1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cheap Mind Set

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Sep 1, 2021.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Sita had shifted to a new house. It was in the first floor of an individual house. The house was small and compact, with a little garden in the front. There were many flowering plants and trees and small pots holding different kinds of plants. Sita had a natural love for plants and flowers and she loved watching the garden from her 1st floor balcony. There were two rose plants, one hibiscus plant and many other plants.
    After two weeks she noticed a small rose bud in one of the rose plants. She kept watching it daily and one day it bloomed into a beautiful rose flower. What impressed her more was the colour of the flower. It was a combination of pink and cream colour. Day by day, it was becoming bigger. The second plant also started blooming. It was also the same colour. The hibiscus plant also started blooming. It was a light orange colour. There were so many of them and Sita was delighted to see them.
    One day, a small girl knocked the gate. The house owner opened the door. The little girl requested the house owner to give her one rose flower. She said that she wanted to offer it to the Goddess in the temple. “No, no” said the house owner. “We are not giving the flowers to anyone. They look more beautiful on the plants”.
    “But sir”, said the girl, “I want only one flower”.
    “No, no, go away and don’t waste my time” said the house owner angrily and sent the girl away.
    Sita was watching the conversation from her balcony. But she kept quiet.
    The next day was Friday. Sita got up early in the morning. Every Friday she used to perform pooja at her house. She always went to her balcony to have a look at the beautiful garden and its flowers. Just watching them gave her immense pleasure and peace of mind. Suddenly she noticed a movement in the garden. She watched closely. It was the house owner’s son. What he did shocked her beyond words. He climbed up their compound wall and jumped into their neighbour’s house. That house also had a garden bigger than this one. After some time, he returned in the same way. The neighbours weren’t awake at that time. He carried a plastic bag full of different kinds of flowers.
    She prepares some sweet every Friday and used to give some prasad to her house owner’s family. Hence after finishing her pooja , she took some Sweet Pongal which she had prepared and and went down to give it to them. She glanced at the pooja room. It was decorated with different kinds of flowers. “Oh! Lovely. Where did you get these flowers?” she asked her house owner. “We bought it from the shop yesterday” said the house owner’s son.
    Sita became angry. “Don’t lie Srikant” she said to the boy. I saw what you did. He looked down in shame. Then she turned towards the house owner. “You did not have the mind to give one single flower from your garden to that little girl yesterday. You don’t want to perform pooja with the flowers grown in your garden. You have made your son also to do a wrong thing. Do you think God will accept your pooja?” she asked angrily. The house owner also looked down in shame.
    Sita went to her home hoping the mindset of the house owner will change soon.

Viswamitra, meepre, Laks09 and 2 others like this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Lesson is correct but not the hope..

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

MEAN is the right word. In one apartment complex an old couple used to go around at 4 AM and collect flowers in a bag. The mystery of the missing flowers became a topic for discussion and the old gentleman actively participated
    in the discussion and included an imaginary article of rats developing a taste for flowers. I decided to take control of the situation and caught them red handed ,the next morning. The association fined them. People from then on looked at them suspiciously whenever they carried a bag even for buying groceries.SLN

Laks09, Thyagarajan and maalti like this.
  4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Maalti,.
    Reminds me of my work days. I use to work in a proprietary organization. My boss had a beautiful garden in his terrace. We had a man who worked both at his house and office. His work every morning was to pluck flowers from the garden and string it and give it for pooja in the house.
    This guy use to take a few flowers and hide it to bring for the god photos in office.
    One day my boss's wife caught him with the flowers. She grabbed the cover and shredded each flower and threw it in the garbage. Not because it was stolen, but because all flowers grown in her terrace was meant for the home and not office.
    How much more mean can a person be.
    Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yes Uma people are so mean at times. Thank you for the fb

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Such a beautiful nugget in the Sita’s observation how I missed it - I was very much part of the IL around the date of this post.
    I find my favourite story tellers @sln & @umaakumar have visited and commented nicely.
    Those who preach need not necessarily follow.
    Tribes of Sita’s are rare. She was bold to point out what he saw and the contradiction.
    Many have rules for others to follow not for themselves.
    For petty offence a government servant given extra ordinary punishment. Crores of rupees embezzled in league with officials by politicians but they are free to contest election from jail.
    Thanks & Regards.

maalti likes this.
  7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Thyagu Anna,
    Hope you don't mind me calling you Anna as you have accepted me as your virtual sister. Two reasons. 1. You are elder to me.
    2. I don't have an elder brother.
    Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and nice FB.
    Such good FBs encourage me to write more.
    Regards

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This reminds my own sister - younger than I - calling me from Redmond or Cupertino. She & her spouse gone there to lend helping hand for her expectant daughter in last feb’20. They have become grand parents for the third baby first two being of her son . I am looking forward to their return to Chennai.

I have absolutely no objection to your greet me here as அண்ணா. But then you had reminded me of those days of my sister’s harrowing time & distress.

Getti Melam - Supraja - An Apple Of My Eye

Thanks & Regards.