1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Boy From The Village

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jul 25, 2005.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neethu,
    I wrote this story first in Tamil. That got rejected left right and centre. then I wrote it in English. Gokulam, the children's magazine published it as a five part serial.
    Then Deccan Herald published this story in its magazine section. And then in IL.
    And I have now included the Tamil version in my latest short story collection due to be released shortly.
    Violence can never be won over by violence. A wrong cannot be corrected by a greater wrong, nor can punishment deter a criminal. The only force that can reform anybody is love. The pure selfless variety.
    Thanks for the fb, Neethu.
    love,
    sridhar

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar

A touching story. It shows that hatred can be won by love and beauty is not everything in the world.

viji

3. varalotti

thanks, Viji. Love is the only force that can win over violence or hatred.
    love,
    sridhar

4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Such a sweet story uncle..

Poopandi is indeed the smartest of all the students there..

5. varalotti

Thanks a lot, Raba. What a coincidence! I was about to give one of my books to a professor. As I was packing it I read this story in Tamil. I had written this ten years ago in Tamil. And I cried making the courier boy look at me with suspicion about my sanity.
    thanks
    sridhar uncle

6. ponninithya

ponninithya New IL'ite

dear varalotti

when first of all i saw your name i thought you for a telugu origin. 'cause of the surname varalotti.

then going through google i came to know that you are from a village varalotti, near kariapatti.

let it be...

really i have mention....

that you made my eye balls swim in the tears' pool.
    throat muffled with pain till my ears....

a story make one to love each other.... even enemies

nithyakumar

7. varalotti

Dear Nithya,
    This story was written several years ago. Almost all magazines rejected the story. Then I wrote it as a serial in a children's magazine. When my short story collection came out in Tamil I included this story.

Love has that kind of a power Nithya. That's why I have been crying hoarse about love all the time. When you have time you read this latest blog of mine which is also a kind of love story
    A Virus Inside The Heart! - IndusLadies

regards,
    sridhar

8. NithinSrinivas

NithinSrinivas Senior IL'ite

Varalotti sir,

Poopandi...such a wonderful soul...to behave with such maturity at that age...as his name so is his heart..as tender as a flower..to forgive Lekha...
    Thanks for sharing this story...
    I have also read Gokulam but it was for a quite short span only...after which I wasnt able to continue reading the magazine..Nice to hear that this story was published in the magazine..

9. varalotti

Thanks, Nithin. The world has people like Poopandi. And it is because of them we have our monsoon rains on time.
    Well, it came in Gokulam many many years ago. But that was very badly edited. I posted the original version here.
    thanks for the nice words,
    sridhar

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear S, wonderful story. Goes on to prove that we should not judge the book by its cover.

One doubt though, is the name Poopandi pronounced exactly like it is spelled? I mean, why were the class laughing after hearing this name? Is it something regional which I am unable to get?