1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Team effort!

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

We were an enthusiastic team once

as we competed to raise a healthy child

he, with his professional tact and hidden affection,

me, with my maternal warmth and instinctive wisdom

we struggled happily

moulding clay we held daintily in our hands everyday.

Initial euphoria of influencing thought

slowly ceased as we were taught to falter and learn

growing up together with our mound of clay.

Now, we sit together to mourn failed expectations

as our child, our hope,

longs for a home away from home,

from our home

preferring the world of the west

to our quiet and cozy nest.

Where had we gone wrong we wonder!

We search frantically for errors in the files of our past

forgetting that the die up there had already been cast!

Battling with memories of by gone days,

we wage little wars with tattered desires.

We silently observe other teams as they mould their dreams

wondering whether their mound of clay

will stay or go away

like the large space in our little home-

an emptiness that keeps growing with every moment

clawing at our heart, tearing our emotions apart.

We cling onto hope. We still want to be a team!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice to read Shail Raghuvansh.
    As you said, the die is already cast.
    One can only be a witness but.
    Only solace is that the child is going to climb greater heights.
    And there are 2 to face it.
    Thanks. -rgs

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Rg Srinivasan,

Thanks. Nice to know that you liked the poem. This unfortunately, is the case in many families in India. The problem is that some of these parents are the ones who prod their children to go for higher studies abroad and when the boy doesn't want to come back it is a great emotional setback.

Nice Day
    Shail

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Shail,
    This seed of going abroad to have good placement in the society and earn money, is somehow placed directly or indirectly into the minds of young people.
    But one thing, parents should expect this emotional setback too.
    As Rgs pointed out..the thought of at least our children is living happily would mellow their setback to some extent.

No one can be blamed in this situation..I remember a Tamil movie song here, which goes like this:"It is neither your fault nor my fault, only blame the time and period.."

sriniketan

5. harianant

harianant New IL'ite

Thanks for highlighting this sensitive issue. It reminds me about the plight of my neighbour.

I have a neighbour whose son and daughter are living abroad for several years. Their daughter requested the mother to visit them only when she was pregnant to assist her as it is very costly to engage a maid. After her job was over, mother was promptly sent back to India. After a few months, it was son's turn to call mother for the same purpose. The poor lady used to be very upset when such calls come as they never thought of her during normal times. She left her husband alone here and he had manage with food from catering agencies. He suffered from severe illness and was hospitalised without proper care is another story.

It is really sad to see such things.....

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,
    A very touching poem. Small simple words carrying enormous emotional weight.
    I wish every parent reads this poem. I am sure that the parents of the earlier generation sowed this 'America' dream in their children. And they are the losers.
    Recently my friend's mother died. He was in the US. He came to India ten days after her death.
    And then two months later his father died. He did not come at all. What was the point, he said, of spending a few thousands of dollars on air ticket during recessionary times?
    economically sound argument, but emotionally blank minds, Shail.
    In those days I used to see the queue before the US consulate. the queue would be there even at mid-night. In those days we were working in Chennai and when I return late I used to see this visa-crowd. I used to become furious.
    The anger never abated till I wrote in my motivational series in dinamalar three years ago.
    I had written that my life-time dream was to see the Indian Consulate in Washington DC crowded with Hispanic Americans dying to go to India, their waiting there in the queue from midnight.
    The day is not far off, Shail.
    A very well written poem, again a poem that intensifies my longing to hold your very first published book of poems.
    Go for it, Shail.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,

Nice poem, but a little too late to mourn the happenings!

Like others have said, like it or not, die has been cast!

I am already the second generation and that's saying something considering my age!!!!!

This is the way of living these days...Every other home, or should I make it..every home.. in India has at least one member settled abroad!

L, Kamla

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I know you are a committed son and have stayed true to your soil. But not all those who leave their mother land are callous. They too love their homeland, only life demands other things.

Yes, I too will be proud when embassys world over are filled with people asking for visas to live in India, why just Hispanics in Washington?! But then, the heartache in each of their homes will not be any different or less poignant! Hope you get my point? :)

L, Kamla

9. indranitalukdar

indranitalukdar New IL'ite

I know what you mean, Shail. With my siblings setled abroad I was the only one who could return to the family fold, so i did. And I am glad for having done so.

10. ShailRaghuvansh

Dear Bhargavi,

Thanks. Yes, the seed sowed cannot be removed when it is has become a plant elsewhere. Unfortunately, parents do not think of the loneliness that they have to come to terms with when their children no longer come back to them.

It is indeed a very tragic state. I do not know whether only the situation can be blamed here. Somewhere, in a large way, the complaining parents and the abroad-enthusiastic sons/daughters are to blame too. Don't you think so?

Nice Day
    Shail