1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Technology – Boon or Curse?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iswaryadevi, Nov 18, 2010.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Though this has been a well researched topic, I would like to pour my own thoughts. Recently I saw an article which featured a woman’s real life story. Here it goes…

She has been married for a couple of years. Her husband left to U.S within one month of their marriage and she was preparing for her passport, visa and other formalities. Though there was physical distance between them, they were madly in love with each other and they could not bear being separated. So the only choice they had was to talk over phone. Every night, they spoke at least for 1 hour, and her husband expected her to indulge in intimate talks. This continued for few months until one day when her husband found their most intimate conversations in internet. Devastated they took this to the higher officials and the investigation revealed the following possible reasons:

• Most of the mobile phones come with pre-installed applications that can automatically record all incoming and outgoing calls which will get saved in the memory card. Though the files can be deleted, there are many recovery tools available to recover the deleted files.

• Many call center agents are provided with options to listen to/record conversations. Some night shift agents make it a habit to listen to calls which are made at late hours and that are pretty lengthy.

• Online advertisements which ask people to call some ISD number and chat with girls. They can record your conversations.

Though I believe all the above points are possible, I have my own doubts regarding the 2nd point. Do Telecom operators really provide access to call center agents to record conversations? That does not make sense to me. Can someone in this field shed light on this?

The article also came up with some equipments available in one of the areas in Chennai which is very famous for electronic items (Chennaites can easily guess this place)

• Clone sim – Anyone can bring the original sim and get a clone sim. All calls which the original sim receives, the clone sim will also receive, enabling the user to monitor or record the calls

• An antenna which captures the all calls in the neighborhood where it is fixed.

I do not know how much of this is true. But it is always better to be alert and safe right? I would like to share my experience too. 6 years back when I first got a mobile, I too was one among the many who could never be separated from it. I spoke everyday with my friends for at least 2 hours per day. The remaining time, I spent either sending forward messages to my friends or playing the games in the mobile. This in addition to 6 years of working in I.T (continuous keyboard usage) has finally started showing me the result. For the past few months, I am unable to talk in mobile for more than 5 minutes or work in keyboard, otherwise which I get severe pain in fingers, arms, shoulder and neck. I take breaks in between so that the pain does not get worse. Of course, this was my mistake too.

I do not want to scare anyone, but just a word of caution. Too much of anything is a problem. So please, when you talk in mobile phones, be careful. There are vultures all around us in this online world ready to catch us prey.

sindmani likes this.

2. padma777

padma777 Senior IL'ite

How can I express my thanks to u? I have no words for it. One should be conscious while transmitting any confidential material through the mobile phone. Nice blog... Hoping for a similar one in future

3. iswaryadevi

Thank you very much :)

4. iswaryadevi

Thank you very much :)

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Wow Ishwarya, I wasnot aware of some of the points you listed above. Thanks for sharing this info with all of us here. But is this possible for messages also? I mean if the calls are received in the duplicat sim will the sms sent too recieved there? Also can the people with dupe sim attend those calls? Or how do they listen to them or does they come just as missed calls? So many doubts...hope someone can anwer them:(

6. videsha

videsha New IL'ite

wow!!! tks a lot for ur concern... it takes guts to boldly voice out discrepencies in our society..God Bless You Always Dear!!!

7. iswaryadevi

I do not have answers to your questions dear...I myself have those doubts...Thanks a lot for dropping in :thumbsup

8. iswaryadevi

Thanks a lot dear :bowdown

9. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Thank u Ice, I was a little busy and I couldn't log in for some days. Hence the delay. I also had a bad experience with my mob which I have brought out in my blog The call. Thank u for the information
    Maalti

10. iswaryadevi