1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Terms of endearment !!! ;)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

“aji sunte ho” is a phrase that is hardly ever used today.. so when i heard it used by a neighbour when she called out to her husband..i was surprised. Wow, for seemingly modern woman, she was not calling her husband by name... i casually said the same to her... “how come you don’t call your husband by name.. “ the husband who was within earshot burst out laughing.. “haha..you are sadly mistaken...she meant AG sunte ho... AG is short form for “Abe Gadha”. :lol:

In earlier days men and women never addressed their spouses by name. It was always “bunty ki maa” or “chunu, munu ke papa” or the courtly “bhaagwaan sunti ho”.

My own parents would address each other with cute names and strange initials –although they were very careful not to use it in front of other relatives. Me and my sister as children would ask them what it meant and we would get only shy smiles from my mom and naughty grin from my dad.

I have pet names too for my DH and use it normally...but when i call out his full name loudly.. it means he is in trouble and he better drop everything and come right away... Old fashioned way of addressing one’s spouse did create distance and spoilt the chance of having a nice little yelling match when angry...all the fight would go out of us by the time we finish yelling “ramaswamy krishnamurthi ke papa” ;) :rant

In some families the parents address each other as “maa” and “paa” :roll: especially after the children come...so that the children also follow suit... and end up becoming each others ‘ parent :eek

Recently a man filed a petition in Mumbai high court claiming that his wife addressing him as “gonchu” and “bewakoof” (idiot) amounted to cruelty.... the judge rubbished it off saying that gonchu literally means – stupid but loveable and that in marriage one should not be sensitive to such things... (wonder what the judge was called by his wife :tongue:) If the relationship is cracking, a cute nick name or even a term of extreme respect can take sinister meaning.

“Gadha / gonchu”, "honey bunch" or “aji sunte ho” – after all whats in a name? :bowdown

8 people like this.

2. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very funny mansi :)

My mom too has a cute nickname for my dad and my dad calls her with the shortened form of her name which is kinda cute too!! Though i did not realize it then, i think this is also a part of the whole essense of being in the warm embrace of a loving family which instills a sense of love and stability in the children.

Having nicknames and cute way of addressing adds spice to the otherwise mundane conversation in everyday life...

Very witty and cute witeup!!

1 person likes this.
  4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

ha ha ha.. humorous post :)

5. SujySreeram

SujySreeram Silver IL'ite

Good one dear mansi. Enjoyed it.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Good one, Mansi.
    .all the fight would go out of us by the time we finish yelling “ramaswamy krishnamurthi ke papa” ;)

hahahh makes me want to rename my daughter Kaamaakshi ammal or Sundaraambal .. at least I would lol everytime I say KA ke pappa and thereby ensure marital harmony in the house????

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi.. this was a really cute.. funny post.. loved it
    K

8. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mansi,

Well what is in a name eh ! HAHA

my brother's name is prakash, his wife calls him peter.HAHA

Ghonchu eh ! Well what to say.

AG is a good one i had posted that as a joke in one of my posts.my wife calls me by name, mom never called by name, she used to call sunte ho, the usual, till th e end.HAHA

Superb and hilarious.

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Hilarious post Mansi dear enjoyed reading it. I call ennanga