Temples in Gaborone, Botswana

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by balamotwani, Oct 24, 2007.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Dont get surprised to see so many temples in Gaborone, Botswana. I really miss them here in Dubai. Temples- i mean proper temple with gopuram, temple architecture, God's statues, we can do avishegam, archanai, celebrating of all hindu religious festivals and functions like in India.

We have the following temples in Botswana: -
    1) Hindu Hall - Temple with all marble statues - Lord Ram, sita, lakshman, Lord Krishna and radha, Lord Hanuman, Lord Ganesha, saraswathi, lakshmi, Durga mata,......and seperate sanctum for stone statues of Ganesha when you enter the temple then Navgraha- seperate area, then another place for lingam, hanuman. The call it hall but its a temple. This hall also is used for poojas like villaku pooja and other north indian and south indian prayers, poojas, etc. Catering area for prasadam, lunch during prayers etc and also bathroom, toilets. The priest house inside the temple compound.

2) Sai temple - There are many many sai devotees here in Gaborone. Most of them are telugu people. They conduct weekly bajans, balavikas, celebrating of imprtant days - Ishwaramba day, sai baba birthday,....

3) Suryanarayana Temple - The temple architecture is very beautiful. There are some restrictions in this temple for ladies, so i didnt have a chance to go when i was there. It is satyanarayana/suryanarayana temple, mainly i have seen gujaratis in this temple.I cant write more here as i have not gone inside myself.

4) Balaji temple - This is newly built and they did Kumbavishegam. But i saw it when the construction was going on.

So, please ladies in Botswana, correct me if i am wrong and please tell us about the new Balaji temple.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007

2. vidhyamurali

vidhyamurali New IL'ite

hi balamotwani
    it was nice to read yr post .This easter week-end our family was at gabs and we visited the balaji temple. awesome is the word.i am from Zambia and reached balaji temple thru joburg. the temple is well maintained and i was gifted to watch abhishegam for muruga . next day there was a kalyanautsavam at pretoria and we participated in the srinivas kalyanam. the feeling of satisfaction we have obtained after this visit is immense and there are no more words to explain.
    i also visited the hindu hall . i could n't go abt much becos we were heading to joburg and had to return zambia
    luv & regards
    vidhya

3. ojaswita

ojaswita New IL'ite

yes, about the balaji temple in gabs........
    this temple has been built in traditional dravidian style. it was completed in 2007. the kumbhabhishekam took place in september of the same year.
    the temple cosists of santum sanctorums housing sri venkateswara, his consorts sridevi and bhudevi, lord murugan, lord ayyappa, lord shiva, maa vaishnavi devi, sri ganapati and anjaneya swami.
    it is one of the most grand temples in the country.
    all the rituals performed here are well done by the expert priests. there are two priests at the moment.
    srinivasa kalyanam, kavadi utsavam, sudarshan homam have been taking place frequently.
    abhishekams for different deities take place throughout the week everyday. The worships are all performed in a very grand way. And the abhishekam of sri venkateswara is simply a feast for the eyes.
    the deities of venkateswara and his consorts are of live size.
    The architecture and carvings on the temple are decorations themselves.
    in all his pomp and glory, sri venkateswara has readily agreed to reside in this temple for our benefit....... :)

4. swapnaviveka

swapnaviveka New IL'ite

hiiii nice to know we hv such lovely places amd temples.....

regards
    swapna
    kgale

5. Rajchappeta

Rajchappeta New IL'ite

Here is the list of Hindu temples in Gaborone, Botswana. If I missed to list any other temples, please send us a mail to sakalamblog@gmail.com with Images, temple timings & some important things about temple.