1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Closure

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Dec 22, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Shiela was on page 140 of ‘Something Borrowed’ when the phone rang. She hated being disturbed while reading but the news shattered her world.

‘Mrs.Rahul right?’ the voice asked authoritatively.

‘Yes who are you?’

‘We are calling from Ashok Nagar police station. Is your husband in the city?’ asked the voice.

‘No he is in Pune for a project work. What’s the matter?’ fear filled her stomach.

‘Nothing mam. Someone from the station will visit you in next fifteen minutes.’ The voice said and disconnected the call.

Her Truecaller app confirmed that call had indeed come from the police station. She called Rahul and there was no response from other end. Didn’t he say he has work in the weekend and that’s why he couldn’t come home? She dialed the office extension and there was no response from the other end.

Soon men in uniform knocked her door and she instantly knew something was wrong.’Can you identify the man in the picture?’ asked the senior official. She knew it is her Rahul staring at the ceiling as life has taken out of his body.

Shiela’s world blackened and next she remembers being seated in sofa and neighbor aunty fanning her.

‘I have called your parents Shiela. They are on the way.’ She told.

Rahul? How?Why? Who? Questions haunted her. She married Rahul a year back and it was a match arranged by her parents. They led a very happy life for six months and post which he had to relocate to Pune for a project. She couldn’t accompany him because of her job.But he assured to return back in three months which kept on extended. In their last conversation he said he will warp it by this month. He said he had lot of work that long weekend and that’s why Shiela didn’t disturb him at all.

Who would have murdered Rahul? Was it money? He doesn’t carry many valuables around.

She had to visit Pune to co-operate with the police and they grilled her:

What were you doing on the day? Did Rahul have any enemies? How was your relationship with him? Her past relationships..his past relationships

It was after a week the police officer doing the enquiry told her the truth about Rahul.

Rahul had been sex chatting with a woman whom he had planned to meet on the day of his murder. His chat history in phone and whatsapp conversations acts as a proof. The CCTV recordings shows on the day of murder a woman clad completely in black burka was seen entering the apartment and exiting after an hour. Neighbours didn’t hear any noise. It was only when cleaner came next day morning he found the door unlocked and Rahul was found dead.

Shiela felt grave when she read the conversations between Rahul and the suspect.

‘Come to my house after ten. Let’s have a feast.’ Said a message.

The other number was out of service and seemed obtained using a fake identity proof.

But why was he murdered? Police also said he was drugged and murdered. Finger prints were wiped clean. Apart from Rahul’s parents many of the relatives pointed out Rahul had a loose character. Local newspapers had a field day with title such as ‘IT Techie found murdered by lover’ ‘Other side of IT Techie revealed’

Six months since the murder only thing that was clear is Rahul had been with many women prior. But what haunted Shiela was who murdered him and why? Distraught Shiela pleaded in social media for people come with evidence if any. With no further clues investigations came to a slow halt.

One day she received a message from unknown number ‘Come to the Metro train station at 11.30pm today if you want to know why. You will never hear from me if you tell anyone or police’

Shiela obeyed as instructed. She wanted a closure. She wanted to know who did this to the man whom she once loved. Like Rahul love for him was dead as she came to know true colors of his character.

Station was deserted at the hour and she couldn’t find anyone waiting for her. She waited near the entrance where in a message said ‘come near to the tree in the parking lot.’ Shiela sensed someone waiting behind the tree and she was able to see a woman dressed completely in black. A scarf covered her face leaving just the eyes.

‘Don’t play smart Shiela. One word you would be dead.’ Shiela nodded her head. ‘I was Rahul’s girl friend during college days..I found him cheating me and broke up the relationship. He kept on pestering me and when I didn’t relent he did this to me.’

The woman opened her scarf and revealed her face. Shiela let out a loud shriek as the face was charred beyond belief.

‘Hush..Be silent.’ She hissed covering her face again. ‘His influential parents made sure even complaint was not registered with police. Like you I wanted closure and when I saw him Pune, I used the opportunity.’

A police patrol passed by the area. The police officer rolled down the window and asked them ‘What are you women doing at this hour? Where are you from?’

Shiela replied immediately ‘ I’m living in the adjacent street. I came to pick up my sister. We are starting now.’ she went towards her car and could hear police officer mumbling ‘Get home fast.’

Shiela could see immense gratitude in the eyes of woman standing near her.

sumalynux, peddadas, Adharv and 4 others like this.

2. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Does this story end here?

3. blackbeauty84

Yes. I have ended the story here

4. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

5. blackbeauty84

How?

6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@blackbeauty84

Hey! I liked this intriguing short story. Good job!

7. blackbeauty84

Thank you mam

8. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Condoning the killer of her husband for little bit of profligacy on his part is not right in my view.

9. blackbeauty84

Well, my opinion differs

sangeethakripa likes this.
  10. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite