1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The difficulties faced by a woman

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Aug 16, 2008.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

When a girl is born some some people dont appreciate but for some say Lakshmi has come to the house. She has to go through so many difficutlies.
    Before marriage she has to listen to her parents and act according to their
    wishes. If she is not married in time people start asking what is the problem.
    In present day she has to have good education, good job , should be good looking.
    Some girls are there who have everything but they act very smart expecting
    too much from the alliance she gets. Some are there who are soft spoken and
    dont know to raise their voice. These girls only suffer a lot. When she is
    married she has to adjust with her in laws. Some are lucky they get good
    in laws who treat them as their daughter. Parents who have sons wont know
    the value of daughters. Some girls after marraige live as they want but
    some dont have that courage they have to adjust with their in laws and
    their husband. If husband is loving then no problem. But if he is a kit kit
    then problem. One of our friend's son got engaged to a girl but since she
    was not economic and spending a lot he told her that after marriage she
    has to be economic . She did not like that and she cancelled the engagement.
    Some girls are fun loving and like to spend money and enjoy life but they
    get husband who is just the opposite. Compared to olden times now the
    living of a womanhas changed a lot. Those woman who dont have courage
    face all kinds of difficulties.

Viji

2. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Viji
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cvjgopal%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PersonName"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    You have come up with an interesting subject. I fully agree with your comment that compared to olden times, the life of a woman has changed.This comment has made me analyse how and why the role of woman has changed in today's society .

One of the main reasons for this, in all fairness, is that the men themselves are no longer taking male su<st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>emacy for granted .They are willing to share their lives with their women on an equal footing. The traditional gender differences are no longer as much of a dominating force as they were in our forefather’s era.

I had posted similar comments in some other thread, and they seem equally relevant here so I will summarize my reasons why I think that <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>ogress is made on bridging the gender divide.

By virtue of his physical <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>owess,during the early caveman days, Man was the “Provider” and possibly his fearsome hirsute appearance resulted him being also the “Protector”. The female of the species being less daunting in physical appearance and also being biologically endowed with the ap<st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>o<st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>iate anatomical resources ,did well in doing what no man could emulate, namely participating in the active end of the <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>ocess of childbirth and child rearing. <u1:p></u1:p>Fortunately this is one area where she will always be superior to the male

<u1:p></u1:p>Nothing really wrong with this system, if that is actually what nature ordained, since Mother Nature always seems to know what is best.
    <u1:p></u1:p>
    <u1:p></u1:p>However today’s <st1:personname>frictions </st1:personname>seem to be arising out of a misconception of gender roles, since the good old days of caveman clarity have also disappeared. Today we are faced with a situation where a woman can say to her man-whatever you can do, so can I and possibly I can do it better.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]--> <!--[endif]-->
    We have actually observed cases of total role reversal in society. A brief analysis indicates the following factors may be responsible for this:
    <u1:p></u1:p>1. Breakdown of Joint family system:
    <u1:p></u1:p>In this system, the Elder males were always around, commanding respect from the female members such as wives, daughters and daughters-in-law and it was a tradition to honour and respects the male elders. The men <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>ovided, and the women kept house. However as society evolved and nuclear families became the norm of the day, these niceties disappeared and the total unconditional respect for the male was the first casualty.
    <u1:p></u1:p>2. Educational developments
    <u1:p></u1:p>Probably the biggest difference that society has undergone in its transition from the Stone Age era is that civilization has been established through <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>ogressive education. Today’s educated woman is unwilling to just accept male domination, simply because her mother or grandma did so. The modern woman questions and will accept an argument only if it seems reasonable enough.
    <u1:p></u1:p>3. Economic factors:
    <u1:p></u1:p>With the increasing cost of living, women need to work in order support the family .The rising expenses of day to day living have forced several women to look for jobs to augment the family income. Thus the last male bastion of being the sole “Provider” has crumbled. Im sure many of you know cases where the wife earns more than the husband. Literally, the husbands can no loner claim authority on the basis of being the sole breadwinner of the family.
    <u1:p></u1:p>4. Equal employment
    <u1:p></u1:p>Many work places offer equal employment opportunities. Simply put, there is equal pay and facilities for both men and women. Women working in such establishments must certainly perceive themselves as literally equal to the men.
    <u1:p></u1:p>5.Overseas opportunities
    <u1:p></u1:p>Many Families that have migrated to the West or other developed countries, must live by the social codes <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>evalent in those societies. In their new adopted homes their mindset will change and they will break away from traditional myths that they are fed on back home, regarding male su<st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>emacy. This in itself is a great leveller.
    <u1:p></u1:p>If the above factors are sufficient to break the male/female divide and we consider that men and women are equal, still the balance will be in favour of the women. Apart being the joint breadwinner, she also sets up and maintains the home and is irreplaceable when it comes to childbirth and child rearing. The emotional bonds that she shares with her family and the values that she instills in the children is indeed <st1:personname>pr</st1:personname>aiseworthy.<u1:p></u1:p>

In my opinion a woman of good upbringing, who possesses dignity is a gem and is a treasure in whichever household she is in.Let no woman have any inferiority complex and instead take her rightful place in society with her head held high.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Dolorcosta

Thanks for your immediate FB. You have written so well. God bless u.
    Somethings which u have written though I had in mind I did not know
    how to put it in writing and u have brought out those points.
    You have rightly said let no woman have any inferiority complex and
    instead take her rightful place in society with her head held high.

with love

viji<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

4. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear iyerviji,
    You have come up with a good topic.Right from olden days women face difficulties in one way or the other.But times have changed.Practically speaking,i don't think women are in trouble now.They lead a happy life.At the same time,there are some exceptions.There are women who still lead face disturbances.But according to me,a women leading a happy life depends on her family which lists to her father,mom before marriage and ofcourse her in laws after marriage.My parents are free and i have full freedom.Likewise a women's happiness is based on various factors.
    On the other side of the coin,in recent years our culture is degrading and women(some) don't exactly understand the synonym of freedom and for them freedom means wearing a dress which puts others in a delicate situation.The ethical values and the limitations are unknown which leads to misuse of freedom.This is my point of view.Controversial views are welcome....:hide:

Good mind rejuvenating topic..

BC

5. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear dear dolor,
    Your fb was excellent,rocking.All your facts are not just lines praising women but they are highly true ,exactly conveyed what had happened.Keep up the good work...:clap:clap

BC

6. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

To Ms. iyerviji

It's a topic that we need to discuss seriously and as extensively as possible.

7. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

To Ms. dolorcosta

Your piece of writing has nicely narrated how the social condition of women has changed in recent time. It has changed a lot in India, too.

But it is hard fact that a woman starts suffering prejudicial attitude towards her from her mother's womb. Female foeticide is rampant in Northern India.

However the increased level of education of the women is like the light at the end of a long dark tunnel. I myself being father of two young daughters wish that sooner the prejudices towards the women end, better would be the chances of human race being happier.

8. KiranD

KiranD Senior IL'ite

This is a good topic and you raise some important points, women are usually portrayed at extreme levels - either as a victim of society or someone evil herself - these days the truth is probably in the middle.

9. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Kiran

Ref yr post. Regarding the potrayal of women as scheming and evil creatures,probabaly the media is also to blame -specifically the mindless TV serials /soap operas that show women as terrible villains, who can put Kaikeyi, Manthara and Surpanakha to shame.

Also sorry to deviate from the main topic, but wanted to know if a city named Ramgadh really exists in New Jersey. The only Ramgadh I know was made popular by Basanti Tangewali of Sholay fame !

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  10. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Navaljee

Thanks for yr kind comments.

I too firmly believe that female literacy/ education is one of the absolutely key factors that will assist in the gradual reduction of social evils and lead to the formation of a more healthy society.

Regards.