Teenage pregnancy and the boldness of the girl.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by pashni, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are a whole lot of factors at play here. Girls (in India and the West) who get pregnant as teens are primiparas i.e., first time moms. Even adult women who are pregnant for the first time start showing late. I didn't show until after 16 weeks. Secondly most of these girls are actively trying to conceal their pregnancies by wearing over-sized clothes, avoiding prolonged contact with their parents, exercising and dieting to avoid gaining weight. Last but not the least the lack of proper nutrition and prenatal care almost always leads to premature deliveries. In most of the cases that I had mentioned in my earlier post, the babies were preemies with very low birth weights. In fact most such babies die due to lack of neonatal care after delivery hence the murder charges against the girls. So these girls hardly get past 6-7 months before they deliver. Concealing a bulging belly for 2-3 months from parents who are negligent to being with is not that much of a stretch. Quite probable IMO.

2. kssvandana

kssvandana New IL'ite

Principal fainting is the best part of the story...fellow students might not know the difference between pregnancy and a problem in the stomach. Waht happened to the teachers..do they also not know the difference!!! strange...and parents not visiting the child for almost a year...unbeleivable...where was she going for holidays...Dont beleive Kumudam..

3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

As others ladies have already cited, there are cases when the tummies does not really bulge.... and its not one in quadrallion...

I have come across labourers who look and do their routine work as if they are normal... during our house construction there was a woman labourer who looked so skinny and normal and was lifting weight and doing the normal work ....we never knew...it was accidentally that we came to know that she was pregnant and that too 7th or 8th month...we asked her to stop coming...later when I was pregnant I always remember that woman and envy her figure...

Really Malavika... it may be hard for you to believe but the odds are not something like one in quadrallion...it all depends on the environment you are brought up in.... especially when you are in rural India, the odds are that atleast 50 -60 % of the people look and act normal...in fact they laugh at women who are fussing too much about being preg...yes its another thing that the neighbors etc may be knowing they are pregnant...but if these women intend to hide it, it will not be too difficult...and you will be astonished when you hear of tales of deliveries in such communities... the ease with which they deliver babies..is amazing...(I have heard a lot about it but one girl I got to see during my delivery and no she was not sedated)

This may not be entirely convincing....but I personally believe it is possible....

4. swt.charu

and one more thing Malavika... comparing pregnancy and delivery to
    " being hit by a lightning, bitten by a shark and being in a plane crash " is way too far fetched...

a better comparison would be to something like a person is shot in the leg and a fracture in the arm and lets assume his house has caught fire and this person is expected to evacuate... what do you think he would do? sit there and fret about the broken arm and bleeding leg...or somehow escape to safety.... may be what these teenage girls were bearing all the 9 months and during delivery was something similar to this...in the fear of facing something worse, they bear the lesser pains (lesser pains according to their situation..)

5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

No it is not. And I personally think it is highly improbable that a girl was pregnant for that long without anyone noticing any of the signs of pregnancy, especially in a college.

Maybe you should carefully read that part again. I do hope you know what probability of an event is and probability of multiple events happening at the same time mean. So when someone tells you that your odds of winning the lottery are about the same as you being hit by a lightning, they are not comparing winning the lottery to being struck by a lightning, but rather comparing the odds/probability for both those events. The analogy is made with respect to mathematical odds for those events.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

I always wonder ,how in films a girl gets pregnant after a rape, when in real life there r lots of problems in getting pregnant?:rotfl:rotfl
    And reading about a girl delivering in bathroom,bedroom where ever,i envy them.How easily they deliver,while we have to bear a lot of pain,and trouble(my personal exp 1 normal baby and next c sec)?:rotfl
    i really envy them.

7. swt.charu

I do understand what a mathematical probability means.

Mathematical probability can be applied when there is random behaviour. It is applied when all the conditions impacting the outcome are "not known"

In this case we are talking about a girl who is very well aware of what she has done, she knows the outcome, she knows that if it is disclosed she will have to face the wrath of parents, teachers or whoever it is...and she "intends" to hide it...now you tell me how is mathematical probability relevant here ?

Human mind is much much more powerful than what meets the eyes...and bearing a labour pain is just a childs play when you realise the true power of the mind...

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

A woman not showing various signs of pregnancy and child birth....be it morning sickness, bloated stomach, absence of periods, Increased appetite, Weird cravings, pain and noise labour.... are all deviations from the norm in pregnant women and there are statistical odds or statistical probability for each one of those cases. So someone possessing all those characteristics which are deviations from the norm in a pregnant woman does have a statistical or mathematical probability and is the product of individual statistical odds for each one of those signs.

Which is precisely why I asked you to read that part but evidently it does not appear so.

Just for your convenience, this was me below

So I say you are going off on a tangent here.

9. swt.charu

Malavika,

You are talking about the probability of showing or not showing the signs of pregnancy and I am talking about the "capability of hiding the signs" when one intends to do so...

Anyways...I'll choose to "agree to disagree" and move on from this post...

10. vinnyvishy

vinnyvishy Bronze IL'ite

:eek:mg: I cant even believe this has happened
    have u seen a movie " children of men" in that movie nobody would know that girl is carrying. ofcourse that's entirely a different case
    but here is the girl alone to be blamed?????
    where is the boy? what abt the unvisited parents?
    what abt the warden, lecturers?
    I still dont believe that nobody was aware that the girl was preg.
    I really feel pity for that helpless girl
    -vinnyvishy