1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The clash of surnames?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anya1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. anya1

anya1 New IL'ite

My friend got married recently. She has a wonderful career and is known in her corporate world with her full name. Due to this, she and her husband decided it was okay to continue with her original surname. But, her MIL thought otherwise!:rant A hue and cry was raised, long polite difference of opinions soon turned into cold war....all for the last name! Friend adamant to keep her last name and reached a compromise to tag along her hubby's surname as well but her MIL still unhappy. MIL wants only her family name!

Personally, I feel the girl's wishes should be accepted and if both family names are kept together, what's wrong? Afterall, no one asks the husband to change his family name after marriage!!:hide:

And, when one can have a happy marriage irrespective of their last names, why bother so much? What do you think?:coffee

7 people like this.

2. AkhilaaSaras

AkhilaaSaras Gold IL'ite

Hi Anya,
    What you say is absolutley right. after marriage we gals leave everything for hem and come but htey wont allow us to ve our surname atleast.... whta goin to be there if it remains the same ,the love and affection anyway will be ther for ever... rite..

1 person likes this.
  3. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Absolutely right.
    If our elders incorporate this point in their minds, lots of problems are solved in so many families.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  4. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Ya, you are right anya...What is the big deal in surnames? If we are not attaching the surnames, it's not that we do not have our due respect for them... It's all the mindset which triggers problems for these things also!! what u say?

5. rheaa

rheaa Silver IL'ite

Absolutely right! People should stop bringing aspects like these into the relationship and unnecessarily raising conflicts between the wife and husband!

6. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

well said dear...

i am still riyakathir only.... though i have changed as riyaprak.....
    my hubby has no issues...
    and all know me like that only....
    no need to change.. MIL's are like that.... let she keep on telling and be unhappy...
    until the hubby is understandable.. no problem in life..

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

You are perfectly right....
    Its the girl's own decision to keep her father's initial/famly name or husband's side surname...as you have perfectly pointed out,after marriage noone asks the guy to change his name..its mostly the girls who needs to do the compromise in majority of the places after marriage....

i changed my name(perfectly my choice,neither my DH or my ILs asked me to) and added my DH's name after mine but few problems i faced because of this (in the funny sense :-D)
    (1)I had some issues getting my licence as whatever documents i had as proof had name along with my father's but then the place i stay(we are in different state),the rental agreement or whatever proof we have for the current address is in my DH's name(since he moved and arranged stuffs first in the city before me)..so i had to provide my marriage certificate as well :bonk
    (2)issues when i need to submit address proof when i wanted a new sim card and i had tough time in making that guy understand that i stay with my DH(dint have my marriage certificate at that time):bonk
    Many other similar incidents because of my surname change...hehee
    In all places i go,i submit my passport,pancard which would contain my father's name and all would look at me as some other person because i use my husband'sname behind my name...

Getting a proof that i stay in the same house along with my DH was a big issue for me...this made me get my 2wheeler licence,i am riding 2wheeler ever since my 6th std...only for address proof sake i got the licence so early..hehehee ;-)

8. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

You are exactly right Anya..
    This is exactly happening with me now. It is a very big procedure to change my last name in office and in all the records. So I told my DH that I'm not gonna change the existing ones. However, hereafter if we apply anything, then I'll change.

I hate this if anyone peeps in these kind of issues.
    Its not at all their problem. So better they stay out.

9. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

I still fail to understand how its any of the MIL's business.

1 person likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

By the time we got married I had way too many docs issued in my maiden name..Neither I nor my DH had the time / inclination to go change all of them .So I continue to use my maiden name. I don't think my PIL know or care what name I go by at work. For them I am their DIL .Period.