1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The ‘75 Hard’ Challenge

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Gauri03, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

It is very nice to see everyone posting your daily updates. you all are doing great! I couldn’t make achieve anything substantial in terms of my weight loss and I was wondering if I will do better if I get a weightless partner. Now I got much more than that
    I have some questions and please bear with me. I am trying to come up with my goals that are sustainable and something that will become a lifestyle change eventually.
    During the recent times I lost some weight. But it came to a plateau and is simply not enough. My tummy did not reduce even by 1mm. I realize that I have to create a calorie deficit. How do we know how much calories we need to intake to create a deficit? I can measure the calories burnt during workout. But what about the other times?
    @Gauri03 - how did you come up with 1400 calories? Do you use any app for calorie tracking and carb counting? It is amazing to me that you managed to take 1400 calories with less than 100 grams of carb. Not to forget the 2-time 45 min workout sessions per day. You are awesome! I clearly am not doing enough. Not wonder I didn’t lose much weight. If it is not a lot to ask, when you get a chance do you mind sharing your meal plan so that I get an idea?

Gauri03 and Srama like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Gauri03, I have always wondered about your calorie count and admired you for it. I oculdn't for the lilfe of me count calories or fast. With IF, it somehow seems easy - a week or 10 days into, your body tells you not to eat. It is amazing actualy how little we need :) I hope you like it. Though I didn't have a weight loss goal, I dropped 10 pounds easily and the best part is how good and light I feel. I am not a follower of rules but I like the feeling of being in control. IF somehow hoodwinks me into thinking that I can do all I want except between 8 and 12 :) Works for me and so taking advantage of that!

@Sandhya13 , Welcome! If you want to try IF, we are all here :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Anusha2917, Gauri03 and Sandhya13 like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

12th Jun

· Take a progress photo -- done
    · 45-minute workout – 1.5 hr walk + 1.5 hour yoga
    · Drink 2L of water – done
    · Read 10 pages – done The Mystery of Periodic Table
    · Follow a diet program – > 15 hrs
    · Chanting – Min 15 min >25 mins

Ignore my exerciseroutine for the weekend, thanks to all teh zoom teaching I do for yoga, it simply adds up! I feel exhausted over the weekends and nap:sleep: well :biggrin:

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@Srama thank you! wow you lost 10 pounds by IF. That’s great. I tried IF before but may be I did not stay consistent till my body adjusts to the new routine. Because I felt tired and slightly giddy at the end of the day while I was IF. My kids are 6 and 2 and demand a lot of time and attention from me. I tried 12 hours window before. I get so tired at the end of the day when I do IF >12h and finally end up eating something before bed. I am going to try again and see.

Srama likes this.
  5. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I read about calorie deficit online. Based on my age gender weight Height and activity level, I roughly burn 1900 calories a day. 500 calorie deficit seems to be very reasonable. So that leaves me with same target as you @Gauri03 which is 1400 calories a day. I just need some help with low carb meal plan.

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Great! I will share some of my day’s meal plans with you to give you an idea of what I eat and how much. Right now I try to eat moderate carbs for breakfast and dinner, and a very low carb lunch. Despite that 100 gms is proving to be a struggle. I am going to modify that to 150 gms for this week and see how that works out. I use MyFitnessPal to log my daily intake.

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast - 1/2 cup cooked oats with walnuts and half a banana, tea without sugar(~350 cals),

mid morning - green tea, clementine

Lunch - Veggie salad (lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, pickled jalapeños, pickled onions with feta cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper), Two boiled eggs on the side. (~400 cals)

Midafternoon - coffee

Dinner: 1/2 cup spinach dal, 1/2 cup aloo gobhi sabzi, 1 ragi roti, carrots and cucumbers, 1/2 glass of kefir with mint & ginger (~400)

I was well below my calorie goal (~1200) but didn’t meet the carb goal (~140). Lunch was only 3 gms of carbs but dinner was about 60 gms. I plan to keep experimenting with the meals to find my sweet spot. I’ll keep sharing my meals if it helps you plan better.

Kohvachn, Anusha2917, Srama and 2 others like this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Typically 1pm to 9 pm (if I can by 7 pm) I am trying to change it to 9am-3pm but with work it is hard to be consistent.

I am almost 50, and find 16 hrs is maintenance mode for me - for weight loss I need to do 18-19 hrs and low carb(80-100g) and increasing fat. I started last year on and off in firs two months before moving to 16 hrs for another two months- weight loss zilch. Only when I moved to 18-19 hours I saw the scales move. I lost about 10 pounds , now weight loss is no longer my objective. The NSVs of IF I experienced - I rarely feel bloated. And my plantar fasciitis is gone. And best part - 2 inches off my waist So I continue with IF as a way of life.

Yes I need to get started on Kefir.
    Ladies, any other sources of Probiotics, please suggest . I started making my sauerkraut and have that occasionally. And having yoghurt more often.

The problem with low carb diet for me is that I really have to reduce fruits. There only so much of blueberry and gauva I can eat :-(

Please share your meals when you can, looking for ideas.

Sandhya13, Anusha2917, Srama and 2 others like this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I am restarting my 75 hard .

I forgot too take pictures and read the past 4 days , didnt go out for 1 day. I also did an extended fast this week end after a long time, it helps me reset my cravings, feeling great.

My new goal-
    • Two 45 minute workouts – keeping it to two different workouts as far as possible unless I go hiking
    • No Sweet.
    • Follow a diet program – Min 15 hrs IF
    • 15 mins meditation/pranayama
    • Update here at least once every 2 days

I will take progress photos once every 4 days
    @Gauri03 , your suggestion of getting some workout doen in the morning is working well, not a morning person, bit trying to be. Wil try to keep it to is as far as possible.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Sandhya13, Anusha2917, Srama and 2 others like this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

June 12:
    • Take a progress photo — Done
    • Rowing - 46 minutes, Walk - 63 minutes
    • 3L water — 3.6 L Done
    • Reading — The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
    • Caloric intake ~1200 cals, carbs ~134 gms
    • Meditation — 15 minutes
    June 13:
    • Take a progress photo — Done
    • Hike - 115 minutes
    • 3L water — Done
    • Reading — The Economist
    • Caloric intake ~ ? cals,
    • Meditation — 20 minutes
    I blew my calorie limit today. Didn’t count and don’t even want to know by how much. Neighbor invited us to a backyard social and that was that. Also didn’t do two separate workouts. Had planned some yoga for the evening but couldn’t make myself do it. Starting again tomorrow.

Change in rules:
    • Diet - <1400 cals and IF eating window 10am-6pm (Will phase out the calorie counting by the end of challenge)
    • A 90+ minute hike or bike ride counts as both workouts for the day.
    @SunPa You’ve got company. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

@Gauri03 You have no idea how happy I am to see this thread! I need to cultivate some 'mental discipline' too and lose much weight. I will think of some goals and join from tomorrow.

Sandhya13, Kohvachn, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.