1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cupid Bench....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

After long today I felt like writing something, giving “Poems” a break for now. For this trigger blame it on the park again. OK I know what you’re thinking – There she goes again rambling about the park. Well, interesting things happen there so.

In my post today, a cosy corner bench in the park is the protagonist. I wanted to share some of the happenings of my evening walks, particularly the bench. This bench for me is like a tree…with branches, flowers, fruits and what not. Here is a bench, which is favorite among the youngsters, or to be more precise kids. I want to call it “Cupid Bench” :yes:. For weeks every time I pass by I end up seeing couples ( teen kids ), some in uniform, can you imagine getting cosy, lovy dovy, fretting, fighting, eating, crying, cuddling, kissing at times :shock: and what not. One of the days it was a foursome, young ones pillared by another pair, totally oblivious of the environment nor the time. This girl was happily fondling the boy’s hair all the while resting her head on his shoulder. I had no intentions of doing the moral policing act so just walked away, it’s the age. So this has been going on for quite some time, and every day it’s a different act. Surprising thing is to see school, college kids with backpacks settling there not for a minute worried if they would be seen by family. Oh how can I miss this one, after long quiet and happy moments they take a walk hand in hand just before they head out. Nearby vendors have a good share of their business what with ice cream and other things that is sold.

At times when my DH accompanies me I always tell him let’s go sit there for a while, but wonder why he refrains, it’s not so dimly lit around the bench that one must worry. So one day a thought crossed my mind, what is with this bench and couples?? Why do they want to sit here only leaving all the other benches around? thinkingsmiley I wanted to experience my own cupid-ology, I quickly occupied that seat right in the middle of the bench, just when a couple were eyeing it. I mean what the hell, it’s a public park. I looked around, nothing happened, I forced myself to think of something nice and sweet, tried to look onto my inner self. But lo and behold what were the visions I could see, firstly gosh the veggies that I needed to buy, had to go home and cook. I brushed it aside, next came to do things for the week, now not that. I tried to concentrate, where is my cupid gone, when your 31 what do you become, neither here neither there age types I suppose ;-) . Then after trying to think what to think, guess who and what crossed my mind – My MIL, not here please god, spare me Witsend. I have another month to go before we cross paths. I need peace now and time to prepare. But no this thought just got glued to me, and just didn't go. I finally gave up, thinking maybe another time and day for the bench.

For now, let the ones presumably infatuated, mistaking to be in love or what I don’t know, enjoy sitting on the bench. It’s all theirs.

8 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Scorpio,

Learned people talk about transformation in life as the best way to achieve our spiritual goals. Our habits, behavior, attitude, temperament, thoughts, words, actions must change as we grow older. Refining ourselves is the key factor to our peace. That transformation should make us become lighter inside with no baggage.

What really happens in life is quite opposite. We get bogged down by our thoughts of day to day issues and problems. Adolescents who clasp their hands together, sitting in the bench not fearing about the rest of the world is probably the best period in their life as they would experience what many of us are experiencing now as they grow older.

Either we try to relive the life we came past or living the life we are yet to experience. If we learn to enjoy the present moment and the joy associated with that, life will be peaceful. We came in pursuit of happiness but we end up bogged down by the mind that constantly reminds us of the testing times. It is hard but we need to learn to stop feeling the burden and begin to enjoy what life brings to us. When I write these lines, please don't think I have conquered all these and I am in those thoughts as well. Knowing what to do is the first step.

Next time, take your time to sit on that bench, take a deep breath and relax. That is not a Court bench with a responsibility to judge nor a witness box to be judged by others. It is just a seat for you to relax and enjoy and so is life.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha nice one S7.

Cupid bench - turned Stupid bench after you sat there and started thinking about everything else other than cupid-ology :)

The mistake you did was you sat there alone, next time force your hubby to sit along - the theory will work - proven one it is - the youngsters have proved it for you. :)

2 people like this.
  4. Scorpio707

@Viswamitra - Viswa Sir, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, it was really kind of you to have read and responded for a post that I think seems a little silly. And yes I will definitely take time out to relax. Thanks again.

5. Scorpio707

LOL, force my DH to sit there ah...he will complain of mosquito bites for sure :tongue, somehow M's don't like me, so I am lucky unlike him....

2 people like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

hehe... Love bug bite you again... Good one Scorpio. Growing up, i used to take a walk at Marine Drive in Mumbai, which gives a nice view of the ocean. All along the embankment, many couples sit and enjoy the evening, the waves, the sunset and what not. I used to dream of sitting their with my DH. However, moved to US after marriage and never got a chance to fulfill that dream.

It takes two to tango, so have your DH with you, maybe in the early morning when M's are not there. Maybe you can use M's as an opportunity to slap him ..... hehe....:rotfl

4 people like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear, that bench must be a spooky one. It brought you MIL to mind? Bot exactly a place to have pleasant thoughts is it? Hope none of the girls sitting there is engaged and has nightmares about prospective MILs

4 people like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

M's can't take Scorpion bites :) but Mils do haan? :):):)

3 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh Scorpio, how can you say you were alone on that bench? Your mil made sure you would not feel lonely sitting there and was there in spirit to give you company. :-D :rotfl :hide:

3 people like this.
  10. Scorpio707

Better to be bitten and smitten by Love than M's na :wink:....And you know Akanksha I don't need M's as an excuse to slap now, I did that even before we completed our first anniversary, LOL. It was not deliberate but just happened in a flash :tongue , not out of anger as such. It's such a pleasure to remind him I did that :lol:

1 person likes this.