1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you, Shilpa !

Discussion in 'Movies' started by vidyasarada, Jan 22, 2007.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hi
    By now I think we all have Shilpa Shetty coming out of our ears. (Yes, I can hear you all groaning"oh no ,not here too !" )

The wild enthuisiasm with which the whole world and its aunt has pounced on the Big Brother's House, hungrily lapping up every shred of unsavoury detail about the silly incident is unbelievable. Even respectable mainstream media have gone tabloidy, giving up precious space to the so called controversy. Ministers, coloumnists, TV anchors, assorted celebrities, sundry sociologists and roadside romeos have all gone to town with opinions by the dozen about what Racism is ("pigment prejudice"), what Big Brother is ( gutterpress voyerism), what Shilpa Shetty is ( a shrewd manipulator), what Indians are ( closet racists) and where those hands have been to ( shhh).

Free advice is flying about like moths after rains. Kick out Jade, sack Big Brother, boo down Blair, step up Anti Racist activism, shut off T. V.

Such hullabaloo !
    Why this momentary madness ? My small voice says that we are all so fed up of news about hostilities, calamities, atrocities, tragedies, injustices, horror, scams etc. etc,and so starved are we for some respite that we gladly allow ourselves to go all out and gorge on this buttery popcorn . And we are feeling light. Arn't we actually ...............smiling ?

vidyasarada

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi VS
    We cannot forever live on potato curry and curd rice.
    We do need pop corn, if its buttered and masalafied, all the better ! And if the face selling that pop corn is shilpa shetty's, - slurp!slurp!- more of it please !
    Gutter-press or snob-press, news is news and it gives us the beaten-rice(aval) to chew the cud ( mella-fy).
    :)
    Manjula

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

The whole thing was so "blah" - yet another crazy episode in the long running soap opera titled "India meets the world"

One thing that did have me and the hubby in splits was the supposedly derogatory term "Poppadom" used by Jane Goody to insult Mme. Shetty.

You've got to give credit for the innumerable Indian restaurants ( one of the ubiquitous "Bombay palace " "Taste of India" " "Taj palace" ) for popularizing the humble "Papad" to the level where it can be used as an insult!