1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Advent Of Abusive/swearing Words

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 23, 2022.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The advent of abusive/swearing words

I was just wondering when and who might have started abusive words. Tried but google was of no great help. As far as I know, Darwin did not even mention them in any of his books, though he might have used some of these words. It looks like it all started from the very beginning of the creation. Humans started showing their anger or dislike in resentful tones and words for each other.

Then, I came across a book, with a list of insulting words Shakespeare used in his plays. Some of them are here.

Shakespearean Insults

Bald plated - Bald man

Artless -Foolish

Baggage- Characterless woman

Bed pressure- Lazy

Boiled brains- Hot-headed

Blockhead- Dumb

Coldblooded- Heartless

Deceptions- Deceitful

Fawning- Sycophant

Plumpy- Fat

Reeky- Foul-smelling

Eye offending- Eyesore

It is not clear if these words were coined by Shakespeare or were in use already. In any case, I guess no one would like to take ownership of such words. However, with time, more words were invented, with still more wickedness and hatred and punch. It somehow turned into a competition sort as to who could come up with new and more abusive words. Our stand-up comedians, film script writers, and me too groups in different languages added their own.

It did not stop with dogs, asses, or pigs. It went on and on and started including mothers, sisters, and daughters. Now we have social media like Twitter, Facebook, and others including some google groups. Some age-old lovely words like Pappu are now an abuse. I do not think, any parent would like to name their newborn kid son Pappu.

Some guys, and best friends at that, use them to tease each other.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Abusive swearing words contribute to national integration. Once I was taking a stroll in the rural areas of Cuddalore Tamil Nadu when I heard someone using the famous MC swearword and almost shed tears of joy realizing that such abusive terms are bridging the gap between north and south. Also what is abuse in one place is a term of endearment elsewhere. Like in Delhi the BC or Saala could be a way of showing affection between friends Once a friend of mine used the BC term in Rajasthan to a shopkeeper boit knowing that in the backwaters of India the term is taken literally and almost got lynched.

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Correct. When in college, we used to address our friends like that BK, Ch...ya. Our English professor told us to have good relations but absorb decency. In the north, some words are commonly used whereas in other places, they are considered abuses.
    These days, thanks to social media on the internet, there is a great innovation in abusive language.