Temples In Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by rakinya, Jul 26, 2013.

1. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILites,

I am starting this thread to discuss about the temples in Kerala. Please drop in and share your experiences if you’ve visited any. :)

Info and Image source:Internet

Let us start with:

Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple- Trivandrum

This temple is one of the famous temples of Lord Ganapathy in Kerala. It is situated at Eastfort, Thiruvananthapuram. The main deity of the temple is Sri Mahaganapathy, seated in a posture with the right leg in a folded manner. This temple is nearly 1.5 kms from railway station and from bus stand. Main offering to the Lord Ganesha is the breaking of coconuts for the fulfillment of any desire or removal of obstacles. Other offerings being made are Ganapathy homam, appam, modakam etc. Major festivals celebrated here are vinayaka chathurthy and sankashti chathurthi. Special poojas are made on Onam, Vishu, Vijayadashami, Maha Shivarathri etc. Other deities in the temple include Dharmasasta, Goddess Durga and Nagaraja.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.

2. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  3. Nandaabhi

Nandaabhi Senior IL'ite

3) Attukal Temple The Attukal Bhagavathy Temple is a shrine in Kerala, India. The temple is renowned for the annual Attukal Pongala festival, in which over a million women participate.The Temple is situated within 2 kilometres of the sree padmanabha swamy temple. Attukal Pongala is the main festival of this temple. Millions of women gather every year in the malayalam month of kumbham around this temple and prepare Pongala.

1 person likes this.
  4. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

4)Vadakkumnathan temple , Thrissur - Vadakkunnathan Temple is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva at City of Thrissur, of Kerala state in India. This temple is a classic example of the architectural style of Kerala and has monumental towers on all four sides and also a kuttambalam. Mural paintings depicting various episodes from Mahabharata can be seen inside the temple.The shrines and the kuttambalam display vignettes carved in wood. The temple, along with the mural paintings, has been declared as a National Monument by India under Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act. According to popular local lore, this is the first temple built by Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu. Tekkinkadu Ground, encircling the Vadakkunnathan Temple, is the main venue of the Thrissur Pooram.

1 person likes this.
  5. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

PARAPPUKAVU TEMPLE

Sree Parappukavu Bhagavathy Temple is situated in Parappukavu Desam of Eranellur Village, Kechery, Thrissur District. The famous Pooram of this temple is celebrated every year in “Meenam” as a local festival.

Awesome experience I had in that temple.Powerfull devi!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sree Lakshmi Varaha Moorthy tempe in East Fort, Trivandrum. A calm, beautiful and tranquil temple. A rather big Varahamoorthy and a petite Devi on His Lap. You just think of Him and He showers Grace---

1 person likes this.
  7. smith2

smith2 Silver IL'ite

Sreevaraham Mukkolakkal Bhagavathy Temple Trivandrum

Sreevaraham Mukkolakkal Bhagavathy Temple is a famous Devi temple in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. One of the renowned Goddess Temples in Kerala, Sri Varaham Mukkolackal Bhagavathi Temple is situated at Sreevaraham, on the south-east of Sree Padmanabha Swami Temple in Trivandrum. The temple is situated on the south of the famous Sreevaraham Lakshmi Varaha Temple. Mukkolakkal Bhagavathy Temple enshrines a Swayambhu (self originated) Panchaloha idol of Goddess Parvati – a manifestation of Goddess Shakti. The temple also has sub shrines dedicated to Lord Ganapathi, Nagaraja (the Serpent God), Brahma Rakshas, Thampuran and Yakshi Amma.

I love this temple and its peaceful atmosphere. Always gives a lot of positive energy.

1 person likes this.
  8. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Attukal Bhagavathy Temple- Trivandrum

The Attukal Bhagavathy Temple, one of the ancient temples of South India, is popularly described as Sabarimala of the Women, as women form the major portion of devotees. The Goddess in the temple of Attukal is worshipped as the Supreme Mother, creator of all living beings and the mighty preserver as well as destroyer of them all. This temple is just 4kms from the bus and railway station.

The pongala mahotsavam is the most important festival of Attukal Bhagavathy Temple. This festival at Attukal has been entered into the Guinness book of world records as the largest congregation of women in the world.

The offering of Pongala is a special temple practice prevalent in the southern part of Kerala and some parts of Tamil Nadu. It is a ten-day programme commencing on the Karthika star of the malayalam month of Makaram-Kumbham (February–March) and closing with the sacrificial offering known as Kuruthitharpanam at night. On the ninth day of the festival the world famous Attukal Pongala Mahotsavam takes place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you divya for your input. As you said, this temple is so calm and well maintained. Indeed it gives a positive vibration to the devotees. I visit this temple on every Saturday.
    Thank you divya for sharing about Vadakkumnathan temple. I've heard about this temple from my friends, but didn't get a chance to visit this temple.

Thank you Nanda for your input. This is one of my favorite temple in Trivandrum.

Thank you sangeetha for your input. I am hearing about this temple for the first time. Surely, I'll visit this temple during my next Thrissur trip.

Thank you Vidya for your input. I always feel a positive vibration in this temple.

Thank you smith for your input. Will definitely go to this temple.

10. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

yes raki

my turning point in life came after visiting this temple!!!!! please do visit her and offer prayers
    Also she is the devi who gets 15000 parai in the full city of Trissur........ very powerful kali