1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The 2015 IL Book Lovers Readathon Contest

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Jan 14, 2015.

Pick the Contest Books

Poll closed Jan 24, 2015.
  1. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Sidharatha by Hermann Hesse

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  4. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. The Innocent Man by John Grisham

26 vote(s)
    83.9%
  6. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  8. The 39 steps by John Buchan

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  9. Animal farm by George Orwell

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  10. Angela's Ashes by Frankk McCourt

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. saktips

saktips Gold IL'ite

Finished reading the book.

2. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

All the best to participants :) ;-) :) ;-) ;-)
    Regards,
    Sahana

3. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

hi priyasrini
    still no way to get the book .. but hv told my son to see if he can download it (he stays in chennai and has a much better config lappie) ... and send it to me :) ... hope to read it soon ... this is the first book i cudnt download .. but am nt giving up ... :)

4. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

5. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

oops! forgot to post that I have completed the book yesterday.. :hide:

1 person likes this.
  6. PriyaSrini

The Innocent Man by John Grisham, this book has been an interesting and a challenging read for me. Interesting? Well the style of writing, how the facts and details have been presented were good. A non fiction that had me wishing, "it cannot be true". Challenging? Again it's the facts and details, there is so much details and characters in this book that it was sometimes hard to keep track.

And this :)hide:) is the excuse for my delay in posting the questions for the final week of the contest. I kinda feel like setting a paper for a school test.

But the job needs to be done, so here is the final set of questions. I will extend the deadline to PM the replies to Tuesday, March 3rd.

1. What ought to be depressing has been celebrated. What event has been described as Ada's proudest moment?
    2. What proof does Jaunita have that on the night of December 7th, her son Ron was home?
    3. Dr. Foster notices three general themes in Ron's maniacal screaming, what are they?
    4. Despite the torments, false accusations and even the unjust verdict, Dennis Fritz never gives up? What could have been the consequence if he too had given "a dream confession"?
    5. Why do you think Dennis Smith and Gary Rogers were hell bent on accusing Ron Williamson as the murderer?

7. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

I just started reading this book :)
    Hoping to read 24 books this year - 12 fiction and 12 non-fiction. At least I have a start now, hope to join you all in a book club.

1 person likes this.
  8. PriyaSrini

We have crossed the finish line, the Readathon contest is now officially closed. While we await the results, please take a min to share your comments/ opinions on this contest.

Would you like to have this as an annual event at IL? Were the number of books too many? Was a week's time too short? The choice of books.

Any feedback you have please post it here. This feedback is open to all IL, participants and non participants of the contest.

Tagging @Kishw @dvl @chillbreeze @SRK @RamyaVaradharajan @Tavishi25 @madhuprabha @Laks09 @deepslikes @helpmeangel @saktips @Indhradhanu @jingi92

3 people like this.
  9. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

@priyasrini

I loved the concept of the Readathon and felt a great satisfaction once the last of the quizzes were answered.

To your questions, 1. Yes, this should be an annual or a semi annual event in IL. 2. A week's time was pretty decent for a voracious reader. But we cannot predict unforeseen circumstances when our reading may be delayed. So a min of 10 days to a max of two weeks,will make us enjoy the book better. 3. I liked the chosen books and loved reading all of them.

We can also have a cut off date for reading and answering questions..also have a day or two alloted for discussions on the book. We can talk about it while it is still fresh on our minds.
    All in all, a wonderful event.. :) Kudos to you and Deepa.:hatsoff

10. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya, readathon was really a nice concept and the choice of books were varied and interesting.

I would love to have this as an annual (or semi annual as HMA said) event so that I can participate next time and get to read more books. I feel if we could reduce the number of books to 4 and increase the reading time, say 10 days, it would encourage more people to participate. This is from my personal experience because of which I couldn't participate actively in this readathon.