1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tenured During Pandemic!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by nuss, Feb 10, 2021.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Earlier this week, my husband and I received emails from our university's Provost congratulating us for earning tenure! This is the moment I have been waiting for years. And, when it is here, a different rush of emotions has swept over me. I am very happy and excited for us and our research groups, and at the same time overwhelmed with the thought that how many people lost their jobs and, worse, their loved ones last year. Should I be celebrating when people mourn? Should I be excited to move up and move on while I know so many brilliant women suffered a lack of productivity due to pandemic? All these questions are also intensified by being on a panel discussing how to mitigate and overcome unconscious gender bias in the workplace that especially affects women of color.

2020 was an unusual year for sure, but personally, it wasn't the worst year of my life. I have suffered worse in the past. Last year was more of an inconvenience for me. My parents, my siblings, friends, spouse, and kids are all healthy and happy. We took the year of virtual learning, virtual teaching, seminars, conferences, etc., in a stride. If anything, my husband and I learned to let go of things that aren't in our control and focused on something where we could make a difference. We found a new work-life balance. Kids have been excited to spend days a stretch with parents without disrupting our routine due to travel. We explored our surroundings in one year more than we had in the past four years of living here.

Why this fantastic news that we have worked so hard towards brought me all sorts of emotions? I think a lot of it is because I know what suffering feels like. My past experiences have made me humble and grateful for all happy events. I feel similar emotions now as I felt the day I defended my PhD dissertation! I did it! It has happened!

I know it will take time to process the news. I am sure I will be happy about earning the reward of the years' worth of hard work, but for now, all I am doing is -logging on to the Zoom party to celebrate with colleagues and friends!

Cheers!

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Wow! Congratulations to both of you on your tenure:cheer:
    So happy for you :clap2::thumbup::number_one:. Party time:)
    Share your TT journey if you can. Wish you all the best:wave:

nuss and Rihana like this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations.
    Twins.... and you described the period of gestation, the experience and the final thrill so well. This is black history month... and you may yell out " FREE ..... FREE at last"

The title of this thread sounded like a novel by a Nobel Laureate ==> "Love in the Time of Cholera"

Thyagarajan, nuss and Rihana like this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations!!

nuss likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations, nuss!

nuss likes this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations nuss! :beer-toast1:
    So happy for you and yours!:cheer::cheer::cheer:

And you should celebrate. What you have achieved is not a stroke of luck. You have persevered, faced your obstacles, believed in yourself and faced so many odds to get here. You deserve every bit of it. It has been a tough year for many, and it is precisely in such times you have to celebrate life, celebrate your victories and being grateful to friends and families ; and even the tough situations that made you stronger. It is because of your struggles, that even in this moment of celebration, your heart feels for people who are facing a tough period. The world needs more people like you <3

Amica, nuss and Rihana like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congratulations

nuss likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations @nuss!

nuss likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hearty congratulations nuss! The only way is to celebrate. Agreed, so much is going on around us but personally feel it is also important to hear happy news. Celebrate away! You deserve it! Thank you for sharing with us. It sure put a smile on my face and I am happy for you.

Amica and nuss like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations!!!!

nuss likes this.