Teenage pregnancy and the boldness of the girl.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by pashni, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

No I cannot. Unless both parents were blind and deaf, this is highly improbable. I personally have not delivered a baby yet, but do you realize the noise and screams a woman makes during labour?LOL And the parents did not notice she was preggers the whole 10 mos? Even Forrest Gump can tell.

Yea, it is easy to blame other people for your lack of responsibility but that does not necessarily mean it is a valid blame. Teachers are not paid to babysit your kids and they are there to teach. Period. They have their own kids to take care of, let alone keep an eye on what 40 or 50 of their students are doing. If I were the teacher, I would sue the school for wrongful suspension and not to be left out, stupidity.

These things happen even in Saudi Arabia and Iran, countries with draconian laws that are tilted in men's favour, let alone in a democratic country like India.

I think school girls and college women having free access to contraception with anonymity, is the most pragmatic thing and its good these women have access to BCPs and other contraceptives and they know better to take precautions and use them.

Well believe it or not, you are not the moral police or the chaperone for every kid out there. It is their parents' sole responsibility to keep an eye on the kid and teach them right from wrong in a pragmatic way. You just explain them the consequences of teen pregnancy and how that can change your life drastically and trust them to make better judgements. Along with that, you also teach them about safe sex and contraception. Parents who fail to do that and instead prefer burying their head in the sand like the proverbial ostrich, are usually the ones that pay the heavy price.

2. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

This is impossible. First as Mal, pointed won't the lady scream out of pain, secondly let us assume the parents are deaf, how can she deliver a baby and come downstairs and have dinner immediately. Unless she has some super energy in her.

3. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I am assuming somewhere between the dinner and the child delivery, she managed to clean up the mess she left in the bathroom as well LOL

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As improbable as it may seem, there doesn't seem to be a dearth of stories of teen-moms successfully hiding their pregnancies. Just Google the word 'neonaticide', and you will be shocked.

I remember the story of the so called 'prom-mom' Melissa Drexler, who gave birth in a restroom during her prom, dumped the baby in the garbage can and rejoined her friends on the dance floor :shock:. She was caught and prosecuted for manslaughter. Then there was this Law & Order episode based on the true story of a girl and her boyfriend who checked into a motel, delivered the baby and tossed it into a dumpster. As soon as they were charged with murder, they started accusing each other of master-minding the crime. Both ended up in prison. There was even one about a girl who climbed down a balcony to give birth in the garage while the parents slept in the same house. There are so many more.

I think the common factor in all these cases has to be a serious absence of parenting. How could the parents miss signs of pregnancy? A teen can hide a belly under layers of clothing but what about nausea, fatigue and that unmistakable pregnant waddle during the last few weeks?

An interesting theory that I read somewhere says that most of these teenage girls who hide pregnancies and end up murdering/abandoning their babies fit a profile. They are usually daddy's girls, popular cheer-leading types and have serious mommy issues. In fact some of them claim that an overwhelming fear of their mothers' reactions led them to commit these crimes. I personally don't think this theory holds much water. It seems to stem from Freud's catch-all 'You can blame it on mom' excuse.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

How can parents miss the signs of pregnancy of their daughter for a whole ten months? Seems like a case of absence of a functioning brain than absence of parenting.

If I had parents that stupid, I would disown them LOL

6. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

Really worried to think where the country is going in culture and parenting..

7. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

I have first hand experience in dealing with such teenage pregnancy/rape cases in India while working with United Nations.

In 2006, a village leader called our office and informed about a domestic violence case (i.e a teenage daughter was thrown out of her home after being seriously beaten by her dad). The villagers noticed that this girl and her mom were screaming, and crying.. while her dad was shouting at the girl using abusive languages. No one understood what was going there, but realized the seriousness of the matter and informed our office through one of our village focal point.

When we landed there, we noticed a young girl of 18 yrs old laying down in the road before her house, wearing a wet dress with full of blood. Beside her a small infant (baby boy), was sleeping silently.

The girl’s parents were shouting loudly and her younger siblings were crying without knowing what to do.

Her mother said, her daughter delivered a baby boy just 1hr before and they don't know who is the culprit behind this pregnancy (meaning who is the father of this new baby)

The dad said he doesn't even want to talk about this matter with anyone, so asked us to leave the place immediately.

They are Muslims, hence they normally wear long lose dresses all the time. So, no one had noticed her pregnancy before.

The place was filled with local villagers and everyone has started to say taunts to this young girl.

It wasn't that easy for us to clean the crowd and take the victim to the hospital. And a police complaint was also made as the girl was badly abused by her own parents.

When one of our counselors questioned, the girl reveled all the truth and it was a BIG shock for all of us.

The case:

This 18 year old village girl was so ignorant about sex and maternal health. She had no friends with whom she can talk about sex matters, at the same time it was considered as a taboo to talk about sex matters before marriage.
    No sex education, no movies, no magazines, nothing... So she was just zero in that subject.

On the other hand, her mom doesn't want to have sex with her dad anymore as she thought she is old hence she should control her urges. But she was just 40 yrs by then. This has seriously affected her dad who was just 43 yrs old, but had so much physical urges to have frequent sex.

Once the mom went to her native place to visit her parents with her younger children, the elder daughter (victim) was left behind at home as to do all the house hold chores... Cooking and taking care of dad while mom is not around.

Her mean dad used this occasion to fulfill his sexual urges with his innocent daughter. He brought a bottle of soft drink (some village medicine added in it) to home and kindly asked his daughter to have a drink.

After having the drink, the daughter felt dizzy and then fell asleep. This is what the daughter could remember....

On the next day, she noticed that her dresses were removed, and some severe pain in her private part with slight bleeding. She was shocked, but didn't want to discuss this matter with her dad, so she continued her house hold works normally until her mom returns in the evening.

It seems the man was keep on asking his daughter about her monthly period cycle and the dates. When it got delayed for the first time, he advised her to wash off some cloths (village type sanitary napkins) to pretend as everything is normal. He promised to take her to the city hospital for this delay, and asked her not to tell anything to her mom. She was confused, but didn't take it seriously.

No one has noticed any difference in her stomach as she used to wear very lose and long dress always, but she has noticed the difference and told her mom about it. But the girl herself didn’t know that she could be pregnant.

Her innocent mom started giving her village medicines to regulate her period as she thought delayed period might have disturbed her daughter’s stomach.

Even during her labor pain neither the daughter nor her mom aware about the reason behind this pain. After trying so much village medicines, the mom approached a medical officer of a nearby clinic centre, but unfortunately the officer was not ready to visit their home. In the mean time, the daughter delivered the baby.

The father pretended as if he knows nothing about it and over reacted to avoid further suspicions.

But our legal team opted for a DNA test, and finally located the culprit... YES, the father raped the girl without her consent... and it was a complicated INCEST case.

The father was arrested, and still in the jail.. The daughter and her baby are safe in a recuperation centre...The mother was waned by the court for her ignorance towards her teenage daughter.

So, it is possible to be pregnant and deliver a baby without any signs/indications.

To answer the OP:-

According to the OP’s case, it is the fault of our village community who still think sex education is a taboo. Even though the girl was studying in a college, she should have learnt nothing about safe sex or STDs or pregnancy or safe sex.

Second of all, it is the fault of the girl (and the guy as well), as if they are adult enough to have sex, they should be adult enough to think about it consequences too.

Thirdly it is the fault of the parents, as they raise their kids are dependants and never expose them to the other side of the world, but once admitted them in the college they never visit them or take care of their well being. It is hard to believe that the girl’s parents have not visited her for 6-7 months, otherwise they would have noticed her stomach or learnt from her friends about her stomach illness drama.

Thirdly, I suspect the closeness of the hostel metes, as sharing same room, how someone can simply ignore the pregnancy systems of room met… No periods, vomits, nusea, morning sickness, big stoimach… Whatsoever the illness, they should at least take her to the campus medical centre.. How can you keep a person in your room whose stomach is abnormally big, and looks sick without informing the warden about her so called sickness????

Ignorance is everywhere in our country… That has to be cured at the first place:bonk!

8. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Very shocking story.One of the worst I have heard.

9. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Tugga

It still boggles my mind how a pregnancy can be missed and not seen for the entire 10 months. There are way too many signs and indications one has to ignore for this to be possible. Your monthly visitor stops paying a visit (decidual bleeding is possible in some cases which could be misread but this is mostly a first trimester phenomenon in those exceptional cases), you have morning sickness, increased appetite, weird cravings and of course the obvious bulge in your stomach that keeps getting only bigger. So it is not just one sign but several and to me, missing them all for the entire time seems logically improbable. And then the child delivery and the fact that these alleged women have delivered their babies in sacks and bathrooms and came back to eat dinner or be with friends as if they went for a coffee break. It is hard to miss the noise and screams from labour with people around unless the woman is Brooke Shields marooned in a remote island with no one around.

It logically does not add up and hence very highly improbable.

10. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

This is shocking to me too...

But neverthless I don't think it is way too difficult to hide pregnency that too when one intentionally wants to hide it.

Not everyone has the sympoms of morning sickness and nausea. cravings need not be told to anyone when one intends to hide the pregnancy.

About the labor pains... I have first hand experience of "seeing" women who just bear it all without any noise. During my labor pains.. I was screaming like all hell broke loose and the one next to me who too was in pain had just closed her eyes as if meditating on something and bearing it all.. .. she in fact delivered before me and no noise at all... and more over it was first for her too...

if we go back a 3 or 4 generations back, pregnancy and delivery were no big deal for women then...it was like an annual conference conducted in our companies every year...my mom too was always chiding me..."don't fret too much about being preg ... it is just as normal as having a pair of eyes... women have a natual instinct to protect themselves and the child during pregnancy just the way you blink your eyes when you sense some danger to eyes"

But all said and done... it is still the parents fault....you don't need a nausea , a morning sickness , a bulging belly or any other signs to know something is "not ok" with your child...

just by seeing my child's face I can say something is not correct ... my mother has the same instincts when it comes to me.....

so its all about what kind of bonding you have with your child...