1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The college days!!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by meril, Nov 7, 2013.

1. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

The college days.... Part 17 A

"Yea, right", said Ashika and look at Akshay.

Akshay found the shine in her eyes magical and was speechless for a while before Ashika waved past his face and said "heellloo!!" and laughed at herself.Akshay laughed along and got down the stairs with her, least bothered of his friends.

He wanted to compliment her beauty and the shine in her eyes, and called out "Ashika!" To which she turned and strained her neck to look up at Akshay and gracefully said "Yes." in a low tone.

Akshay noticed her brother ride his bike into the compound and all he could say was "All the best..for the exams." and smile innocently.

Ashika, just giggled at him and wished him in return. Akshay felt her brother was staring at him and noticed him asking Ashika something before she could get onto his bike. They soon made their way out of the campus honking twice to clear the students passing by.

Akshay secretly watched her till she was out of sight. That very moment he was sure that like the majority of his college mates, he too had a crush on her. He walked home at a low pace and kept his mind busy thinking of her.

He reached home and went in search of his mom as she wasn't seen around as usual.
    He opened the door to the kitchen and was welcomed by different aroma, and a little smoke. His mom was in there seeming too busy.

"Mom.. Why so many dishes? What is special?" enquired Akshay. Confirming it wasn't his parent's birthday or anniversary.

Dad has invited Uncle Ram and his family home answered his mom by pouring few drops of curry onto her palm to taste the salt.

A little pinch of salt is needed murmured his mom and asked Akshay to pass the salt placed on the shelf above him. He handed the salt and asked, but why has Dad invited them?

"Ohho!!"Akshay.. he wasn't home the last time they were home, so he must have invited them. "Now please go and tidy the CD racks in the hall and clean your room." said his mom louder than usual.

I will tidy the CD rack but not my room mom. The guests aren't going to come to my room said Akshay before he left!

Akshay sat down on the floor in the hall and started tidying up the rack from the bottom. The CD collection ranged from movies to wedding albums. He was interpreted by a vibration in my jeans pocket.He took out his cell and the name displayed Ruby.

He answered the call,"hello"

"Yeah, Akshay you are coming for the movie right?" She shoots the question.

"Well, I can't Ruby, got few guests coming over.",said Akshay.
    "Oh, yea! You have so many friends these days I forgot." said Ruby sounding sarcastic.Akshay knew she was darting at Ashika but initially kept quiet.

"OK.. You enjoy with your "new" friends, we'll be going for the movie.", said Ruby suspecting if it was a made up excuse.

To be continued..

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice story. You have penned all the small things that happens between the kids in the college.
    Great narration....

1 person likes this.
  3. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Excellent narration ! :thumbsup Looking forward for the next part !

1 person likes this.
  4. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

I started reading college days from today oly.. was totally into..infact started imagining the characters myself..Perfect one..eagerly waiting for the next part :):)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

The College Days.. Part 17 B

Akshay headed to his room once the CD rack was cleaned up. Went in for a quick shower, got out in his towel and searched for clothes to dress himself up.

He got hold of a tee-shirt and three-fourths and wore them without a thinking twice of his choice.

As he dried out the water on his hair with the towel, the doorbell rang.

“They have come I better hurry before mom starts yelling”, he thought and got hold of a comb.

Akshay brushed through his wet hair with a wide bristle hair brush and leaned towards the mirror with his left hand supporting the mirror frame and thought to himself: ‘Ahh, I look handsome now.’

He throws the towel on the bed and pushed the chair with cloths towards the study table piled up books and headed downstairs.

On the way Akshay saw his mom passing by with a tray filled with snacks.

He craved to get hold of the entire snacks, and thought of the teachings of grandparents which said always treat your guests as God.

By then the guests were seated at their respective seats. Uncle Ram was chattering more as usual and Akshay's dad limited his speech to few words with the intention to keep the conversation going.

Uncle Ram’s wifes’ and daughter-Maya didn't take part in the conversation.

When I caught their attention. Uncle Ram said: “Oh, look Akshay has come.” As if he never expected to see me in my house.

I just stood with a smile and managed to glimpse at his daughter. She was girl who looked younger than a 12th graduate.

She wore a denim dark blue skirt and a white smart looking shirt with a sleeves for the namesake, I remember Ruby correcting me once by saying: It’s known as “cap-sleeves”.

He smiled at her and Uncle Ram’s wife and didn't know what to do next.

“You are in your second year right?”, asked Uncle Ram’s wife breaking the awkward silence. “Yes, aunt.” I said sounding as humble as I could.

‘When is your second year’s final exams, is it over?’, an unnecessary question asked by Uncle Ram.

“No, It is in a weeks’ time” replied Akshay.

“Oh yeah, and he is all prepared for it.’, said Akshay’s dad in a sarcastic tone.

Akshay made a grumpy face in response and didn't utter a word. Akshay’s mom came back with a tray of soft drinks and offered one to Akshay as well.

Why you standing Akshay? Take a seat said Uncle Ram’s wife. Akshay sat quickly as if he was just waiting to be told.

The convocation continued and shifted from politics to economic crisis.

None of the topics seemed interesting to me and knew I wasn't alone when Maya kept looking at the wall paintings which were a decade old.

Mom had finally done serving the starters and soft drinks and took a seat close to Maya’s mom.

Even they seemed to have common topics of interest.

Anyhow their conversation wasn't audible for Akshay who was sitting on the opposite couch.

Maya sat on the couch adjacent to mine; I suppose her mom realized that Maya was bored and said: Why don’t you people speak something.

She kept shifting her eyeballs between me and Maya.

‘Yeah! Take her to your room Akshay.’, said his Dad.

‘No, not my room.’ , thought Akshay. He could sense his mom staring at him and imagined her say “I asked him to clean up his room.’

“Go..go.. Maya”, said Akshay's dad politely to Maya. Uncle Ram chuckled and said: Yeah, our topics might not interest them”, totally understanding our state of mind.

Maya stood and looked up at me to lead the way. All I could think of was the mess in my room and of some excuse to cover it up with.

I looked at my mom from the edge of my eye and knew all what she was telling me in silence.

Akshay went up the stairs skipping each step in between while Maya followed slowly ensuring she placed her feet on every step.

Akshay thought of a plan in between and quickly turned back at Maya and said: Listen, I have to clean my room, will call you in in a few minutes.

“Well, that’s okay you don't have to clean it up now.”, said Maya speaking her first few words since they arrived.

“No, it isn't you may regret your decision.’ ,said Akshay promising her it wouldn't take long.

To be continued...

1 person likes this.
  6. nivsrini

nivsrini Silver IL'ite

very good narration. a typical college days of mine remembered when i was glancing on each and every word of your narration..Meril good job :yes:

7. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your appreciation nivsrini!! :).. Will post a new episode soon.

8. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

The College Days...Part 18 A

Akshay got into his room and closed the door behind leaving Maya to wait at the doorway..

Akshay looked around and sighed being doubtful if the promise could be kept- He doubted if Maya had wait for hours!

Akshay soon spurn into action by pulling the chair with cloths and grabbing all the cloths his hands could hold. He opened the wardrobe and dumped them all in.

He ensured they don’t fall off while Maya was in by locking the wardrobe.

Next Akshay threw the towel, making it invisible for Maya and folded his blanket.

He left the pile of books on the table untouched as he knew it would take him forever and couldn't afford to misplace any.

Akshay looked around once again to ensure everything seemed fine.

He opened the door to see Maya patiently waiting.He invited her in by pulling the door wide open.

She got into the room and looked around, Akshay said a secret prayer while she looked around.

“Take a seat Maya”,said Akshay pulling out a chair which was filled with a heap of clothes few seconds ago.

Maya obeyed Akshay and sat on the chair while Akshay sat on his bed leaving the door partly open.

There was few seconds of awkward silence, before Akshay asked..”So what are you planning to do next?”

“Not decided as yet, a degree maybe in BCA or.. B.com.

Have you decided on the college? Was Akshay’s next question.

Well.. Not yet .. Have a list of colleges in mind and have been researching on the same. Let’s see what is in store for me, she said and added I have your college also on my list too.

Akshay couldn't come up with an appropriate answer and said: “Oh that’s nice.”

“Nice?” What’s so nice about it? Maya said not sounding happy with the college.

Akshay was clueless of the reason and rolled his eyes and said in response: “Well, there is nothing bad about our college, it is always managed to be one of the top 10 colleges.

“Yeah, I know and it’s nothing to do with the college.” ,said Maya.

“Then?”, asked Akshay sounding curious.

"I don’t want to study in a college which is just half an hour away from home.
    I have added it because my parents asked me to..

“I want to stay in a hostel, be far away from home and enjoy my freedom.”, said Maya who had slipping into an imaginative world.

“Hahaha!!” ,laughed Akshay uncontrollably and said: Think of my state, college is just 10 minutes away from home for me.

“Haha”, Maya giggled and asked: Was it your choice?

Well, since the college is nearby parents had always had it on the first preference list.

Moreover, my dad had to get a transfer when I was in my final few months of school life. Which left me with no other option than following their decision so that mom wouldn't have to stay alone.

"Hahha", Maya laughed at my tough luck and added: "Guess we both are on the same boat."

To be continued…

1 person likes this.
  9. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Hi meril,

Very nice narration and well explained. Story seems to be very interesting leaving us in an excitement what would be the next. Great.
    Only one thing that you need to take care. Please decide whether you need to continue as self explained meaning Story being narrated by Akshay himselves or as a normal story.

For example in your Part 17-B
    Uncle Ram’s wifes’ and daughter-Maya didn't take part in the conversation.

When I caught their attention. Uncle Ram said: “Oh, look Akshay has come.” As if he never expected to see me in my house.

...soon after it continues like this

I looked at my mom from the edge of my eye and knew all what she was telling me in silence.

Akshay went up the stairs skipping each step in between while Maya followed slowly ensuring she placed her feet on every step.

This is kust a small correction. Keep up the good job :cheers

1 person likes this.
  10. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Hi Rith!

Welcome to my thread. Thanks a lot for your appreciation. It inspires me to write more.

Coming to the correction, thanks for pin pointing my mistake.

I felt it would be better if the story continued from Akshay's point of view but on the other hand doubtful whether it would confuse the readers. So at certain points I have mentioned "Akshay" instead of "I" so that it would be clear to whom I am referring to.

I do understand that it isn't right to switch between two styles of narration,will pay more attention to it.

Thanks for the feedback once again and looking forward to hear from you.

-Meril mademydaysmiley