1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Chosen

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Mar 29, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

It was 6.30pm when Prabhu entered his cabin with a steaming cup of tea. The auto-generated mail caught his attention. That was quiet unexpected. He dialed Sagar’s number and there was no response from him.

Raj entered his cabin and said ‘Did Sagar discuss anything with you? I just noticed the mail.’

‘He didn’t. How come he submitted resignation without discussing with us? He was one of the best employees our team got. ‘ Prabhu said. ‘Discuss with him on this and let me know. If it’s something regarding compensation let’s get him what he wants.’ He added.

Prabhu and Raj were colleagues and close friends. They both rose to the cadre of vice President and they were handling supporting functions in the same department.

Next day evening Raj came to Prabhu’s cabin and said hastily ‘It’s the award... He is upset about it.’

‘That’s ridiculous. We gave him the award last quarter. Is he expecting it again?’ Prabhu hissed.

‘Not that..We gave a joint award to him and Amit. Basically Sagar spent many sleepless nights on the project where in Amit…You know we had to give Amit something.. So we did a joint award.’ Raj said.

Prabhu recalled the situation, though Amit wasn’t performing well, he had impressed clients somehow.

‘This doesn’t seem valid enough to quit? Are you sure is this what is disturbing him?’ he asked Raj.

‘It appears valid enough for him and he is serious about it. Let’s talk to him on this.’ Raj said.

That night as Prabhu was driving home, his thoughts were on how to retain Sagar.

When he went home one of his twin boy Akash greeted him enthusiastically wherein Akshay seemed indifferent. During the evening and at dinner , Akshay was cold at him where in he acted normal to his mother.

‘What’s wrong with Akshay?’ Prabhu asked once twins were in their respective rooms.

‘You really want to know?’ his wife asked and it irritated him.

‘Of course..I want to know why he is behaving like a spoiled brat.’ Prabhu yelled.

‘That’s because of you. Remember you announced that whoever comes first in half yearly exams will get their own tab?’ she asked.

‘But I got him the tab. In fact I got them both so that they don’t fight with each other..’replied Prabhu.

‘Yes Akshay got one with his hard work wherein Akash got a easy ride. Akshay feels his efforts went vain.…’ his wife muttered.

That minute Prabhu understood what Sagar went through!

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

It reminds me of the modified version of Grasshopper and Ant story

3. blackbeauty84

I'll have to browse for the story to get what you mean

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Wow , @blackbeauty84 So true , as managers sometimes to avoid conflicts or to retain some we end up making big mistakes like these .

While every employee should be treated equally when it comes to performance there should be set defined goals and only achiever should be get the rewards .

Good articulation with an example :clap2:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

This is so true and happens often. Merit loses its meaning when factors other than merit are considered. Well brought out, BB.

6. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

This is today's world !!! Nicely articulated !!

7. blackbeauty84

Thanks for your feedback lavii

8. blackbeauty84

Thanks. That's very true about merit!

9. blackbeauty84

yup happens very often across organizations