1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Disturbing Story of Aruna Shanbaug

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

The first time I had read about her was in the Pinki Virani’s book, Aruna’s Story (published by Penguin Books), a book which moved me to tears.

Aruna, a nurse in KEM Hospital in Mumbai, was raped and sodomised at the age of 25 yrs, way back in 1973. The perpetrator of the crime had used a dog’s collar on her throat, that had left her paralysed, blind, deaf and in a semi-comatose state for all this time, living a solitary and forgotten existence in a corner of the same hospital. Her story would have got buried in many such stories, except perhaps untiring efforts of her biographer and well wisher, the journalist, Pinki Virani. In December 2009, Virani had filed a case in Supreme Court in India to allow end of life for 58 year old Aruna, whose rapist had walked scot-free after a seven years of prison sentence.

I would have forgotten all about Aruna had it not been a recent news article that said that Aruna’s brain has reduced from its original size due to death of brain cells, which were deprived of oxygen during the rape. Aruna’s story had always disturbed me, then when I had read about her for the first time, and when I am reading bout her now. It’s strange how we live in a lop-sided society, where perpetrators of violence often are released with a modicum of punishment, deterred as we are by small and large clauses of our legalities, and the innocent continue to suffer. I have tried to put myself in Aruna’s shoes in vain, for I cannot even begin to imagine a life where one has not much of any sensations, but of pain; and of living a life like her, forgotten by all, and at the mercy of some. And I am in awe of Virani, who first visited Aruna when she wanted to write an article on her for her newspaper, and landed up writing a whole book on her. I am certain that out legal system is not always as skewed as with Aruna, that justice is often delayed, but not denied, and yet I cannot get over this feeling that it’s such a colossal waste of a human life. This shouldn’t have happened, and if it had, then something must be done for Aruna, something maybe we can still do? But what, I wonder.

'Aruna Shanbaug's brain shrivelled after 1973 sexual assault' - The Times of India

2. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Its very painful to read the happenings in the life of Aruna. It is even more painful to hear that the person walked away with just 7 years of imprisionment...and she still suffering...Still the society is same or even worse...really worried on where are we heading to...sections in the judiciary should be revisited...

3. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Malar2301,

It is indeed very tragic and the event's sadness continues to haunt me even today, as I am reading more about Aruna in the papers. It seems that our government has decided to fight againts an euthanasia, although Supreme Court is yet to give a decision. Nurses in the KEM hospital are willing to take care of Aruna for as long as she lives, but then again, its not them in that state. Who has the right to decide for Aruna? This seems to be the most important question right now.

4. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Today the Supreme Court of India has denied euthanasia for Aruna, but the judgement has claerly left a path open for debate on the subject of euthansia. The court has allowed a 'passive euthansia' by withdrawal of support sytems, but has denied right to an outright killing of a person in a severe and irreversible vegetative state. Its my opinion that even the SC is leaving open space for people, or familes of the patients, to decide on their own course of action. It's a path breaking judgement indeed.

5. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

This story left me shattered for a while and also extremely grateful for the safety I've had in my life so far. I agree that the judiciary should not have let the accused off so easily. He deserves more. It would be wonderful to see government take notice of the crime of rape and come up with the proper legislature and judiciary to combat this terrible crime that's so rampant in our society today!

6. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

This story left me cold emotionally.

Also, things would have been totally different if she would have been a Doctor.

Doctors are considered royalty, Nurses are considered lower than servants.

Such sickness.....

My prayers go out to such souls....

7. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Its so so painful to read about Aruna. The judiciary should not let the rapist go off easily.. he should also feel the pain...

Shanti