1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Beggar Woman!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Sep 15, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I saw this beggar woman, sitting on the pavement near a famous restaurant in a city. It was one of our casual night out with family, and we stopped there to have dinner.
    She waved at me the moment I got down from my car, and called me "hey..hey.. look" as though we were childhood best buddies. :joycat:

It took me a few secs to remember who she was, although I couldn't recognize her face clearly.
    She was the same beggar woman, who used to greet and wish me whenever we meet in that city a decade back.
    I worked there for a while, and I think, I must have helped her. But I don't remember why or how I did that.
    She used to beg in the city, and looked very old for her age. Her torn old cloth, frizzy hair and stained teeth were her job identification it seems. And I guess, she was quit successful in her begging job:sunglasses:

We happened to see each a lot during then. Each time, she would come towards me, greet me and talk to me loudly.
    I used to feel so embarrassed whenever she comes near me.:facepalm: On top of it, my friends used to tease me saying "oh..look she has a beggar friend". :BangHead:
    Perhaps, we lacked the maturity back then. So, I used to runaway at the sight of this woman to avoid such embarrassment before others. :roflmao:

But today, it felt very different.
    I did not expect such a loyalty from a beggar woman, that too after this many years. She identified me immediately, despite of all these changes in my life/appearance.
    She came forward as usual, and greeted me, inquired about my whereabouts and family with so much kindness.
    This time, I did not see her as a begging woman, nor did I feel any embarrassment to stand next to her. We had chatted for a while, and it felt really satisfied.
    I gave her money, and my contact details in case she needs any help.

On our way back home, I had a real life story to tell my children about being loyal and thankful to others who help you!!!:hearteyes:

SCSusila, lazy, Amica and 16 others like this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

On reading this experience of yours, I remembered for some strange reason the story of King Cophetua and the beggar Maid from Romeo and Juliet. I hope the lady you have written about meets with a similar fortune some day. and why not? Don't we hear of millionaire beggars of Mumbai? Once such beggar, Renuka Aradhya's company in Mumbhai has a turnover of Rs 30 crore and employs 150 people!
    He begged for a living, now owns a Rs 30 crore empire
    Sri

vaidehi71, SGBV, momsky and 3 others like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:the change to +ve could be due to -one - one's propensity and perspective changes with growth and background knowledge and 2. the aplomb and maturity as one advance in his age and varying settings in life. thanks. I trust this answers the riddle. Regards.

Naari likes this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful moral.....

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SGBV,

A good one. Nice to read.

"She came forward as usual, and greeted me, inquired about my whereabouts and family with so much kindness. "
    Beautiful.

"On our way back home, I had a real life story to tell my children about being loyal and thankful to others who help you!!!"
    I had a classmate who believed strongly in this - being thankful to others who help you. Once we were giving a group card to someone who had done a lot for us. We chose this gal to say a few words and hand the card on behalf of us all. She went up, and started with, "Because I firmly believe that no kindness or good deed should go un-re-card-ed, I am here with a card from ..." We all burst out laughing.

un-recard-ed == unrecorded.

Lost touch with the classmate, but remember her words whenever I am selecting a thank-you card.

Thyagarajan, kaniths and SGBV like this.