Thanksgiving Day Special Contest - Who would you like to thank? - Nov 2011

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetanju4uu

sweetanju4uu Bronze IL'ite

Thanksgiving day.. a day which is known worldwide, and celebrated as a way of thanking God for all that He has given unto Us. It symbolizes peace and harmony and people celebrate the day by feasting on the good luck Turkey with some home made pumpkin pie. What makes Thanksgiving so special in my life, you ask? Well, dear friends, read on to know, for I am sharing a glimpse of my world.

Thanksgiving 2007.. the year and month and day when I landed in US. The day I learned of Traffic signals, Super stores like Ralphs/Vons, Microwaves(yes, microwaves!), Dishwashers, Apartments and Leases and paying rent/utilities (electricity,gas,trash,water), Bus and Train Rides to Office, and above all the ways of the kind Americans.

I landed on a cold November morning in Los Angeles alone with two huge VIP Suitcases and two cabin bags on a trolley. I slowly but surely pushed the trolley out of the terminal into the ground transportation area, wide-eyed, almost gaping at the people and the atmosphere. I was in seventh heaven, not mindful of the cold wind biting at my ankles and finger tips and at my chest. I wanted to shout out aloud to the world "I have arrived America!" And it is all because of the Lord Almighty. My mom used to say that I dreamed big, even though being from a lower middle class family, where we had trouble to stretch my dad's pay check for the month and make ends meet. He made my dreams a reality and I literally bowed down and looked up at the sky with such joyous rapture on my face, close to serenity and ecstasy, all combined in one great moment of my own. It is my great moment and God had created it for me and I am there to enjoy it. I did not worry about my younger sister's wedding, my daddy's loans, savings for my wedding, my dream of a small home to call hers for my mom nor did I worry about my mom's diabetes or my dad's failing health. I was confident at that moment, that God is there for me, not far from me but at a hearing distance and He WILL find a way out for me,my family, and give me the strength to endure obstacles and give me the courage to bring myself and my family out of the life-long hardships faced by us.

This question does arise in my mind once in a while. Did I achieve all this, because I am intelligent or hard working? Or did my company who sent me here recognized my talents? I mean, whom am I kidding? God is the facilitator and He is so real and I thank Him from the bottom of my heart for every breath taken by me and my family. So for this Thanksgiving and every Thanksgiving henceforth, God will be the main part in our lives.

2. chweetchoyee

chweetchoyee Gold IL'ite

Saying Thank you to anybody is difficult sometimes but many times it shows gratitude towards other.
    What they did or doing to us sometimes makes a hell lot of difference.
    There might be people who might have helped us without any expectation or just out of love they have done it but they did what is good for us always…

Yes God might be the first person to be thanked but for me I thank my granny for making me so strong, always stood next to my sister and me. Even in toughest time she was worried about us than her own kids. It was hard for her to lose her daughter and fight for her grandkids. Giving best education, comfort and food even in very pathetic condition is what she did. I am today what she has made me. The best thing she thought me is – “Treat well even if it’s your enemy”. I am confident and independent and very much settled in my life and it’s only because of the care, affection, love and trust she is having on me. I am still the little princess for her. I have seen the photo of lady who gave birth to me but I see as my mother in my granny and that’s why I call her “amma”. I bow with all dedication, devotion and respect with folded hand to her. I thank her for what she did and doing for me.

In life there are few people who come along and stays forever. One such person is my fiancé, first time when he hold my hand he said – “I think I should marry you” till now he says to the same. Its too lucky to have someone who love you the way you are, yes sometime relationship needs changes but not with him. He love’s me like the way I am and always say – the most chweetest thing happened in my life. I don’t want to thank him for loving me but yes for spending the rest of his life with me. He is another person you really gave so much of support in my career and who always pushes me when I feel tiered, who always correct me like a guru and who always tolerate my tempers and sometimes correct them and makes me to understand the most difficult part to be humble. Sometimes you are too lucky you see..

The third would be myself. Yeah its sound damn weird right but yes. I thank myself for few things like…

I thank,
    - I saw the sacrifice my granny did to me.
    - I absorbed what my teacher preached me
    - I accepted my mistakes and corrected them
    - I realized importance of my existence through my loved ones
    - I am able to be humble because of my seniors
    - I am glad I overcame from all the obstacles I had in my life
    - I understood when my friends expected me to understand
    - All the occasions in my life made me to reciprocate in a positive way
    - I was never greedy or jealous for somebody and will ever be
    - I know what I am and I know who I am
    - I am able to respect myself before others
    - For being spiritual by heart rather showing off
    - That I try to make others laugh
    the list continues...

And last is my Lord Shiva for showing me the right path at right time and for never deceiving me but taking all the suffering I had and giving me such a wonderful life. Thank you shiva for making me to use the letter ‘I’ as you say.. “Aham Brahmasmi”. You are in me and I know that’s why I have become special to myself..

Love you shiva.

3 people like this.
  3. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Mom:

You may be surprised to hear the word "dear" from me because I never treated you the way you deserved. I never really cared for you. I have always taken you for granted. I used to take whatever I need from you, sometimes more than I need, without bothering about others who are counting on you.

You guided my formation in the womb, gave me life, and protected me. I was hungry, you gave me milk and food. I was thirsty, you gave me water. I was naked, you gave me clothes.

You are always entertaining all my senses with your everlasting beauty. You are a wonderful teacher. You taught be beauty, patience, persistence, adaptability, respect for all living things, selfless service, and death, If only I have keenly observed you, I would have gathered wisdom from you, which I am always searching outside.

You made this world a perfect place to live for, not too hot or too cold. You took so much care to create everything around me. The stars, the galaxies, mountains, waterfalls, rivers, different kinds of trees, flowers, insects, birds, animals, deep water species, etc. No two leaves or stones are looking the same. Everything is individually sculpted by you. You are exemplary model of balance.

The birds and animals spend all their lives adoring you. They do not worry about tomorrow and live for today. No bird builds two nests or bothers about next day's food and comfort always. But, me instead of conserving, preserving, and protecting you, spoiling you for my comforts.

Dear Ma Nature, give me the strength and power to be unselfish.

Thank you again Ma Nature for everything, evolution, life, air, food, water, sunshine, moonlight, raindrops, etc.

Yours Ever Loving
    Janani Natarajan

4 people like this.
  4. ushga

ushga New IL'ite

Re: Thanksgiving Day Special Contest - November 2011

At the outset I would like to thank profusely my Parents who are responsible for presenting these words of thanks. The teachers at the outset from the start of my school days till I graduated, made me knowledgeable toady to be what I am, for them my dedicated thanks. All these events happened in my life span with the grace of the Almighty who govern the Universe & who is solely responsible for all our happiness, sorrows & miracles that happened in our walk of life. The mother nature is yet another magic again created by God delivering things like Water, Fire, Vegetable, Fruits, Sun, Rain, Air etc., etc.,(including the Panja buthas) for the well being of the human kinds for which every living creature has to thank God for his thankless contributions. Life becomes complete for man or woman once he/she gets wedded and enjoying the children in our life, educating them, witnessing them grow and giving them in marriage are all joyful events in the life lane. I record my thanks for the life thus rendered to me through husband through children and through the experience I derive when I am growing old, is phenomena of the life. I am strong believer of Karma in which one would get a good life span in the next generation if he does good things in the present generation. I thank Supreme Lord Krishna on whom I bestow my full faith and thank him forever.

5. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

To the Supreme Soul

Who has given me the life to live in
    With the help two souls who had given birth to me
    Who has made me to grow up and
    who has thought me to how to live in this materialistic and karmic world

Without HIM, am not in this world...

HE IS THE ONE who has made all of us and created this beautiful world to LIVE in...

I will Thank only the supreme soul FIRST and all others NEXT for being with me

1 person likes this.
  6. ArabianDoll

ArabianDoll Senior IL'ite

Every human being is greatful to another in some or otherway and realising of the same is important.I would like to pay my tribute and thanks to jameel mama(uncle) who is an uncle not by blood but by virtues of dad's friendship. Right from my childhood jameel mama has done timely help in getting things done for us when we crave for without expecting anything in return.This includes right from borrowing gas cylinder from someone for us up to get an admission in IIT.He never gets tired of helping us.
    I particularly would like to mention now his major role in my marriage..jameel mama was the one who stood with my dad in all the ups and downs during my marriage preparations and events.A father's role is very important in a marriage and to make that father's role active and balanced was possible through jameel mama in my case.Even my own dad's brother failed to do so.My marriage took place in amidst of hectic situation that made me think that my dreams will be shattered.But jameel mama made it possible by being my dad's right hand in satisfying all that I desire and I wanted that will make my marriage complete and satisfying.So thank you jameelmama for the care and understandings.

7. Nishashiva

Nishashiva New IL'ite

I would like to thank my enemy in this opportunity because every time she cheated me or irritated me it will
    give me a boost and spirit to lead a better life before her.

8. sudhachandrasek

sudhachandrasek Bronze IL'ite

thanksgiving

I want to thank my hubby for all that He has done for me till now and will do for me hereafter!!!:)

9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Re: thanksgiving

You have created the warmth in my mom's womb when I was there..It is you who gave me the sunshine to open my eyes for the first time to see this colourful world..It is you who created the waves in my body to recognize and taste my mother's nipples ..it is you who gave me power to recognize my dear Dad and his Love for me..It is you again who created my wonderful teacher..It is you who created the wonderful elements of life-the water,the air and the fire without which I would not survive..It is you again who gave me the fabulous power-The LOVE..to win the hearts of human beings as well other species..Again it is you who gifted me the twilight of enjoying the most simple things around me..If I look at myself again it was you who gave me the charm and beauty...It is again you who created the nerves in my brain and twisted them to think differently..You have taught me the art of using you well!!

You gave me shelter..you gave me the science..you have created so many friends to me in this world but all I do is destroy you with the fire you gave.. kill my friends to beat my hunger..You gave me the power of reminding my old memories..you gave the fallen leaves....gave me grains..gave me rain drops..What not!!

You were always with me and being with me in my every move..One day I will leave my body and even then you will hold me tightly by burning yourself..Even my ashes don't mind burning your smooth skin..But I dint even find a minute to think about you..to care about you...We are not even caring our parents..Then no wonder that we don't even think about you...all we knew is to use you squeeze you and destroy you one day..You have given me everything I wanted but why didn't you teach me how to thank you?One day I will learn to thank each and every law of Nature by being kind to HER before I die..Else A day will arrive soon where in you lose your patience and erode the ashes of my ancestors..I love you Ma.. Believe me , I will care for you!!

-Mankind to Mother NATURE

I thank all the innumerable laws of Nature which created everything in front of me ..Thanks Dear Mother!!:bowdownI will show it more in my actions than my words..Believe me!!:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  10. sbsudha

sbsudha Senior IL'ite

Thanksgiving Day - Thanks for such a good topic.
    Like any other person, I would want to thank god, parents, teachers and people at work. These people do a lot to you and at many instances they take an extra step to make you feel special especially at difficult times. Thi is normal. They love us so they do.
    Beyond this my special Thanksgiving would be to those unknown faces who have made a difference in our daily life without an identity of face, caste or creed - Yes I am talking about friends /well wishers/acquaintances online.
    We meet so many people online daily, in most cases we just know their name, but when we have an issue, a problem and we are numb with the severity, our minds fail to think in the right direction. This is the time many of us post in a forum or msg to our chat friends.
    Within minutes we get so many replies, good, most useful or even a kind word to make us feel that we are not alone.
    Why? what have we done to get this love and kindness from unknown faces? This is unconditional/ overwhelming and absolutely awesome.
    Even if it were to handle a difficult child or cranky pet or a special dinner menu we need to plan. There comes a helping hand not one but many.
    We do take time to thank some but many times we forget to appreciate their time, effort.
    Yes I thank all those unknown friends and well wishers online around the world.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE MY FRIENDS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.