1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Night - A Short Story!!!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by malspie, Nov 3, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

The Dark Night

I was engrossed reading the book; the clock had ticked way past midnight. I threw my eyes around the room and suddenly something twitched my thoughts. The chairs were not empty, the room was full of people walking around, I could hear few vessels being arranged in the Kitchen. I was glued to my chair, with my eye balls piercing on every object. The street light which would illuminate my balcony was fused on that night. I searched for someone in my balcony. My search ended when I saw a tall figure leaning outside from my balcony. When my gaze fixed on the figure it turned and smiled at me, it was not warm. My lips had dried and my tongue was a bit thick looking for saliva. I decided to concentrate on the book. The leaves of the book had turned and I lost my chapter. Slowly, I pulled myself out of the chair and treaded towards the kitchen. The passage from the hall to the kitchen was dark. As my footsteps approached the kitchen, I could see some shadows rushing out and running towards my bedroom. What are these shadows doing in my home? All that I could say was, “Jai Hanuman”. I slowly reached the kitchen. My legs were shivering for some unknown reasons and my heart was pounding. I raised my weak hands towards the switch. The light was enough to drive away the shadows. They were not to be seen anymore. I stood at the door of the kitchen and peeped in to the passage once again, I could not see them anymore. I quickly ran the glass of water down my parched throat. I was sweating profusely. I missed the street light very much as it always illuminates my room. I had to put my body to rest. What are the shadows doing in my bedroom? I walked towards my bedroom and the chanting “Jai Hanuman” continued. There’s a chair in the bedroom and I could see a pale figure reading a news paper. How could it read in the eerie of darkness? It had comfortably perched itself on the chair. I threw my glance on the bed, thank god it was empty. The other shadows were standing near the window. They were all tall wearing long robes. They had thin hands and big heads. I could hear them chatting among themselves. How happy they seem to be, I wondered? Do they live with me in this house? Where do they go in the day time? Do they also work like me? I kept pondering. The figure in the chair was not perturbed with any noise or chats. It continued browsing the newspaper. I did not enter the bedroom, something stopped me. Instead, I walked back to the hall and suddenly found it empty. The book which I was reading had shut off with the breeze. I picked it up and placed it back in the shelf. I again looked in the balcony, the shadow had turned towards me and it appeared it was watching me. I felt a little awkward. The smile continued on its face. I did not want to show, that I am pondering on the issue. So I hit on the T.V. and tuned to the news channel. The shadow moved its position and angled in such a way that it can watch too. I was not comfortable with the shadow. From which world have these shadows come? Who has sent them? My appeal was to my parents who are stars on the sky, please drive them away. I do not need their company. “Jai Hanuman” was secretly chanted by me and it continued for some reasons. I quickly went for a leak. I had to go to the passage and then the cloak room. I was sure the shadows are busy in my bedroom. After the leak, I reentered the hall, and switched off my T.V. I chanted “Jai Hanuman” loudly and raised towards the balcony, it was jittery, but I had to do it. The shadows suddenly flew out of the balcony. That got me glued to the floor. Who was it? I pulled the shutters of the window and rushed towards the kitchen to put off the lights. The shadow on the chair spoke to me, Common Mals, how long are you going to hang out there? Just retire, you need rest. The voice seemed to be familiar and the appearance too, but all was hazy. I carried a bottle of water to my bedroom and jumped on the bed. Suddenly I found my room bright and clear. The street light was back in action. I peeped near the window and saw the shadows passing out. I looked at the chair it was empty. I again went to the balcony of my hall to see what’s happening. The shadow did not reappear. I opened the shutters and marched towards the bedroom. The things were clear, the rooms and the passage was brighter. I was so used to the street light, that darkness was a far cry to me. Were all the images the perception of my sensory nerves? I am still wondering.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007

2. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

HI Mals,

Untill i went through your post i am all brave to step into the dark side in my house...My whole body was trembling when i was reading your post...What is this mals?making scare :) of little gal?:notthatway:,I wont say its a page turner ..Its a scoller(mouse) story..Get going ,nice to read ...Still i expect some suspence and thrills...All the very best:clap...

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nalini,

I am so happy to know that I made a reader tremble... I kept it short as I did not want to bore my readers... Happy again to know that you liked my story. Cutie, keeping posting your views and encouraging my pen.. these are the words that make me take leaps in life..

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi mals,

Is it just a story..or an experience....

good one....

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hi mals,
    that was a great trip with you through your home in darkness and ur imagination..good pal keep it up..sunkan

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,

I would pray that It should not be an experience for anybody in life. Mind can fly to any destination we are the pilots of the plane called "Mind". I flew my mind in this direction. It is a pure imagination.
    Just tired writing a jittery piece. Did not stretch it too long ..

Hope you liked it...

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,

Thanks for the appreciation. You are correct, its a write up of pure imagination.

8. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Our dear Malspie,

Great wild imaginations and well presented thriller...

The agony, surprise and shock expressed within few lines to reach the viewers.

Yes, the concept is good and whole scenerio in the dark night added its value to story.

The mind is like a devil, when it is disturbed, it can play a havoc, then comes auto inner conciousness calling help from our Ishta Devta " Jai Sriram " Jai Hanuman, Om Namashivaya etc.,

Those little prayers soothes the devotee in distruss and releive his pressures & tensions.

The Power of Magic lies in the prayers.

Keep writing...

Subbu

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Subbu for your kind words of appreciation. I just tried writing a small thriller like "piece" not too sure how good it will go with the viewers.

10. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mals,
    Story is good but the time I read it is too bad...........as I am alone staying in my appartment and these wooden houses always make some or other type of sound which is really scary and if one squirrel run over the terrace, then u can well imagine my condition.........
    And I used to put on all the lights in every corner of my appartment when staying alone..........anyways,
    You know, at first, I thought probably you are talking about cockroaches as they used to move freely to each and every place of house..........and waiting for the climax but I was wrong in my imagination...........
    Take care and bye.