1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tell Me All About Compost :-)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by startinganew, Jun 23, 2020.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for you response @DDream
    So interesting to know what each person chooses to follow :) There's an enormous number of suggestions and viewpoints if I read gardening sites. So wanted to see what our fellow ILites follow.

I also got fish fertilizer - but diluting it at the recommended 2 tbs per gallon of water and then adding to each plant was time consuming (lazy me, yes! :)) Tell me how often do you add this fish fertilizer to your veggie/fruit edible plants. Also thanks for the tip about acidic loving plants, I just added it last week to all my plants.

I also got some tomato/vegetable "plant food" from Home Depot - which might be the slow-release fertilizer you mention.

One last question: How do you add vegetable waste to the garden? Do you let it decompose a bit? Or do you dig a hole next to base of plants/trees and add it on and the close up with some dug-out soil? so that it decomposes by itself?

2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

-ah!- true very good point. they could be from the we have a neighbor who keeps insisting i should never but anything "live" in a bag. most of the benificial microbes are dead by the time the bagged stuff comes to the store.

Are you saying look for nurseries? Or farms (horse, chicken) that sell their manure?

I hadn't thought of this. When I started reading about compost, a lot of the material was about above-ground compost piles or compost bins. I was concerned about small animals digging up a compost pile. And the compost bin (100-300$) was going to be an investment without knowing whether I was going to garden regularly. So started with storage tote composting. But I like under the ground style you suggest. So do you collect a lot of veggie/yarn waste, then did a big hole and then start the composting? It doesn't make sense to dig holes for small amounts of home waste, correct? Also after 6-8 weeks - do you dig it up and then spread it around your garden?

Hmm..I don't understand - how can worms be produced from worm castings? do they have eggs?

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

From what I have read about: compost needs a mix of browns (dry leaves, twigs, straw, cardboard, paper), greens (veggie waste, cut grass, ), water and oxygen. Just kitchen waste may not have enough carbon source to become the kind of "brown powdered compost" that I see talked about as "garden gold". But i have heard from my parents that most backyard gardens in India - only veggie waste (and water from veggie/grain washing) was used as nutrients for growing veggies at home. Will wait for others with experience to answer this.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

This is what is confusing for me...I know that manure can be too strong for plants directly and can even burn plants if not mixed in the right proportions or composted enough. Can you please share how you composted your horse manure? Did you just let it dry out in your yard?

hm...I though worm castings meant worm poop :) maybe by castings you mean your manure came with some earthworms?

I love this idea of just alternate between these. :) I was getting tired of figuring how much, how often, what type - and ended up trying one after another in these last few weeks.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have three small pits in one corner of the yard where I throw all the vegetable scraps from the kitchen, crushed eggshells, coffee and tea leaves and chopped up yard waste. I will also throw in a handful of soil every now and then. This gradually becomes a rich brown substance over the course of the season and the piles are always chock-full of earthworms. This method will only work if you don’t have critters in the yard.
    I also save the water from washing vegetables, rinsing rise and dal, soaking beans etc and use it for the plants.

Srama, blindpup10 and startinganew like this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@startinganew- first and foremost, thanks for starting this thread. Very much required for all gardeners is to know about good fertilizer. Noobs like me can learn.

I have been interested in getting above the ground compost bin, as I have a dog and where we live there are coyotes that do not hesitate to get inside the garden. At the same time, I was thinking if I really should invest $300.
    I found out that my city gives out compost bin for $55, I need to call in and place an order how many gallons and all the other deets.
    But $55 is lot better than $300.
    Check on your city's page what they offer also check with your waster management company for compost or how they process waste or if they will provide compost bins.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    startinganew likes this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I did add some soil, and pine needles and weeds I pulled from yard, I am layering them and then watering them once in a while. Its is very mushy now:disappointed: instead of powder.

startinganew likes this.
  8. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

The Guy who delivered the horse manure was kind enough to mature the compost in his yard itself(i placed the order in fall and got it delivered in next end of spring, around May) so it was ready for the plants.

I had some earthworms in my yard before manure, after that it got tripled.

I just follow the instructions on the store brought fertilizers for the quantity but from kitchen just add with the availability!!

startinganew likes this.
  9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Not from personal experience. But from all the videos I watched on composting - the compost pile should be "damp" - not wet or dry. If wet it is recommended to add dry leaves, grass cuttings, shredded paper or cardboard (not glossy paper and those without much ink).

Angela123 likes this.
  10. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

i turn them every other day, my fist batch was ready in 2 weeks and I used it in my garden bed. The pot had a lot of holes to drain moisture in case. I do not use a lot of water, only for the first time added some when it was too dry.

startinganew likes this.