1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Balancing Act

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, May 22, 2016.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Sometime ago, I read an article written by Scorpio and Alakansha about first times. I have been intending to write this for a while now, and have finally gotten around to it.

I’m sure everyone had fun while learning to bicycle. Nowadays, we get cycles with extra wheels, so that children can learn on their own, without their parents needing to run behind them to hold them.

Well, I am writing about how my elder sisters, who are now about 60, learnt to cycle. This incident happened when they were about 8-9 years old. At that time, we lived in Bangalore. My parents did not believe that a girl needed to learn to cycle. They were both from small towns. Most of our neighborhood kids either already knew how to cycle or were learning to do so, and both my sisters wanted to learn. Every evening, they would plead with my mom to get them a cycle or give them some money to hire one, so they could try and learn on their own. They tried to convince my mom, saying that all the other children were cycling to school while they did not even know how to ride one. My mom finally gave in. When she told my dad, he did not want to buy a cycle as he did not have the time to run behind the girls and teach them.

We had a man-friday in our house called Nanjappa, who ran errands and did other odd jobs around the house. My mom told Nanjappa to hire a cycle every evening and teach my sisters. Both girls were very happy and excited.

So, at the allotted time, Nanjappa hired a cycle and told my sisters to hop on one-at-a time. He would then hold the cycle and tell them, “Midhi, hogu, mundhe nodu” which means pedal, go and look in front. He would say it as a rhyme like “miiiiiiiidhi, hooooooogu, mundhe nodu” and keep repeating it all the way, non-stop. Soon, all the children in the locality picked up this chant. They would run behind my sisters and Nanjappa chanting this. It became so popular that whenever anyone saw my sisters on the road (even while they were walking), they would chant this mantra.:banana:

After a week of this, my sisters were so embarrassed that they shunned Nanjappa from coming to teach them. :nono:Instead they would hire the cycle themselves and learnt to balance on their own.

When anyone in my family thinks of cycling, the first thing that comes to our mind is Nanjappa and his chant. Some of our childhood friends probably still remember it too!!!

Some things are hard to forget and are best not-forgotten.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed your humerous write up. Glad to know finally they learnt to ride a cycle

3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha too good n welcome here now just keep writing - write hogu mundhe nodu :)

umaakumar likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice write-up and nice manthra too. . We learnt to do monkey pedal first and then monkey tricks with hour-cycle. After our streets became resting place for lots of cows and buffalos I gave up cycling :tongue:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    kaniths and Rihana like this.
  5. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Thank you Viji Ma'am for your first reply. I am happy you enjoyed reading it.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. Pickle

Pickle Silver IL'ite

Nice, felt good to read and reminiscent of days I tried to learn bicycling with a second handed BSA champ and hour cycles of course during summer school holidays ignoring all the heat and sweats of the weather, the josh of all that! Thank you for sharing the story and the sweet flashback memories this post gives.

umaakumar likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@umaakumar
    That was quite humorous when bystanders notice at earshot as sisters practice with nanjappa & use it later whenever they happen to walk across!

Thanks and Regards.

umaakumar likes this.