The Definition Of Hypocrisy?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am a little less strict about the reasons a person can have for thinking burkini is not a suitable attire for the beach, without being labeled hypocritical. Wouldn't call it eye sore, but 'out of place.'

There was the case of the Muslim woman denied a job at Abercrombie & Fitch as she wore a head-scarf to the interview. Supreme Court ruled in her favor, and one can agree with and support the ruling, while holding an opinion like: "if you believe in wearing hijab, do you have to work at places like Abercrombie or Victoria's Secret?" . And, "if you are so into hijab, and full covering of body, is a public beach filled with scantily clad men and women the place to go?" Such opinions can exist alongside vocal support for freedom of men and women to wear what they want.

Going back to our discussion in Very Indian Problems thread, and the cartoon you posted,IMO a bunch of women can go demonstrate for women's freedom to wear what they want, and later talk among themselves: 'hey did you see what she was wearing!!!!' They would be guilty of 'gossip' or 'talking behind the back' maybe, but not of hypocrisy.

One can join the protest against a Bangalore school that sent out rules that parents cannot drop off child while dressed in nighties, shorts or night-wear.. while opining, 'why do women wear the ghastly nightie in public view!' or 'lungies belong in the house, and before maid-servant arrives in the morning and starts to mop the floor.'

Beyond a wholesome discipline of thought, I am gentle with myself. : ) Who am I!!! His Holiness the Dalai Lama, impersonated Trump like this in an interview..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rihana,

In my view, the first two don't quality as hypocrisy. Definitely, your third example qualifies as hypocrisy. Frankly, I have a lot of confusion in this subject for which I have no answers. All I feel is as long as I don't hate someone's choice it is okay. But I believe I am not still there where I have completely embraced LGBTQ as an acceptable norm. I have confusion in the following area:

1) Is marital status fundamentally created for procreation?
    2) If yes, how same sex marriage would accomplish that, if no, what is the sanctity of marriage when people can live together irrespective of whether a person marries a person of another sex or same sex? Why LGBTQ community fight for licensing same sex marriage?
    3) What is the psychological reaction of adopted children of same sex marriage when they see parents of two different sex of other children?

A perfect example of hypocrisy is a moderator asking everyone to be respectful to each other in the forum he/she is responsible for, while picking up war of words in another forum. Scope of work in this case may be limited but the principle is to make everyone respect each other and can't change based on the forum.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You would be talking about Megyn Kelly kind of moderators, right? Not mods of the Largest Online Community for Indian Women... : ) ROFL.......

Interesting to read your ambivalence on the LGBT issue and how that can relate to one's position being hypocritical or not. Appreciate the response.