1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching toddlers at home methods/systems

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Informative thread and wonderful links :)))
    Thank you all there:)

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Vanathi and others,

Even I was thinking about this recently. I grew up in a joint family and became a victim of constantly stamping a child as BAD. I knew am good at 4yrs(!), i knew am right most of the times, but people are unnecessrily blowing things up, and my mom is helpless in defending. Though i knew i am good, not as bad as they all think, over the time, i did loose my self-confidence. I became low in the starting of my teens.. Only in my 10th grade, i started to get back my confidence (Thanks to my corporation school Principal. I adore her till date and she was full of tears during my wedding!).
    Given this history, i am over-conscious about the comments people pass on my child (adamant - for just a single incident on her nagging me for something, coward - she was not talking to strangers, she wont allow anybody to touch, even a handshake wud make her cry loudly). She is totally upside down now, all bubbly and happy kid, but when people passed bad comments on her, i wud interrupt them and say, SHE IS FINE, she isnt bad, she is good, etc. But somewhere in my corner, i wud constantly hear an echo - AM I OVER-DOING THE PRAISE part???
    Given this situation, how do you all think that i should react? Also make DD feel a lil comfortable but not over-blow her good qualities? I am short of vocabs... not getting the right words, but i hope you all understand and respond.

Totally off-topic, my elementary schooling was good. But later, I was into Govt run corporation schools, where iiinnggggeeelllleeeesssss was a real head-ache for many, not a language. All the English now I speak and write is copied from Doordharshan (DD National) and The Hindu. My parents cud introduce only this much and am thankful :))

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pon, I think you and I went through similar circumstances, eh! I hate it when children are labelled. I really hate it when people start tagging children on the basis of one off behaviour. DS was really unhappy at home yesterday and we went to a bookshop near our house for me to pick up a gift for a friend. Well, he was the loudest kid in the shop. Well, he was the most inquisitive too. Someone comes to me and asks me "how do I deal with a hyperactive kid like him?" I have to say I lost it, basically gave them a lecture on child psychology and development. :)
    My child is a shyster too, I do try to encourage him to be polite to people and respond only as much as he wants. Most of my friends are fine with that. With the rest the gloves come off :)

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Right krithika I too shootup at the very moment I hear her stamped-bad, but often i drift into the thought process, over-doing the praise part.

Ok, on books, i have a few questions.

All,
    1) Financially, how much do you all allocate on books per month/year?
    2) How often do you buy? I feel gifting her a book on every good deed is working.
    3) Where do you buy? These days I never find time for LANDMARK shopping, which I love. Are there online sites which you guys have tried ordering? Esp-Tulika books from their websites? I have ordered online from Landmark, but not from any other sites.
    4) Suggest some books for her, she is not having a great collection, but the below.
    Magic pot - she loves it sooooooo much!
    Bruno/barney/Pepper series - Manners based books
    All classics - Cindrella, jack and the bean stalk, goldilocks, all such things

I would like to start her a good number of collections for her. I would like to get your views on Dr.Seuss's and Tulika. Is there a way I can get order these online? I want the exact title which you found good for your kids. Suggest me some other titles too which would be apt for her age.

I love books, but never had the oppotunity through out my childhood. DH had even more bad childhood, he is not an ardent book lover. But I want my kids to develop their love for books and the love for learning.
    TIA.

PS: While searching Landmarkonthenet, I am confused with the below.
    http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/product/SearchList.aspx?code=One+fish+two+fish&type=0&num=0
    Which one shall I order?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Thankyou, Vanathi :)
    Yess we too find Landmark is expensive, but we give in, coz we get tempted there, amidst books :) Good that am not able to shop there! I have ordered Dr.Seuss'. Gosh, this month I have already crossed 1000/- on books:hide:
    May be I should stop reading this thread for a while :rotfl

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am a cheapo, I buy books from used book marts/those kalyana mandapam based book sales. You get great books slightly worn for Rs 30 and 50. Thankfully there is one near my home and I found one more in Mylapore (thanks Vidyaa).
    The only expensive thing I got for DS (well, it is mainly for him but I read it now) is the compendium of Dr Seuss. I am the sort who finds learning opportunity in everything, so I end up using a lot of books that do not seem for children in the first place. I may have totally spent around 2000 for DS for his around 50/60 books. The only thing I have been ready to invest money is in the Tulika/Karadi Tales stuff.
    Even in Landmark I aim to get books for less than 150 Rs, I dont do the series. I found them very preachy. The only one I use is for sleeping (we went through huge sleep issues.) I was also raised without many books (well my parents were very middle class madhavans ;-) )So, I read a lot of books from libraries. We are members at a few and whenever I see a good one, we make full use of it. I think if our children see us being interested in books, they will automatically develop an interest.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

One more place to get great, cheap books - Cambridge University Press's bookstore (in Chennai). Most of their early readers are under 50 bucks and are well written and illustrated - only they are all paperback. For older kids they also have great workbooks etc. http://www.cambridgeindia.org/CReading.asp and http://www.cambridgeindia.org/cambbs.asp are both good (seem to be available for online shopping but I havent tried that yet...now I will :) ). We have many from the first series and DS likes them a lot.

V.

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Vanathi, I got them :)))) Had a book exhibition in DD's school today, they had Tulika's, Cambridge's, Apple's, Dr.Seuss's, many Indian authors' small 5-6page, large prints too... I got soooooo many of Indian books, all below 50/-
    I got many in the 20-30Rs range, to gift all her friends... For their BDay. Felt nice to browse books, after a loooonnngg gap !!!

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yet another is Ladybird - we got 2 from the Read it yourself series last month and they are really good! (Each around 100 bucks)

Pon - thats great. Let me know if she liked any particular ones.

V.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009