1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The celestial forecast....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sujathaumakanth, May 20, 2010.

1. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Dear Uncle,

Sorry for the delayed reply !!! Been caught up with a few things away from IL. Your chemistry professor sounds sure interesting.......professors/teachers who have that kind of calling are getting quite rare nowadays.

Yep I remember very clearly the trips to Thirunellar :)) and the weekly offerings to the planets at the temple. The rituals are still being continued in absentia, courtesy of my mother who strives to make peace between me and the planets :)

I remember reading a story very much like the true one you mentioned, except that the astrologer does not kill himself but merely loses his practice when he no longer dies at the predicted time. The narrative in tamil is done by a child of his and at the end he comments how something in the father did die at the forecasted time as he never was the same after that day. I no longer read tamil fiction but this must have been real good that I still can remember it after all these years.

Thank you so much for your delightful feedback..........I can never get enough of your writings, especially the humour in it. Having taken in by R.K. Narayan's delightful writings since my school days, I always like to inject a bit of humour in my writing as well, but have not yet mastered it with the ease you seem to wield your pen :)) or should I say the keyboard !!!!

Cheers,
    Sujatha

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

haha, may be your mother should always say just the opposite of what she thinks the stars tell her. Dante in his Divine Comedy put astrologers in hell. whether hell exists or not I appreciate his feeling of hostility towards them. Unfortunately the profession is thriving in the present age of insecurity.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha,

You are at it again and I am glad!:)

Once again your 'celestial forecast' found its place in the June nominations and one needs no predictions anymore to know that you churn out interesting blogs.

I may be ignorant, but thanks to my dad I have resisted astrology proving Ingersoll wrong! See, my dad invited every astrologer he passed by to our home offering them tea, snacks and some solid money in exchange of a poweful prayer, talisman or sacred thread that would alleviate whatever problems he was experiencing at the time. Not before long, he would soon be disillusioned with the astrologer only till he found another one recommended by a friend(foe?) or relative. Believe me, along with cash and cheque, he carried our horoscopes in his pocket!! Nothing magical ever happened to him, he had to work hard for every penny. My mother was never a believer and I am skeptical about such things.

Even now, I know of some friends who judge people and their lives based on the presence of certain celestial bodies in their horoscopes. God forbid if certain bodies are not those of choice...horrorscopes indeed! Nothing like one's own hardwork and effort.

Having said that, that Dame Luck is always intriguing!

All the best to you on the job front.

L, Kamla

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  4. Remanambiar

Remanambiar New IL'ite

Hi Suja '
    You have a very refreshing way of putting things .it was a real enjoyable read .I confess i am too with your mother .I love the occult and the oracles .They give me hope that all is not bad .Theres still hope for the world and me.:bonk

Love
    Rema