1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Art of Listening

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 5, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Rinnnnnnnnnng…….Rinnnnnnnnnngggggggg! She hurried out of the bathroom swathing a huge towel around her. It had rung 13 times and after a brief pause started again. She wondered if it was her husband. Was it an emergency? He wouldn’t call otherwise at that time. She picked up the phone and said ‘Hello.’
    “Hello…where have you been? I have been calling for the past ten minutes…was about to hang up…Anyway, guess what? I am just not feeling well today…Feel drained out. My girls are driving me up the wall. The elder one has to be taken for tuitions and the younger one insists on accompanying me all the time...Yesterday I had to walk all the way to the tuition teacher’s house as I didn’t know where I had left the car keys…Thank God the teacher lives nearby…but you know what? I have a good mind to change the teacher…she is not teaching, yaar… We pay so much, you know Dhs.200 for just two days a week… I wish I could start some tuitions…I can mint money…no? Like my Fufaaji’s daughter …You know her, no? Parul…though she is called Paro because uncle was a fan of Devdas… and has named all his children after the characters in the novel…and I have been told by Sadhanaunty that he was quite a Devdas in his younger days…now what was I saying? Yeah…Paro is the university gold medalist in Maths…and she was working for that college from where Narendar has done his degree…Narendar...that director yaar… He and Paro were batchmates…though he did Literature and was quite a Romeo in his college days…Even been after Paro…but she is not that kind of a girl…that’s what Fufaaji says… Like I was saying Paro was working for the same college from where she took her MSc…and was working and then she realized it is better to take tuitions for the IIT candidtaes… and she has these 4 batches everyday…and earns in tens of thousands…you know… Not that she needs money…their family is the richest in Calcutta…what I am saying is that we are idiots yaar, wasting our talents like this instead of taking tuitions…and yeah…talking of tuitions…I had to walk all the way yesterday with my daughter…and the little one kept pestering me to go to the bookshop and get her Archies Comics…what is wrong with today’s children yaar?…they’ll read anything but their text books…And…(ting... tong!)…array yaar, chalo…somebody is at the door… Let me go… Click! Beep…beep…beep…
    She looked at the water that had dripped all over the floor, in impotent rage… So much for the art of listening!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
    sindmani likes this.

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi twinsmom,
    Such a realistic post that was. I have experienced the same with many people I know. Truly it is an art to weep, groan and moan to someone, when done just hang up without even wondering whether they were busy or even maybe unwell.
    Thoughtless, absolutely uncivilised attitude. I have felt like use and throw after such a converstaions, which do not allow you to speak even a word in between.
    Iam over and done with my outpouring of grief. Shakkiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggggg wih rage at the memory of such monologues!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :evil: :icon_frown:

sindmani likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom
    Under similar and excruciating circumstances, I have so far smashed 17 telephone instruments against the wall!
    Sri

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Next time let me know when u ar going to smash, i will come and take it and go, so that u can save ur energy......

Veda

5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi Twinsmom,

Great narration...... Thank GOD, i didnt face any such situations...... though i like to keep talking over the phone.......

Veda

sindmani likes this.
  6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Janani,
    This is a page from my life... and guess what... it still happens every single day... And I just don't know how to tackle it! last 6 years... I have been going through something like this almost everyday! I sometimes kick myself for my inablity to tell the person concerned... May be I kanow she'll hurt, if I tell her...
    it makes all kinds to make this world...

sindmani likes this.
  7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    Wish I could ... I don't even grind my teeth in desperation! Let me see till when...
    Hi Veda,

Hahahaha... save the instrument from getting broken.... not Sri's eardrums...eh?:mrgreen:

8. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi twinsmom
    Lovely post.. brought back fond memories.pardon me for a mild digression here,but I had to write :wink:

My sis and I have the same voice...:) ,it's difficult to differentiate between our voices especially when it's a telephone conversation. Our parents themselves get confused even to this day when they receive a STD call from one of us.:tongue
    I once happened to attend her friend's call when she was away and the girl at the other end began in full spirits.. even without a pause to let me identify myself. I was caught for close to 5mins till my sis returned.

This girl was explaining the way she attempted to solve an accountancy problem,how she got stuck mid way through and was asking how to get it right.:evil: What would I know? I am a pure science graduate.:bangcomp:

sindmani likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi twinsmom,

Will you believe i have days when i my ear is buzzing for hours...listening to just what you have put... I am thankful to god for small mercies as cordless...otherwise imagine..no lunch..no uniform for the kids....All because i am supposed to be a good listener....

sindmani likes this.
  10. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI everyone,
    I half expected the call to be a wrong number...arre wot diff it makes..the caller did his job of getting garbage out of his system..wot diff..no answer was really expected:evil: ...in such situations it is best to keep receiver away from ear..no emotional drainage:wink: ..everybody is happy..