1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thamizh Pesa vendum

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Things, places and people are changing so rapidly its difficult to keep track most of the time. During my last trip to Coimbatore, where my inlaws lived, I happened to visit a few shops and place of businesses. One of the things that struck me most is that NO one really spoke Tamil. Most of the time people addressed you in English and expected a reply in English. When I did choose to speak in tamil, even my relatives, the response would be "ennanga neengal padicha vanga english illa pesama.......ah....!!!!!!!!!" That I was speechless is an understatement. I just dont get it. I do understand the need to converse in English but really! Everyone who is anyone talking only in English! I wonder if the vegetable grocery man and milk man have also changed. I could not test this because at our last residence we still had our old milk man, cleaning lady and vegetable man. I had always spoken in Tamil to them so they had always talked the same with me. But when we travelled to the marketplace really!!! What ever be the clothes I wear , places I visit , Nan Thamilz nattu penn!! Always and forever. Thamilz patru enrum irukku. Neengal enna Thamilz naada alla ayal nada? are you with me in thamizh or you some foreign born persona?

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Not just you but I too have felt the same. Being here in TamilNadu, right from my birth till date, I have been questioned by so many as to why I am not talking in English, being convent educated. But you know what when I am so angry and when I need to shout at someone especially when I need to argue strongly with someone, I prefer English so that I wont use very strong words.

I have also felt the same, enga irukom, Tamil Nada Veli Naada enru.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear AC,
    here i have a load of people who dont want to converse in english because they feel they may loose face, coming from bangalore and so many convent schools this has become our indian tongue as all are able to get across with this language yes my son in law makes up his mind then he would come out with thirukural and make my head go girugiru, so it happens but yes when u talk your language u r able to put across what u want in the right emotion not like english which though we have, somehow we are unable to express some sensitive emotion like,
    neenga yen yenakku yezhuda mattengiringa, in english why haven't you been writing or i have not received any letter from you, could sound rude to the reader...sunkan

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    It is the latest fashion... I have faced the brunt... They talk in some butler english... We have to respond in english only... They stop talking to u if you respond in tamil... hahahahahaha... Pagattu vazhkayum, mena minukki thanamum, indraya vazhkayin mukiya amsangalagum... It is because of the TV/Movie influence.... Some good.. some are bad... Slowly but steadily a language is taking over TN... Which we used to make fun in old movies... called thanglish...

5. Anandchitra

Dearest Rajmi
    You have written so well. Since we are convent educated demands are more. It stikes you more when you return after a leave of absence. Keep at it Girl You are our sitting representative.

6. Anandchitra

Dear Veda
    Only you could put in such words "Pagattu vazhkayum, mena minukki thanamum, ".. what do you do then? ISnt difficult to come across such kind of crossroads I feel its more prevalent in Tamil Nadu then even Northern states as I have lived there too and there the majority communicate in their local language Hindi only.

7. Anandchitra

Dear Sundari
    I was not aware of the situation that you have described in Bangalore schools which probably is the trend to go with. Its sweet when you say about your soninlaw's thirukural very interesting.

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    I too have stayed in Delhi for 2/3 years... I dont think, I am no differernt... From the scale of 1-10, I may be in 3,4... If You know what I do.... You will think... Is he the same person???

9. Anandchitra

Veda
    I dont understand what you are talking about. Sorry.

10. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

I had a completely different experience in Coimbatore where my in-laws live. I stayed there for a week after marriage last year & i only heard Tamil everywhere which made me feel so out of place & i felt so dumb when people spoke to me.

The neighbours were so friendly & would talk to me in Tamil & i would just keep smiling all the time. That's all i could do as nobody volunteered for a translation!!!

I remember years ago when i visited my aunt in Madras & she wanted me to run an errand for her at the local grocery. She gave me the exact amt i would need & made me learn what to ask for in Tamil....i repeated it so many times till i got it right & then headed to the shop. Can never forget that incident.

Ragini.