1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

The 70-Day Declutter / Organize your Home & Life Challenge

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by kashvya, Oct 22, 2013.

1. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

srama , your baskets are awesome! i really liked this idea but with all the dust we get , i keep my books in glass shelves only:( but i will get one basket to keep magazine and baby's books:)

1 person likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

kashvya,

I hear you and the terrible twos phase. Well that should tell you that mine are a little more grown up and we are going through the phase of "Put things where they belong!" phase. Even though it does not get done diligently it is my secret hope that I am imparting something to the kids and so even though I am not angry putting their stuff away, I make it a point to act irritated and mumble so that they hear me and start helping around!

Thank you cutemonster!
    Magazines and baby books sound like such a nice idea and perhaps you can keep your news papers too. For me keeping in baskets helps me keep sane with the books I am reading instead of wondering where I read last and left!

Day 5 : With DS' help :yes: cleaned up all the paper school and Origami that was lying around in his room. Amazing what some 20mins of decluttering can do. I have told him that every time I see his room in disarray, I am going to seek his help :)

2 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am sure that clean laptop table is already bringing that smile back on your face! You are keepoing us on our toes with your updates kash! Keep it going!

This right here brought a smile on my face and do you know why?
    Every day with out fail one of the sentences I repeat as I clean the house is "If there is surface, there is stuff! Guys when will you start to keep it clean" to rolling eyes, raised eyebrows and scampering feet to clean up! In fact for the longest time, I had removed the center table. My kitchen counter is pretty clean and guess what I have a very narrow laptop table....I know Oxymoron a table for a lap top? Well long story short, I was irritated with DH sitting in the corner of the couch, logging into work right in the family room, wanting to be part of whats happening in the house. The day I heard a whimper of "I wonder why my back hurts" a table was set up. Since it is in a place where we have friends and neighbors walking in and out, it had to be just sufficient to hold the comp. That decision has helped now because kids also can be on the comp where we can see them all the time.

Sorry to go off the topic. For me personally, an organized home should also be very practical....so :)

Cutemonster mention of dresser makes me want to go :bonkand :hide: but right now "out of sight, out of mind" is helping me! Speaking of dressers, not to promote but I had made this bangle stand for me and DD and that is still serving me well http://www.indusladies.com/forums/creative-crafts/162756-bangle-stand.html but is crying out loud to be sorted! Next time Cutemonster, next time.....I will get there! Thank you for reminding of that so needed yet can be so unsorted area!

1 person likes this.
  4. Frontier

Frontier Silver IL'ite

You should post pics of your living area. Love to see how it is organised

5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Wow great tips and ideas.
    I cleaned some of my kitchen closets...threw out all the old masalas, washed all those glass bottles and put them away. Bought some new containers to stack some stuff that didnt have the appropriate size box, labelled them nicely. All the jars have labels now...even chilli powder, turmeric etc All the items that were in small open packets got some home to live in and excess was just thrown. No more packets! Just the unopened couple of sweet mix packets..that's it. Cleaned the fridge and threw the expired stuff. Some masalas were not expired but just lying around..just threw them!
    Everyone must be thinking I'm mad to be excited about this but what to do...haven't done this in a long long time!
    I still have couple more shelves to go...

2 people like this.
  6. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

that is one of the 2 rooms i de-clutter daily.. the other is living room, i sort it out daily, by afternoon, everything is a mess again.. [​IMG]

i have 3 kids, and not to forget my DH..

as for rest of the rooms, oh,well!!! lemme not spoil my image here..[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

was updating yest, when the site closed..

so 2 days update now...

yest.. sorted DH's wardrobe..

today.. sorted the pantry.. and cleaned the kitchen counter.

2 people like this.
  8. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread and i will participate from 5 th nov, after diwali
    On reading all your post i made some plan and even prepared a weekly(week days) time table for cleaning and decluttering yesterday night. planning to follow that.
    I got some nice ideas from this thread and thanks for sharing your ideas...

2 people like this.
  9. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Cleaned the shoe rack today. Threw away many of the old shoes and slippers of my family. Before doing this I have to create a scene yesterday to bring this to the notice of my DH and DD as they got more collections of foot wear than my DS and me. Truly I am fed up of arranging them everyday during busy hours in the morning the moment the maid arrives for cleaning.
    Washed and cleaned an old shoe stand and placed it in my daughters room balcony separately for her so she can mess up as she wish and it would be easy for me to arrange for her once in a while.
    I am very slow in doing things and believe slow and steady wins the race.:thumbsup

3 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Day 6 not much from my side. Just sorted out DS' clothes to bring the winter clothing out and putting away the summer ones for he doesnot care and wears whatever comes out when he pulls his clothes :-(

I am afraid ladies, this week will be busy cleaning and getting ready for the festival. Will try and keep 10mins at least for decluttering!

Welcome to the new members and great going every one else!

1 person likes this.