1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching Alphabet

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by catherine26, Oct 13, 2017.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    My son was going to school past one week as a preschooler while checking monthly planner given by his school they finished letter up to "j" surely my son doesn't listen what had teached because past two week he crying a lot in school
    He will say alphabet but doesn't recognise the letter how can I teach him to recognise the alphabet?? Please help

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

Hi i have a pre-kg kid at home. Buy a chart for alphabets n hang it in your room. Show him alphabets whenever he is in receptive mood.
    Also get alphabet books which shows it in a bigger size. Only those catch their attention.
    Hope this helps.

yellowmango likes this.
  3. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Simple. Hang over huge charts in all prominent places in your hovel and sound and image would connect the visual in his mind. you can write with sketch pen on chart paper big and small a A. if he cries you imitate crying. perhaps he would stop crying watching you crying. for each letter use separate chart paper. Thanks and Regards. Seasons greetings.

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....there are many ways you can re enforce what is taught in class.
    You can check with the teacher what method they are using for teaching . You can do the same at home.

Make it fun

Putting chart is good.
    Buy the alphabet fridge magnets. They are not just good for alphabet recognition but will also help when he start learning reading small words.

You can show him the letter and ask him to say the letter and stick to the fridge. Similarly you can ask him to get that letter from the fridge.

Show him a letter. Ask him to find that letter in his book or even in the heading of magazines.

Later you can give him a colour pen and ask him to circle the letters in the newspaper or magazines.

Ask him to find letters on road signs, posters,or even signs on shops like 'sale ' ' free' etc. Turn it into a fun thing for him.

If recognising letters is a problem.....then making him touch and run his fingers on the letter will help. E.g. cut out an 'A' on a sand paper. Say the letter and ask him to repeat by running his finger on the sand paper . This way he is hearing the letter,seeing it and touching it.
    You can use the alphabet magnets also for this.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, I like to add youtube videos of alphabet songs. That helped my kids . Also play games like find a letter, for example find 'A' from street sign or ad boards or book or anywhere. Make it fun.

7. Thyagarajan

:hello:super and pragmatic ideas perhaps from a seasoned Mother. God Bless Us All. thank You. Regards. Happy Deepavali.

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Put a chart with big letters and by the side of letter a picture which starts with that letter....A and a picture of apple, B with a picture go ball...like that. Then he would look at the chart more often....then along with picture he would look at the alphabet also.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

nice idea to budding mother. Happy Deepavali. Thanks and Regards. God Bless Us All.