That Stupid Fairness Cream

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chinni86, May 10, 2011.

1. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

A nice thread. A few lines...

Oh God, give us the strength to be fair
    In outlook, not in outer look
    And In demeanor, not in skin colour
    For skin colour is a function of Melanin,
    Just like Hair strength is of Keratin
    Having colonized by the west, we associate beauty with shade of full white,
    But not all things shining are as bright
    There are shades of all colours of nature in the Earth and the Moon
    Otherwise if it were only white, we would be blinded by reflected light at Noon
    Judging a person based on skin shade,
    Will leave you truly dismayed
    As character is based on body and mind and heart and soul
    Being fair in behaviour should be your true goal
    Do you duty and be fair in all things, said the blue skinned Ram
    So said to Arjun, the dearest to Radha and Rukmini, the dark lord Shyam

2. saranethra

saranethra New IL'ite

Actually see down,this website itself advertisin for olay.Its not ryt place to discuss this issue then.And I too used some products of olay,pond..not to improve colour but escape 4m hot sun..but no use at all...only that i got is too many pimples...
    Atleast whoever havin pimples dont use this kind of things....:bonk

3. shashwathi

shashwathi New IL'ite

I would then assume that if any of you have a son,you wont mind him marrying/or that you will find a dark skinned girl for him.
    MMMMMM Really?
    It is so easy to say these things but the problem is no one follows it.A girl has to be superlative-when I grew up I dont think I was even aware I had teeth-leave alone whether it was straight,crooked,white etc.I brushed it int he morning and went to a doctor if it pained.But today I know each and every part of me piece by piece-hair,eyes,nose,SKIN,color,thickness,fatness,waist,no waist,legs etc....
    Oh what has the world come to...and the number of young ones walking around feeling like worms because they are /are not whatever

G

4. preetiedul

preetiedul New IL'ite

I can see why you are angry, but I doubt we can ever change the way these women / men think. Even if they accept that skin color is not important, deep within they will still be biased. But what can be definitely done is to BAN ALL ADVERTISEMENTS that promote such mentality. Remember those ads on Asian Sky Shop where the father is crying because his daughter is dark and not married ? How can you broadcast these adds on television? It completely blows my mind !

I remember a male friend of mine who said this, "I know skin color does not matter, but I am only attracted to fair women" ! Is it his personal preference or has he been brain washed into believing that only fair is beautiful ? Nobody, not even he himself will know the answer to that.

I do not know what advertisements run in India today, but I so hope they are not still broadcasting those pathetic adds :( When you are only an 8 and 10 year old child, you don't have the ability to distinguish marketing gimmicks from reality.

5. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

It is sad that we ladies encourage such attitudes. i have a friend who is very fair, but ugly, and she taunts her small 2 year old grand daughter , as " Karuppi". I was appalled. I had to yell at her. Actually , her husband ( the Grand father) is dark, and so is the son( father of the child). What do we say for this?

All mothers, let us all take a pledge and say , we will bring up our children without having color bias. Also , we have to stand up and tell people off , when they mention this bias.

6. Pavoreal

Pavoreal New IL'ite

It's been very interesting to read through this thread.

I'm an Irish American raised in the southern USA (and now married to a man from India). Therefore I am extremely, extremely pale (nobody says 'fair' where I'm from...only negative connotation words like 'pale,' 'pasty,' 'ghostlike' etc.). I grew up getting teased on a near daily basis for being too white. Mean comments that stuck with me through life (example - you would be pretty if you weren't so white and would get a tan, you look like Casper the ghost, etc.). I am not CAPABLE of getting a tan, even though I tried (fortunately by around age 15 I realized it was not going to happen so I stopped trying and tried to start accepting my skin color)...the things white girls do here to get dark are crazy. In spite of the threat of skin cancer, people lay for hours in the sun - my mom even used to do insane things like coating her body in a mixture of baby oil and red iodine and laying on the roof of her mother's house.

I guess my point is that everywhere in the world there are strange standards of beauty. It makes me sad that I spent half my life beating myself up over something I have no control over (being pale and freckled) and that so many women have beaten themselves up and gotten negative comments from relatives about being 'too dark.' I hope by the time I have kids that they can grow up in a world that doesn't place so much value on things that don't matter (skin tone, whether your hair is curly or straight, eye color, etc).

7. vgutierrez

vgutierrez New IL'ite

I am indian and I am fair skin. I think that dark skin is beautiful. Dark skin does not get wrinkle fast. I want all my babies to have dark skin. There are so many fair skin actresses that are ugle. I see pretty dark skinned women that are more pretty. I think we should be ashame to make our dark skinned people feel inferior because of the color of their skin. Not only that that fairness cream is harmful. I wish I was dark, because it is beautiful. We indians need to stand together and stop the hatered among us because of the color of our skin. Why cant we love each other.

8. QueenEyeCee

QueenEyeCee New IL'ite

I agree with you 100%, being that most of the planet Earth has been colonized by Europeans there has been this fascination to conform & submit to the oppressors standards of beauty & culture, as well as their conduct. Every people's of the planet Earth other than the European has melanin (color), but, in order to colonize, dominate and control these people's the seeds of doubt, inferiority and self-hatred had to be planted within them. To reject & deny yourself is to reject & deny your creator!!!

9. sukhdeep11

sukhdeep11 New IL'ite

Well, color of skin is and will always remain a matter of concern for humans. Fair is considered to be the beautiful............whatever the position of contors is. U can have anything fixed anywhere but u should be fair, then eveything becomes OK.
    Actually in our culture, black/ dark is considered as something bad / evil...moreover when a dark skin person is sitting among lighter/fairer ones then ofcourse the contrast is so visible......

10. DhanuD

DhanuD New IL'ite

I also completely agree with you.In a country like India more preference is given on color than on a good lovely soul.It's truly bad that people who are well educated also think the same like the ill-literates.Even I'm a bit dark but I'm very happy with my skin,atleast it is natural and not having a single ounch of these fairness products.