1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The college days!!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by meril, Nov 7, 2013.

1. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

The college days… Part 18 B

Maya and I had some random topics to speak before we were called for dinner. I asked Maya to take the lead while I followed her this time.

Anyhow, we seemed like strangers at the dining table. Even though I was starving I made sure to maintain all the table manners and waited until the guests had served their food.

Mom excused herself and made her way to the kitchen with a bowl placed on the table.

Ram uncle chewing his food asked me: Akshay, what’s your plan once you complete your degree?” My dad had a ready answer to give, he mocked at me and turned at Ram uncle and said: Oh, Akshay never plans anything for his future studies.

The entire hall was quiet which made me hear someone giggle, wasn't sure if my mind was tricking me, as none of them seemed like they were giggling.

I was anyhow offended and said in a stern voice: Uncle, I would like to pursue a job and work for 2-3 years before I did my future studies. My eyes were fixed on Uncle Ram while stating my decision though I wished to see dad’s reaction from the corner of eyes, I refused to do so.

Mom came from the kitchen refilling the bowl of fried rice which was placed back on the dining table and forcing the guests for a second serving.

I didn't want dad to pass any more comments and decided to finish off the remaining chapatti on my plate and leave the table. My tummy growled for a second serving but I convinced to fill in up with dessert later.

I excused myself and went in the kitchen to help mom with the dessert.

Placing each gulab jamun on individual bowls and later on tray to be served around was a task I took up whenever there were guests home.

I personally enjoyed doing it and patiently waited to gulp all the remaining.

Mom peeked to the hallway and found that they had finished with their dinner.

By then Maya and her mom was sitting at the couch once again. I held the tray close to Maya’s mom and then to Maya. Both of them took a bowl each.

Uncle Ram and Dad were by then walking in the house premises. I made my way to Uncle Ram. “I’m too full, can’t have anything more”, said Uncle Ram touching his protruding tummy.

I hesitantly held the tray at dad refusing to have an eye contact. Dad raised up his hand which signaled, “No.” My tummy was happy at the increasing number of refused gulab jamun.

Mom had joined the ladies at the hall and the conversation continued. I placed the tray back in the kitchen and chewing the juice out of one gulab jamun quickly.

My stomach thanked me and requested for another.

I quickly tried to pass another one through my food pipe; I didn't wait to chew this one and gulped it, it was half way through when I turned to see Maya with the empty bowl.

I was shocked and the gulab jamun which was still half way through my food pipe made me chock.

“Are you alright?, she enquired. “Yes, I replied still chocking.

“I just thought to place these back” , she said handing over the empty bowl to me with a smile.

Once she left the kitchen, I banged my hand hardly on the table top to suppress my embarrassment.

Soon Uncle Ram reminded them that it was getting late. All of them stood up to leave and I entered the hall to see them off.

While the parents walked towards the car porch. Maya slowed down to tell me bye.

“Bye, and hope to see you in my college.” I said with a wicked smile.

“Ohh No, don’t say that” ,said Maya faking an angry face. We both laughed once again to which Ram uncle asked: What’s the joke anything that can be shared?

We just smiled to the question.

To be continued…

2. nivsrini

nivsrini Silver IL'ite

Nice episode :thumbsup

3. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Very nice story .. I finished reading in one go and didn't feel like even taking a break.You have written so well and your story line is so interesting .. Ashika and maya wow interesting characters.. Eagerly waiting for the next episode please update soon

4. rekas

rekas Silver IL'ite

way to go meril ... read the story at one shot... waiting for your next episode..

5. luv

luv Silver IL'ite

Meril..nice narration..waiting for next part...

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meril,

The story was very interesting, making us to think what's next....
    Please continue the story and complete it dear.

7. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear @sreeram,

I was wondering how did you ever find this story which was discontinued a year ago!
    Was intending to continue with this story once I'm done with My Daughter- The most precious

Thanks you for reading the story and appreciating my very first attempt at story writing!

sreeram likes this.
  8. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meril,

Was just checking for stories written by you and i found this... No prob dear... but please do continue it when you get time.

meril likes this.