1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Children went Missing!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Oct 5, 2010.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It was about nine in the morning, my sister-in-law brought two steaming plates of Maggie noodles and asked me to call the children, my older daughter and my elder brother’s daughter. They are of the same age and are inseparable when we visit. They both had gotten up a bit early that day and were playing in our neighbor’s garden. Since my neighbor was having some construction work going on, there was a heap of sand in their garden where the children enjoyed playing. It was their favorite place to play. I went to fetch them and to my surprise my neighbor said that they had left a while ago. “They didn’t even open the gate, they climbed over the wall and jumped out” she smiled. Ok, they are a bit of a tomboy I agree. Not really anxious, I thought they might be at another neighbor’s house.

“Arjun!! Did the kids come to play with Arjun” I asked Arjun’s dad. “No, they haven’t come here” he said. He also suggested a few more houses in the neighborhood where they could be playing. “Arjun, why don’t you go to Shilu and Sabari’s house and check.” The little boy ran to the third house on the street. His dad also started knocking on another neighbour’s door to ask. I was getting anxious by now. My husband also joined me in the search and started knocking on every house on the street. Seeing us scream out the children’s names many of our neighbors started coming out to enquire what happened and one neighbor who was getting his bike out to go to the church said that he would check the entire neighborhood.

In one of the houses I went, a little girl said “Aunty, I saw them going this way a little while ago.” I turned to look in that direction. The road was perpendicular to our street and it was a complete mess with a large hole dug right in the middle of the road, mud all around it, with a pathetic excuse of a danger signal, a broken red tape, lying on the ground. The entire length of the road had patches of muddy puddles. There was a pack of stray dogs running around. There was no sign of the kids. I heart was beating so wildly by now that it almost seemed to deafen me. My eyes burned with tears. My mind was working hard to block out any horrible thought from occurring. I looked at my husband at the other end of our street. He was turning into another street and walking hurriedly. I raced across the road and stood at the corner and saw him returning with both girls. Relief washed over me. The whole ordeal was over in less than 10 minutes, but it felt like ages.

By the look on their faces I knew they had already been scolded, but that hardly did anything for me. I tried to be calm in front of all the neighbors who were retreating into their homes. I was only calm till I got them into the house.

Once inside, I started yelling at them, not that the 6 year olds would have understood much, but it was a way of relieving myself of the fear I had felt on the street. “Do you know that there is a big hole in the road filled with water? What if you had fallen into it? There are so many stray dogs on the street, what if they had chased you? There could be so many bad guys who could have hurt you, and what with all the lorries and cars on the road? You both are never to step out of this compound without informing me. Do you understand!!” This went on for about 10 minutes before I could really get a grip.

An hour later my dad returned from his badminton game and seeing the kids with long faces asked what had happened. I told him and he called the girls and asked them very calmly why they went. “We went to pluck flowers Thatha. We wanted to decorate our entrance gate with beautiful flowers and there were no flowers here.” “From now on tell amma or patti where you are going so that they will not worry, ok?” The kids nodded and smiled. It made me feel bad. They are so innocent; unaware of the dangers of the world, but it is my responsibility to protect them. I really envied the way my father had been calm in dealing with the situation. Maybe because it was already over and the kids were safe or maybe he would have been calm even if he had been there at that time. I am sure it comes with age. Because, I have seen the same man as mad as a wild elephant 25 years ago when my brothers, I, and my cousins had gone to the park without informing. Boy was he mad!! I was terrified by his voice. He had yelled at us for what seemed like hours, but nothing registered. I just knew not to go anywhere without telling mom. Now I know that he was not angry. He had been just as terrified as I was an hour ago. Terrified that something bad might happen to his innocent children, terrified of the perils of the world. I hope my children do understand someday that I was not mad at them but I was terrified to the core for them.

2. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Oh! I was really holding my breath till "saw him returning with both girls" ! I could really feel what went through your mind at that time and you are so right - we need to fight with our own mind to keep the bad thoughts out..
    I hope not many have to describe such situation. But very nicely written.

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I was so nervous when I was reading your blog. I was so happy when your husband found them. It happened in our house too. I disappeared when I was 3 years old. Everyone looked for me inside and outside the house. No one have seen me for sometime. My father was in very high position in Government in 1953. He called the police and they were searching too.
    Suddeny, my sister found me when I came out form under the cot. I believe I was playing hide and seek with my doll and fallen to sleep. My father was happy and mom shouted at me. Now i understand her.
    Did you enjoy thre flowers?

4. Sarasan

Sarasan Bronze IL'ite

OMG ! It is really hard to cotrol our thoughts, when search for the kids, These kinda situations makes us realise why our perents were so hard with us some times, thank GOD they are back safely, i need to be catious that my LO is now one year and three months old , Good Lesson fo all who are in Parenting - Thank you for sharing such experience, ofcourse u fail to rell us about the flower!!

5. AkilaMani

Dear Hopes,

Thank you for being the first to drop in with a fb. I truely pray no one ever has to describe such a situation. It was hardly 10 mins and they were hardly 5 houses away, nonetheless it was terrifying.

Akila

6. AkilaMani

Dear Coffeelover,

Dear god, your parents must have be so so worried, and to be calling the police... I just can't imagine their state of mind, and you were peacefully asleep all that while under a cot!! We can smile at the memory now, but it must have been so terrifying for your parents at that moment.

Oh yeah... I did like the little yellow and pink flowers they had collected, they were beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Akila

7. AkilaMani

Dear Sarsan,

So true, situations like these makes us understanding our parents better. The flowers were wonderful dear. Thank you.

Akila

8. jyothigandham

jyothigandham New IL'ite

baboy...was that some experience? i am so glad they came back...all the while i was reading...i was hoping they were safe...and life is more beautiful with children around...because we get to look back at how our parents brought us up and how we get to bring up our children...hope you enjoyed their smile and the flowers!

9. pathak2610

pathak2610 Bronze IL'ite

Gosh, i had tears in my eyes.... any parent can totally relate to it.
    I must congratulate u on the vivid description of the incident... seemed like i was in your place...

10. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

You have narrated beautifully the psyche:drowning:twisted: of a parent when kids go missing. I think its natural. as pointed by you as we grow we learn the lesson of taking things calmly. Your narration made me remember my childhood when me n my siblings had strayed away without telling our parents............. Very good writing....:thumbsup