1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The changing scenario in our Madras, nalla Madras !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am now a resident of Chennai, previously called Madras for the past forty plus years.
    I feel like crying out

"Madras, you have come a long way, in becoming Chennai !"

In my younger days in Madras, the vegetable selling was generally done by vendors, who would come home in the mornings. We used to buy fresh vegetables everyday and do the cooking. There was a standard “Keeraikari” for every street – you could buy any variety of keerai for your asking ! Cauliflower and capsicum had just made their entry. Only Nattu thakkali was used for cooking. Bangalore tomatoes were never brought by street or cart vendors !

Going to Panagal Park by car to buy vegetables was considered “posh shopping” by the select few, who could afford it. The middle class always preferred the local area markets like Thannithurai in Luz, Chithiraikulam in Mylapore, New Zanda Market in Triplicane etc. For bulk purchase for functions, we used to go to Kothwal Savadi !

Till recently, this was the scenario. But now, what a great change!

We have exclusive shopping centres for fruits and vegetables called Spencer’s Daily, Reliance Fresh, Subiksha, More For You, Pazamuthir Solais, Farmfresh, Fresh @ Mylapore (and other local areas) – the list is increasing steadily almost on a weekly basis.

More varieties of vegetables are available now, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, red and yellow capsicums, artichoke,zucchini,are all available not to miss out on celery, Chinese Cabbage, mushrooms, violet cabbage, lettuce etc.

The stocks look so fresh, cleaned and arranged attractively, that you just feel like buying all of them, without losing out on any.

Sliced yellow and white pumpkins, cut segments of cabbage and yam to suit your weight requirements are readily available.

Vegetables cut readily for salad, Green chutney vegetable mix (you have to add only salt and grind !), finely grated carrots (tempts you to make Carrot Halwa), thin strips of cabbage ( add sliced tomatoes and coriander leaves – you get a filling meal), Biryani vegetables, Avial Mix, Mexican mix (the most colourful), Sambar-cut vegetables, chopped keerai….the list is long. Oh, how can I miss out on peeled Chinna vengayam and Peeled garlic ! Freshly grated coconut is sold in packs.
    So much for only vegetables.

Next, coming to fruits ! We get (almost round the year) Washington Apples, Chinese Pears, Australian grapes besides, peaches, strawberries, kiwis, fresh figs, plums, alphonso, fresh cherries and varieties of melons. I am likely to have left out a few.

Jackfruit is peeled and the segments are neatly packed, tempting us to buy.
    Pineapple is peeled, core removed and cut into round slices ( I want to make pineapple-upside down cake whenever I see it).
    If you want to visit a convalescing friend or relative, you can buy off the rack, peeled and cubed papayas or ready-to-eat, deseeded orange segments or a bowl of mixed cut fruits, ready to eat – the choice is yours !

But still my lament is, with the changing scenario, formerly I used to buy fruits and vegetables for Rs 50 for our family of four (then) and now I buy less than half the quantity for Rs 500 for just the two of us. I am at a loss to figure out whether, we are tempted to buy more on seeing new available varieties or have our eating habits changed drastically !

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I can easily answer the last question first. Inflation and economy are the factors I think we get less for more. I still find it difficult to call Chennai and so always refer to as madras. Its even more difficult for us who have moved away to keep track of changes and accept all the change. One thing that I have observed is that everyone seems to be so busy. I think its the changing times. thanks again for a wonderful blog. keep bloggin...

3. Chitvish

You may relate better with the word Madras, since you live outside India. Now we have Chennai Managaratchi, Chennai Metrowater, Singara Chennai etc that it has become easy for us to call ourselves Chennaites !
    Now, don't talk of rising costs - it is not steadily rising, but "sky rocketing" !
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear CV,
    Yes, I will agree readily with you that the costs are rising like rockets. Eating an Apple everyday was a luxury when we were kids, and the scenario remains the same still. Though you get lots of vareities of apples.

But I always love the cut vegetables. Though I dont get any near our house, I make it a point to shop for them whenever I go to Mylapore or Tirumallai Pillai Road where Surya Greens are located.

Being int he suburbs of Chennai, we get two or three keerai karis or karans coming daily. Also we have local market and a local vegetable shop who will deliver the vegetables on a phone call. But I really loved your words, Going to Panagal Park in a car to buy vegetables is considered to be Posh Shopping. I think the situation still is the same as, as far as I know the prices in the Panagal Park area are too high than in the Ranganathan Street market.

5. Chitvish

nomore continues, Rajmi !:thumbsdown
    That is because
    There are no more vegetable shops there after all these chain stores came about.
    Secondly, Saravana Stores & RMKV are now there & there is no space for car park at all.
    I try to avoid cut vegetables & peeled onions, because living in Mylapore, surrounded by all these chain shops, I will forget to cut vegetable at all !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear chithu

well i also do wonder at times tht for just buying a kilo of onion n tomato cost easily arnd Rs.50..as u say the cost of living has gone up so high in madras tht it is quite tuff to digest tht fact.....the veg looks so attractive to buy but i feel the olden days veg was so healthy whiout much use of fertilizers and artifical ways of making them grow faster......ayiram dhaan irundhalum OLD IS GOLD !!!!!!!!!!!!

with the peeled onion n garlic,cut veg for kootu n biryani,i have a strong feeling its just tht suriyas hav got the biz but we have all becum lazy to even cut or peel these vege!!!

lov
    sowmi

7. Chitvish

I prefer to buy only chopped keerai, because chopping keerai takes time. Others, I buy & chop.
    But they say that cut vegetables have the greatest demands ! Perhaps, it suits career women, for lack of time !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

inname, nee periya periya kadaingalla poi kayi, pazham allam vaangina, 500 inna, 1000 kooda aagum. Enna mathiri aaya kaila vangina peram pesara mathiri avananda pesa mudiyuma? Inna panrathu, kaalam kalikaalama pochithu.
    yes, the variety is very much tempting and so the purse is getting slimmer. And the eating style is also changed. You must also remember that we are buying less rice, only in kgs, where as earlier it used to be in sacks (moottai), isn't it?

9. Chitvish

Now, there is not a single vendor around our house ! With all the chainstores surrounding us, we have no choice !
    Yes, less rice, more vegetables, more & more fruits !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Next, coming to fruits ! We get (almost round the year) Washington Apples, Chinese Pears, Australian grapes besides, peaches, strawberries, kiwis, fresh figs, plums, alphonso, fresh cherries and varieties of melons. I am likely to have left out a few.

H......m Ennathai solla! White goods mela than foreign mohamnu paarthal ippo pazam, kaikarinu ellaame foreign mayamayituthu. Namma Kashmir apples, Bombay Hyderabad grapes, Ootycherries, malai vazai ellaathukum mathippe illama poyituthu! Anaalum namma mango variety irukke athukku alathi mathippu than! Athu eppadinna unga ezuthukku irukkiRa thani mathippu mathiri! Hello Ilites! Naan solRathu sarithane!
    Love,
    Pushpavalli