1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cart Before The Horse

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Times have changed, Cheeniya. I already feel like a fossilized dinosaur in this rapidly evolving social climes when I talk of conventional mores. There's been a tectonic shift since the beginning of the century in civil liberties and social constructs.

Today, no one really cares what you do with your life. Again, society at large does not exist. Only society at near exists. Your immediate friends and family are the ones who impact your life. I am sure the only thing that mattered to your brother's daughter was how her immediate circle perceived or aligned with her choices. Society at large is a humbug that we needlessly worry about. I keep telling the same thing: does not matter which era you are in, or which country you are in, or what your circumstances and situations are, what matters is which people you are with. As long as you are encircled by tolerant, sensible and liberal people, you are a practitioner of your will and values. People matter! They matter a lot, the lifestyle changes are brought on by these people who are not rebels, in fact, they are reactionaries who refuse to be assimilated into the larger society because they feel secure, happy within their close-knit group of compassionate associates. I sometimes feel it is awesome to be living in these networked times where you don't go about seeking permissions but only confer information. I am just doing this ....not .... Can I do this ...(any more). Having the right set of people in life (family and friends) matters the most in life.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am wary of such renegades who abstain from creature comforts under the guise of salvation or liberation. I am okay with the discipline factor but that too is dubious because cannot one discipline the modest “soul” with calorific diet and decent clothing. I like Henry Fielding who parodies the works of Samuel Richardson. When SR talks of “virtue”, “devotion”, “piety”, “righteousness” in Pamela, HF criticises such ideals in his caricatures of practical living in Joseph Andrews. Personally, I am circumspect of anyone who mouths yawn-inducing terms “virtue”, “valour”, “dignity” and such high-maintenance words in the same sentence. I run away miles from them.

My mom once took me to a meditation centre which dispenses satvik living tips: how to lead a life of greater and better fulfilment. You know, sometimes my mom is very funny. What all she does to inject “buddhi” in me which invariably back fire on her. I was bored to bones with those sermons. I had to rush to the loo multiple times on the pretext of a tummy haywire to avoid the headache from such grandstanding. I don’t think I am wired to tune to such lofty ideals of life. These look good only on posters or greeting cards. The real life is Darwin’s oft-abused ‘survival of the fittest’ in the arms race and may be dressing up to visit a bank.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    This is a profound statement that requires elaborate discussion but my physical limitation stops me from taking it further. Normally a feed back like this would have been like the bugle for a war horse for me. When I write, I write whatever comes to my mind as perfection is not in my agenda. There is a statue of Sir Thomas Munro in Chennai in which he rides the horse without the saddle and the stirrups. The general commentary is that the sculptor overlooked them but the pro-British lobby says it was deliberate and indicates the preference of Munro in horse riding. There is even a rumor that the sculptor ended his life when this mistake became public. In Freemasonry of which I am a member, perfection is said to be not given to man and it is the virtue given only to God. In other words, it implies that a virtuous man is on par with the divine. Since I am not a perfectionist nor do I strive to be one, I just gloss over this subject.
    As you know by now, I am a rambler and rambling has no place for perfection. There can never be a perfect rambler. And what freedom it gives me!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

@Iravati

I have very limited knowledge about the trolls but I do understand that they are unlikely to throng my writings. I cannot write about what interests them. Still, I often feel sorry that I have never had a tête-à-tête with a troll. I have heard that they have immense capacity to make one's life awfully interesting.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati

Do you really think that morals keep changing? There may be mutations of morals but they continue to exist in their original character. The story goes on from the day, Adam and Eve coveted the forbidden Apple. Their own children Cain and Abel gave us an inkling of what would follow. The slaying of Abel by his sibling Cain was the start of the long history of mankind. What we witness now is the mutation of the Original Sin. As population grows in leaps and bounds, sin must become all pervading. They just can't be repeating the same mistakes. There is more perfection in sinning so that the sinners go unnoticed and unmarked. There is a saying that the more they talk of their virtues, the faster we must count our spoons. In this confusion, nobody worries about the source of spoons in a person's possession!
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Parents are funny creatures. When I was handling my daughters during their growing years, I pestered them with what was good for them in my perception and what was bad. They resented my advice a lot and considered them as a kind of slave driving. Today I have grandchildren who are full grown youths. When my daughters attempt to deliver their sermons to them, I take the side of my grandchildren and defend their actions stoutly. In my mid seventies, I realise that I had been a little too harsh with my daughters! Lofty ideals keep changing from generation to generation. Recently the daughter of a Hindu friend of mine wanted to marry a Christian boy. While the parents were making hue and cry about what they considered a serious mismatch, the girl's grand mother was jubilant that she was marrying a boy and not a girl!
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You know me also, usually such receptive feedbacks startle me like a klaxon. What? You get me. You mean you really get me and then I would scratch away a page-length excitement. These days (1) I am mindful of the strain in your right eye (2) Duh! Not finding time for IL, hence keeping myself focused to only a handful of people/posts in IL.

Have you observed, usually sculptors and artists are predisposed to this perfection madness than writers. Writers wallow in their subdued crotchets, but artists surpass in agony, in that, their work is overt for criticism which induces self-doubt.

Artist: Is my form catchy for the eye?
    Writer: Is my style captivating for the mind?

When an artist aspires for “catchy”, he has to arrest your attention with the immediacy of his work. Whereas a writer can obscure away his writerly intentions in deferred and pile-’em-up layers of interpretations. Few months ago, I was investigating “perfection” in sentences when I came across a blog that alluded to Gary Lutz’s essay titled “A Sentence is a lonely place”.

“… The words inside the sentence must behave as if they were destined to belong together—as if their separation from each other would deprive the parent story or novel, as well as the readerly world, of something life-bearing and essential. … There needs to be an intimacy between the words, a togetherness that has nothing to do with grammar or syntax but instead has to do with the very shapes and sounds, the forms and contours, of the gathered words. This intimacy is what we mean when we say of a piece of writing that it has a felicity—a fitness, an aptness, a rightness about the phrasing. The words in the sentence must bear some physical and sonic resemblance to each other—the way people and their dogs are said to come to resemble each other, the way children take after their parents, the way pairs and groups of friends evolve their own manner of dress and gesture and speech. … The impression to be given is that the words in the sentence have lived with each other for quite some time, decisive time, and have deepened and grown and matured in each other’s company—and that they cannot live without each other.”

That definition is too sublime, however, it masterfully elaborates on my concise saying earlier: You know it when you have it. If the sculptor of Sir Thomas Munro's statue in Chennai were to replicate Gary Lutz's “perfection”, he would defend his work not only as Munro in the element but Munro in the most natural form of equine cohorts that is bareback riding. The sculptor should have consulted with critics like us before ending his life. What say?

I wonder what is the identification of a “perfect rambler”. Is linearity or integrity in thoughts the quintessence of a perfect rambler. As you started with a cart and jumped on to a Nilgiri toy horse and then turned the cart around and wound it to Sir Thomas Munro's horse, you are light years away from a “perfect” rambler with such horse play in your knockabout frivolity.

I shall catch up with your other posts, parenting, moral imperatives and newer threads over the weekend. And that fly in the White House too (I haven’t forgotten). Ta-tum!

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear sir,
    When your daughters were little you were playing the role of dad. But now with grandchildren it is the role of tatha which is different from dad.
    My parents used to behave in the same way. At that time grandchildren's parents look like villains!!!
    Syamala

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati

That enthuses me to ramble more and more! It is believed that the waves in a sea get more and more active as the crowds of admirers keep swelling. In Tamil, they call 'alll kanda samuthiram' (like a sea that has seen its admirers) It perhaps applies to a tiny mortal like me too. A famous carnatic vocalist once told me that he could sing better if there was packed audience.
    I too was of the opinion that writers were not as fussy about their creation as sculptors and artists until I read 'Performing Flea' of PG Wodehouse. I am bugged by the word perfection knowing that it can never be in my scheme of things. There was a time when I too was fussy about my spellings but now with a non-cooperative right eye, all that fuss has fizzed out! Whether the words in a sentence are destined to belong together depends on what kind of sentence one is framing. I have had a lecturer in my college who was known for asking boys loafing around without attending their classes with a terse, 'Why are you rotating the veranda?' The purpose of a sentence is to be crisp enough to be understood. If a person asks you about 'rotating the veranda', everyone knows that he implies 'loafing around'.
    Sensitive artists are more proud about their sensitivity than their work. They feel happier with the comments about their sensitivity than the laudatory remarks about their production.
    You are most welcome to have a look at my other ramblings.
    Sri

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    Your 'Dear Sir' makes it look like a letter to The Hindu! Without Cheeniya, it sounds very impersonal!
    Sri