged. Pic came in the papers, and I was laughing, but imagine the car owners plight.

Now the elephants are also used in weddings. Even in the centre of Jaipur.the Richie rich hire them,they are dressed well, and with the band baja and the elephants all together, traffic gets screwed.No amount of honking has any effect on these fellows.They just trudge on slowly.

But this has to take the cake.WE have some Sadhus coming with an elephant begging bunglow to bunglow.i first offered them 10/- and they were shocked.they said we are not beggars, we are sadhus,please just feed the elephant ! I said what does this fellow want, they said 200 kg sugarcane, 50 kilos this, and 80 kilos that.Wow.

Well I just handed out 50 bucks, and brought a few potatoes, which he took from my hand,and in his mouth.took out a few pics with him, his trunk on my head, like he was blessing me.HAHA

See I am the king of jaipur, can any of u boast of an elephant coming to yr door gates ?

HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI
    JAIPUR

2. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

3. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

A nice piece on Elephants in Jaipur!!
    Imagine these pachyderms on the streets of Amchi Mumbai ...phew ! There will be panic and pandemonium !! All Hell will break loose. May be they should have elephants during Ganesh Chathurthi processions ! Imagination boggles !!
    Never knew that cars get damaged with the force of elephant's poo:dizzy:Poor mahout.
    And you gave aaloo to the elephants..that was nice.
    Did Lord Ganesha visit you that night ?

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Lovely reading about the elephants, Kamalji. You seem to live am enchanted existence! Who else can talk of a horde of peacocks in their gardens, peacock eggs on their window ledges and elephants who seek one out to bless them!!!

Jeeves likes this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Kamalji, the king of Jaipur,
    An informative as well as a witty post on elephants of Rajasthan. Wish to see your posts frequently and enjoy them!
    Take care,
    PS

Kamalji likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

So the haathi wasn't the Marutis' saathi. Too bad. The elephants actually consecrated the marutis' with their dsung. After all if cowdung is holy, elephant dung must be holier.

so the haathi wasn't Marutis'

Kamalji likes this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Kamalji
    I am a Ganesh bhakt so I love elephants. I think they are cute, gentle giants. Yeah! I can perfectly imagine the other side that you have mentioned. It's massive bodily yields can really ruin a feeble Maruti! Haha.

Once I was watching an elephant on the street with my little son, we were in for a rude shock when he sneezed on us!!!!

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

9730"]The Elephants of Jaipur

You will never see an elephant on the streets of Mumbai, just in the zoo. Jaipur these chaps are a common sight on the roads. And they create their own brand of mischief.For others they may be a nuisance,for me they are a source of amusement.Gentle giants they are.

At Amber Fort, the are used to take tourists up and down the steep Hill.Previously they would carry 4 people on their back, now two,and rates 4 times now.i used to take my guests there,for this is a treat for them.You are made to sit on them, and an iron rod closes .The elephant gets a perverse delight to walk on the edge,and as it sways, u are over the wall and looking right in the valley down,and wondering what if the rod opens up !

After some elephants came in heat, and created havoc, the authorities decided to employ the female elephants, who are more sensible it seems and less tempermental.Their names are all on filmi actresses, like Kajol,Karishma,Aishwarya etc. So the males rest, while the wives work.HAHA. They have made a village for them,called Haathi Goan, with ponds etc, where the elephants are bathed and massaged, even the males!

During the early eighties,when the Maruti 800 had just come in, and every top guy had one, there became a problem. These Marutis used to have a antennae , long enough, and u could hear the radio.Now as people went to Delhi in their new found cars, where u did not have to stop to fill water, as they left jaipur, they encountered the elephants. At the signal, both man and animal stopped. Elephants love swishing their tails, and as they saw the antennae they smiled.One swish, and the thing broke.Arguments broke out, the mahout pleaded helplessness, the cops, they were at their wits end.

One carwas just behind the elephant, when the big fellow wanted to do potty .And thap thap thap out it came , on the bonnet with such force the car got damaged. Pic came in the papers, and I was laughing, but imagine the car owners plight.

Now the elephants are also used in weddings. Even in the centre of Jaipur.the Richie rich hire them,they are dressed well, and with the band baja and the elephants all together, traffic gets screwed.No amount of honking has any effect on these fellows.They just trudge on slowly.

But this has to take the cake.WE have some Sadhus coming with an elephant begging bunglow to bunglow.i first offered them 10/- and they were shocked.they said we are not beggars, we are sadhus,please just feed the elephant ! I said what does this fellow want, they said 200 kg sugarcane, 50 kilos this, and 80 kilos that.Wow.

Well I just handed out 50 bucks, and brought a few potatoes, which he took from my hand,and in his mouth.took out a few pics with him, his trunk on my head, like he was blessing me.HAHA

See I am the king of jaipur, can any of u boast of an elephant coming to yr door gates ?

HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI
    JAIPUR[/QUOTE]
    D

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    What a place you are living! I envy you. We never see an elephant except in zoo!
    Surrounded by peacocks, monkeys, birds, elephants....a documentary can be taken for National Geographic!
    Elephants' food reminds me of the film "Hathi mere Sathi" by Rajesh Khanna. Wherever he goes in search of job he takes the four elephants with him saying they would live with him!!!!
    Syamala