1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The death of my wisdom tooth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Oct 8, 2009.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

If you ask me what am I frightened of the most or what is it that make me lose my nerve, it is A DENTIST (All the dentists out here please forgive me). Yeah you heard it right. I am dead frightened to consult one. From school onwards I was a regular visitor. I had some of my teeth filled or RCTed. Also I had put on the plain clip and braces since my teeth were too interested to be in an inclined position rather than being straight L So when I started getting pain from my upper molar I popped a pain killer and treated it thus. I had completely forgotten about it and one day ‘papdi chat’ reminded me that I have a tooth to get treated. A piece of my molar came out while I was blissfully chewing on my chaat. Since I was working away from my home I decided to get it treated once I come back. Again I forgot about it completely and the molar itself started reminding me with pain once in a while. Thus my DH took an appointment with his dentist here and dragged me along. Unless someone drags me to a dentist I won’t meet one. I, DH, FIL all the 3 of us had an appointment. Doc complimented my DH for taking good care of his teeth and said just a cleaning is required. (The people whom I am most envious to are those with healthy teeth with all those 32intact:bowdown). FIL had to go an RCT and was given an appointment sometime later. Then he called me and was too happy to see my mouth. Soon he gave me the nick name “Dentist’s delight” :bonkand said me once am treated he is gonna plan his vacation!!!! This will let you people know the pathetic condition of my teeth. After examining he referred me to another doc and she did a filling for my lower molar and took x-rays of my upper molars. Thus came to know my rcts are intact only crowning is to be done. And the tooth which was giving me pain was the wisdom tooth. So the culprit had to be removed and gave me an appointment on Wednesday for the same.

After reading about wisdom tooth extraction from sites, which mentioned stitches, jaw bone cutting etc I was dead against removing it. But with the support of my dear friends here and my loving DH I pulled myself and went for the appointment with DH. Throughout the travel I was silent, which is very unlike of me, and DH understood I am still tensed. He tried consoling me saying so many things, still I was apprehensive. The only joy I had was that I have to eat ice cream once extraction is done. We had to wait a few minutes outside, and my DH was jovially reading papers and passing comments whereas I was there sitting tensed like anything. ”aarkko pranavedana verarkko veenavayana” there is some such saying in Malayalam. THE moment came and doc called me inside, the asst. has kept everything ready – a syringe, a checking mirror and a thick stem kinda thing (I am unaware of the so-so names they use to call these). The waiting there really must have shot up my heart rate to at least 120/minute, especially the syringe which was placed just in front of me. Finally doc came and asked me to open the mouth by taking syringe in his hands……….ttto and all the tensions and fear I had came out in the form of tears. Yeah I started crying:hide:. My DH was embarrassed, though I have warned him I might cry he hadn’t took it this serious and held my hand consoling me. Doc and asst. was consoling me too. I didn’t want an injection to get done. But since he wanted his roof to remain intact and his other patients still to remain his patients he insisted me to get local anesthesia through injection. By 10 minutes or so I was feeling like someone had slapped me on the face and I have lost my senses. No sooner he came and took that thick stem like thing and gave knock from outside and inside of tooth, that’s it. The tooth came out. He showed it to me after wiping of the blood and holding it in cotton, as a gynae will show a mother her kid after a delivery. There lied the culprit who made me pass through all the pain and embarrassment with an innocent face:rant (the face is blackened though due to the cavity). I wished to take it home but before I opened my mouth doc threw it away. Ah! Thus went my wisdom tooth, which had painfully come down when I was 18 with the hope of assisting my chewing.

2. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Ami,

Hah, u had been indeed that dentist's delight dear:). Even I suffer from dentistophobia , so Ican understand the anxiety, fear n dread you would have undergone. Forgive me for saying this but I did have a laugh wen I read that u cried ,even I would do the same If I were in ur shoes, but your narrative was simple and amusing. Enjoyed the read thoroughly.

3. manjulapathy

manjulapathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Ami!
    welcome to the group, very well written! You know what? I have an appointment with dentist on 11th. Like you I have been postponing it for years together.:hide: No body has sympathy towards me when I say I have toothache. :rant

I dont mind going through this under GA:crazy
    Manjula

4. unna

unna New IL'ite

me too. But not in the wisdom teeth but in the molars. They are troubling me. I did nt tell abt them to anybody. Afraid to go to a dentist. Had braces when I was a kid. They pulled out 4 pre molars. In that age got dentistphobia.

Unna

5. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

oh ami ,
    nice description of the events that happened in a dental clinic
    good to know that it was simple enough for the dentist , as it was for you to recover.
    you got your one tooth removed and i have to get two of mine , and i know it will not be as simple as this

6. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

That was a nice narration laced with humour. Hope he has not taken away the wisdom along with the tooth. your narration is sufficient proof that he hasn't

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

"Since the doctor wanted his patients to remain so.."
    "as the gynaec would show the kid.."

I enjoyed reading your blog. One man's meat is another man's poison.. so goes the proverb. Here one woman's pain has become others' happiness and that was because of your beautiful narration.

Since you made so many people laugh with your fine piece of writing, God will ensure that you won't get any dental problems for the rest of your life.
    A great blog, ami
    sridhar

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

:) Ami dear...that was really funny, although at your cost. The minute I logged on this morning and saw the title, it brought a smile on my face and I am still smiling after reading your narration. I remember how it was last week once I went for my dentist appointment for a filling. Good thing for me is, once I remove my glasses I don't see anything very clearly and so the syringe was also a blur ! Thank god it was only a thattu from ivide and avide and the tooth came out. Loved the blog.

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Sheeba dear, thanks for the frist fb. He he no need of asking for forgiveness, I don’t have any embarrassment when I see a syringe and when I know it is meant only for me…I start crying, read somewhere that the fear of syringe is because during the first injection I had such pain and is reminded of that at the sight of one.
    Hi Manjula, Do not postpone it dear, because a filling might lead to RCT if you delay treatment. (I know I know what you are thinking, since yours is done you can advice others freely ;) )

10. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Unna, wow am I glad to hear there are so many out here with this ‘dentistophobia’ ;) Even I had my 4molars pulled out for bracesL
    Hey Jils dear, thanks for letting me know the process of removal and urging me to go for the extraction. Without which this blog too wouldn’t have been written;)