tenant woes!!

Discussion in 'Housing in Hyderabad' started by simply_doubtful, Jun 1, 2012.

1. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi Ilites,
    I need advice from you. I had given a two bedroom flat for rent. they're vacating the house tomorrow. today i had gone to check out the apt before they vacated the flat. in one bedroom they had put in a window ac and in another a split.
    some initial background: they have been renting the apt for 5 years. initially they started with 9000rs rent. after two years because all the rents in that block were more than 12000. i asked her to increase rent. after much hassling they increased to 11000. this inspite of 10% increase of rent every year. i din't increase before two years were completed. they paid increased rent for 6 months. later said that rents have decreased everywhere so i reduced rent by a thousand. after reducing they said that the wall coloring should be done. again i capitulated. i had the coloring done.
    after that didn't increase rent till last month. when i called them to increase rent. the tenant wanted to vacate the house as i told them to increase the rent. i said fine.
    today when i went to check out the house i saw that a window has been removed for putting on the window ac. i asked them to replace the grills and windows as they were there. but the tenant told me that they had problem getting a carpenter. so they wouldn't do it. when i told them that i'll get it replaced and deduce the amount from the balance which i have. they said that they won't pay for it. what should i do now. so far i haven't troubled any of my tenants. i have been giving my apt for rent for the past 12 years and this is the first time i have been called a rude and a bad owner. i am so upset. now my problem is should i get that window replaced and deduce the amount from the balance amount or should i let it go. they had removed the window and now an ugly wooden plank is in place of that window. even if i leave it like that new tenants won't like it like that. it looks ugly.
    please dear friends tell me what i should do now. awaiting your replies.
    Hansika

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if you had a agreement that was done initially, there should have been a clause that states the tenant has to bear for the wear and tear..tell your tenant that you will be deducting a xx amount towards maintenance before you rent it out to the new tenant..they cannot say anything..you can deduct the amount from the advance.. get a quotation from a carpenter or somebody for all that has been broken by these people (by broken do not include things that could break with normal wear and tear..)

i am sure your tenant knows that deduction from the advance is normal..since you have reduced/increased rents as per their requests, they feel they can get this out of you.stick to your guns and you are not taking something that is not yours..the one who is going to lose a few thousands will call you rude/harsh words..that is the ways of the world..just relax, and give the cheque for the deducted amount..

you can ask this firmly if you have a rental agreement in place..if you have not got one for this one, please do get one for the next one..

3. simply_doubtful

Hi Shanvy,
    thank you so much for replying so soon. No, we haven't gone for any agreement. she was so rude. and she kept saying that till i vacate the flat tomorrow its mine. you don't have any right. This is the first time someone has been so rude to me. and i still haven't come out of the shock yet. she hasn't paid the maintenance or electricity bill yet and now she is asking for the balance amount. I don't know what to do. they are vacating tomorrow. i haven't troubled them till now. everyone used to say that don't be such a coward. I am prepared to give her money but do i have to pay out of my pocket for the way they spoiled my house. i said that i will put the balance amount after i deduct eb bill but she was so rude. in addition to her, her husband and father was there. and i had gone alone. they quite literally pounced on me. i am still so upset and am struggling to control my tears even while typing this.
    can you tell me what i can do now.
    Hansika

4. CJaya

CJaya Junior IL'ite

Hello Simply doubtful,

It's your flat, be firm. Don't drop tears in front of them. These people would take undue advantage of our weakness. How did they paid the advance? Through cheque or by cash? Did you gave any cash receipt? If they don't have proof for giving advance, then you can play with them. Even if they go to police, it will not work.

Tell them firmly that you would deduct all the EB bills and carpenting/window grill fixing charges. While repaying their advance, please have a proof with you. They may create any problem. If she says anything rude, tell her you would file case on her for defaming your name and creating nuisance at your home.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Be Firm hansika..

If they have deposited rent into your account/ cheques, you can take action against them to an extent as it becomes proof of their tenancy..

and now there are mean tenants and mean owners...but the matching does not happen that way.. do not pay the money just because she is rude.. sometimes you need to know to be firm, or ask your husband or others to handle the issue along with you.

6. simply_doubtful

hi Jaya and Shanvy,
    they had given me three months advance in cash. they used to transfer rent amount into my account. even now she wants me to deposit the amount into her account. as you said i will ask someone to come with me.
    hansika

1 person likes this.
  7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

First ask them what they did to the iron grill in the window. They couldnt have just thrown it away!! If you find the grill, then refixing it will cost much lesser than getting the grill done. They are supposed to return the house in the way it is handed to them. If they have made any modification, it should be with your consent. Else they have to get the repairs done and return the house in the shape it was handed over to them.

Secondly, you got the house painted when they were staying in the house as per their request. If the walls are dirty, then you can deduct the amount for repainting the walls.

Also, dont return the advance amount right now. There might be many wear and tear which you would not have noticed. So tell them that you will check the house AFTER they have vacated and will deduct the amount accordingly.

Dont go to the house alone. Take someone who can give them a piece of their mind. Discuss what you both will talk before you go there and face their arguments or rudeness accordingly.

Wish you good tenants next time.

8. simply_doubtful

Hi orion
    the next time its good tenants. i am giving the apt for my aunt at reduced rent. she takes great care of apts where she has stayed previously. so i'll be happy this time. no they didn't throw the grill away. both grill and the glass windows are there. but they removed the grill without informing us.
    Hansi

9. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

As someone said above, take someone with you the next time.

I would suggest you consult a lawyer, show the agreement that you drafted and see if there are any loopholes and any workarounds to it. I am not saying you will need it.. i feel these people are just bullies and are trying to see how far they can stretch you. If they see you are well prepared.and not alone. They wil cool down.

And next time please - for the sake of your sanity, draft an all encompassing agreement with the help of a lawyer.

A little investment in the beginning will go along way in keeping your peace of mind.

10. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

what happened at last? Is the problem solved? How did you manage to resolve it?