1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The art of right living

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The prophets who lived among us set up religions for documenting how to lead an ideal and purposeful life. A handful of the followers of the religion understood and assimilated the best practices proposed in the religion and practiced them. Many of us only use the religion as a category that we belong without seriously studying the teachings in order to be a true follower of the religion. A handful of people are blasphemous by interpreting the teachings wrongly or use it for personal benefit by setting up financial trusts, ashrams, religious centers and cause ambivalence within each religion. They conduct their life in contentious manner much against the teachings of the religion exempting themselves from best practices for right living. This is the reason for many remaining far away from the religions losing hope and faith in the fundamental teachings of the religion.

But this post is not to exalt the religions of this world as I am of the opinion that right living does not belong to anyone religion or prophet or human being. Historically, noble men were born and raised in this world in every part of the world and they are knowledgeable about the risks associated with life and liberty of human beings. They help the suffering human beings from the turmoil that they face in their lives. I can list n number of people who had been here and done that but I chose to select a few who set up standards on right living throughout their life span. The order below does not necessarily indicate the importance of each person but it is organized by their end of life.

My first hero is Mahatma Gandhi. Being a barrister at law fighting apartheid in South Africa, he became a world renowned personality by his simplicity, commitment to his principles and courage to fight for the rights. He had to forego his personal life and growth in order to fight for the freedom of India. But even after 65 years of his death, his philosophy of non-violence is much talked about throughout the world. He had not come to establish himself as a prophet but his deeds established him as the most revered personality.

My next favorite hero is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He noticed that African American children born and raised in the US were considered citizens of lower class, African Americans having no power to vote and were being segregated in every part of the country. He was not satisfied with his educational excellence to prove the capability of African American community but dedicated his life for the civil rights and eventually succeeded. His practice of non-violence was modeled after Mahatma Gandhi’s philosophy. He is the most respected leader in the US who lives in the hearts of every American irrespective of the race.

For someone to come from a different country and dedicate her life for the welfare of people suffering from leprosy, a disease that was considered contagious is stunning. Mother Teressa touched the bodies suffering from leprosy and thereby touching the heart of many around the world. She led her life by example and demonstrated that all are created equal in the eyes of the creator. She showed that we have an obligation to love every being in this world. Again she did not create a cult but her memories will live much longer.

Lastly, let me talk about my favorite leader Nelson Mandela. He defined the art of walking from selfishness to selflessness. He spent 28 years in jail for speaking on behalf of the oppressed in order to fight the apartheid in South Africa. He did not attend many funerals of his kith and kin and silently mourned inside his cell. He brought awareness on both sides of the aisle to make a change. Eventually, he became the most respected leader of the nation. He taught the oppressed how to practice forgiveness and integrated every race into one integrated nation. He died last week but his memories will live forever. I am personally very proud that I lived at the same time as Madiba.

Did they all accomplish so much because of the religion that they practiced? Of course, not. They set their own standards of right living. They set their own goals to achieve for the benefit of their fellow beings. Religion is needed only for the ignorant and if we are willing to gain knowledge about right living on our own, we can truly dispense with all religions in the world. A united world that practices right living can truly become a free world.

7 people like this.

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Viswa, I didn't think it was possible for me to be even more impressed with your thinking and writing than I already was, but this latest post has proved otherwise.

No doubt you will ruffle feathers with some of your claims. Religion is one of those "sacred cows" that many people find hard to question or think about critically. Worse than that, the "godfree" among us are automatically assumed to be values-free, too.

But I think you have made a very important point - religion has no monopoly over ethically- and morally-sound living.

“One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is really very simple and doesn't require religion at all.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

5 people like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

i agree with u, they did all the good they could, without using religion. And all the persons u named, all were great people, who were great human beings, regardless of caste or creed.

I am one of those, who does not beleive in temples and babas and religion, i beleive in humanity, relgions cause so many wars.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Ansuya,

I was so very happy to see you as the first respondent to this post. It is very kind of you to say such words about me.

Yes. I could ruffle some feathers. It is true for someone who is practicing right living, the religion has no value. Honestly, the religion is only needed for those who are ignorant. When Adi Sankara sang,

"Bhaja Govindam Bhaja Govindam
    Govindam Bhaje Mudamathe"

he meant, "Please say the name of Govinda several times a day fools". Namasmarana or repeating the name of the Lord is suggested as only salvation for the ignorant. It is my humble opinion that most religions suggest the followers to inquire about each and every aspect of the teachings, understand and then practice it. Perhaps, the founders knew that their words would be misinterpreted by a set of people.

Character building should be the outcome of every human being who educate himself/herself. What is the point in saying the name of the Lord and do all kinds of activities that are not conducive to the welfare of the humanity? Therefore, assuming worshiping God as the only way to have values is wrong. One has to practice values and serve the people in need to deserve his/her existence. It is my humble opinion that the Universal Absolute does not expect everyone to worship him but he expects everyone to lead an ideal and purposeful life.

Thank you for sharing the quote of Aruther Clarke.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

After posting this, I realized that I picked most revered from Asia, Europe, America and Africa which gave me an impression that noble values can come from anywhere and there is no need for someone to be born and live in a holy land. They all did not teach their values to others by quoting the religion but by practicing them.

Whenever I hear the words in the Colonial Brothers' song sung by Hariharahan
    "Religion is the region, the world is falling apart into pieces", I put my head down in shame. Fighting in the name of the religion is the worst thing one can do to his/her own religion. Honestly, those who fight in the name of the religion, actually use the religion to unite people to fight than believing in the sacred teachings of the religion.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

That was so well said. The only true religion is that of humanity. The examples you have quoted are those of people who were sent down to earth for a special purpose and HOW they served that purpose!!!

One more example that comes to mind - even if it be more controversial and the person involved was a diva of sorts - I cannot help think of Princess Diana. No matter what anyone thinks, I really marvel at the genuine attempt she made to get out of the ivory towers of Buckingham and Kensington palaces to connect with people, and the work she put in to bring about awareness about AIDS. She broke so many protocols - many of them to come down to the level of the hoi polloi - making her own life within her own domestic arena a miserable one. It could not have been easier for her to sit within the palace walls, come out occasionally and wave her hand out to the public only to vanish behind the walls once again. The number of charities she personally involved herself with was also pretty impressive.

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Thank you for your response to this post. I am a big fan of Diana too thanks to my wife who is a big fan of reading anything and everything about the Royal family in England. I happened to read some of the books she read about Diana. I was very impressed with her simplicity, unchanged attitude even after becoming the Princess to mingle so easily with people in need, her visit to Africa to help children in need, her involvement in so many charities, unassuming behavior in talking to ordinary citizens, her ability to fight back to demand her freedom within the royal family, etc.

She is a definitely one woman force to draw inspiration from. We were in Miami after returning from Florida Keys when we heard the bad news about her death in a car accident in Paris. My wife and I did not sleep all night and watched her life stories in TV. What a tragic end to a noble person.

Viswa

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir
    A fabulous article sir.
    You have aptly covered all the great minds whom I too adore.
    While I was in school we had to read a book on the "sixth race". It was bout those who dedicated their lives for the betterment of others.
    I admire all those you mentioned and there are still more of them - two other men I could think of are Subramani Bharathi, and Albert Schweitzer.

You and others have said all there is to say about these great souls. Thank you for the homage to Nelson Mandela.

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Kamala,

Thank you for your wonderful response. I am so glad to know that you adore each one of them as much as I do. It is so interesting to know that you had a book "sixth race" in the school to study about contributors to the humanity. What an apt name and I truly believe that they are a class/race of their own.

Subramania Bharathi - How can someone write poems, lyrics of which would come alive after several decades? He can motivate millions by a stroke of his pen very easily.

Albert Schweitzer - He is a role model for philosophers to not only teach the principles of right living but practice them by contributing to the humanity. Without any questions, he belongs to the hall of fame of the best contributors in the world.

I know I missed too many people. There are silent contributors like M.S.Amma who had done world of good to many people without anyone's knowledge. While all of us are spellbound by her contribution to the music, she silently served the humanity with no one knowing about it.

There is no doubt that Madiba's contribution melt my heart. He is the ultimate soul to learn selflessness, sacrifice and forgiveness.

Viswa